Charleybarley tries again - Jan 2013

The stew is amazing Rosie. I have put my recipe in the Recipe section - have a little look, if you can't find it I will copy and paste it in my diary. What was in the Caribbean Spice Pack?

xxx
Thanks, I will go and look in the recipe section. The packet I bought had following spices:
salt, paprika, coriander, chilli, onion, garlic, celery, flavour enhancer and a few E numbers. It tasted very artificial and tasteless. It aws called caribbean everyday seasoning. I was really disappointed as I hav eheard caribbean seasonings are amazing.

Thanks, I will go and look in the recipe section. The packet I bought had following spices:
salt, paprika, coriander, chilli, onion, garlic, celery, flavour enhancer and a few E numbers. It tasted very artificial and tasteless. It aws called caribbean everyday seasoning. I was really disappointed as I have heard caribbean seasonings are amazing.

They are amazing, but those pots are no good on their own. For a typical caribbean curry we use Caribbean Curry Powder (you can use regular curry powder, its not wildly different), All Purpose Seasoning, Jerk Seasoning, Thyme, Pimento powder, garlic, salt, paprika - in fact I use these spices for most of my foods now, you only need a tsp or two of each.

They are amazing, but those pots are no good on their own. For a typical caribbean curry we use Caribbean Curry Powder (you can use regular curry powder, its not wildly different), All Purpose Seasoning, Jerk Seasoning, Thyme, Pimento powder, garlic, salt, paprika - in fact I use these spices for most of my foods now, you only need a tsp or two of each.

I normally, mix my own seasoning but when I saw that pack, I bought it. When I go shopping next time I get some jerk seasoning and mix with all other stuff I got at home.. I use all my spices in soups too which gives it a much nicer flavour.

Found your recipe and going to try it later in the week.

Have a great day.

Sounds like you might have slept on your hip bone funny Charley esp if your not in your
usual bed
I have a hard memory foam mattress and every time I stay over my sons on his soft fluffy
one I get up in the morning looking like Quasimodo

goes off to find that recipe ;)

Sounds like you might have slept on your hip bone funny Charley esp if your not in your
usual bed
I have a hard memory foam mattress and every time I stay over my sons on his soft fluffy
one I get up in the morning looking like Quasimodo

goes off to find that recipe ;)

I may well have slept funny actually Mumma, although I wasn't aware I had any bones as I haven't seen or felt most of them for years!!!! I could well be a jellyfish for all I know! I hope that's all it is, I can hear a weird clicking whenever I take a purposeful step, although I am not convinced it is an outward click, more like something only I can hear, if that makes sense :confused:.

Hey hun, can totally sympathise on the hip, hope it feels better for you tomorrow, does it feel inflamed as perhaps put an ice pack on it x

Your Caribbean dish sounds good, I'll have to look it up x

Hey hun, can totally sympathise on the hip, hope it feels better for you tomorrow, does it feel inflamed as perhaps put an ice pack on it x

Your Caribbean dish sounds good, I'll have to look it up x

Its not a pain like you must get Helen, its more a dull ache, it doesn't feel inflamed, its just achy and a bit clicky when I try and walk at a pace. I am hoping its nothing, but will keep an eye on it as my mum suffers terribly with her hip at the moment and the hospital are mucking her around because they don't want to spend money on giving her a new hip (which is what she needs) but they are saying she is too young - so she carries on suffering. I feel bad for her because she and my dad are newly retired and they love going for walks and what with her hip and she is now suffering with arthritis in her back, she can't do much walking at all now.

Thursday 25th October

Well today is a good day, hip is still paining me a little but I feel good. I feel like this week I have lost some, weigh in is not until tomorrow morning, but I am feeling positive that I have lost at lease a couple of pounds (although I have probably cursed it now my mentioning it!). I really want to see the number 16 on the scales, I haven't seen that figure in three years, when I first met Mick - I would love to be back there again. I was 16st 8lbs when we first met, which is no waif like weight I know, but I bounced up to 18st 10lb 2 christmasses ago and I definitely dont want to see the 18s again! I have been stuck in 17st limbo for months - let me out!!!!!

So food today:

B - 2LMc Red Onion and Rosemary Sausages, 1 boiled egg and a wholemeal muffin (HEB tweak) (2) for LF spread and (1) for Ketchup

L - Chicken Salad (1) for salad cream.

D - Spag Carbonara with tomato and red onion salad (2.5 for chorizo) (HEA) for phili/parmesan combo

image-3391452508.jpg

Snacks - 2x apples, banana, mango, yogurt, banana.

Syns - 6.5

Water - 2 litres plus two more pints of water, one large coffe, plus one glass of pepsi max - yes I wee all day long!

Last edited:
Thursday 25th October

Well today is a good day, hip is still paining me a little but I feel good. I feel like this week I have lost some, weigh in is not until tomorrow morning, but I am feeling positive that I have lost at lease a couple of pounds (although I have probably cursed it now my mentioning it!). I really want to see the number 16 on the scales, I haven't seen that figure in three years, when I first met Mick - I would love to be back there again. I was 16st 8lbs when we first met, which is no waif like weight I know, but I bounced up to 18st 10lb 2 christmasses ago and I definitely dont want to see the 18s again! I have been stuck in 17st limbo for months - let me out!!!!!

So food today:

B - 2LMc Red Onion and Rosemary Sausages, 1 boiled egg and a wholemeal muffin (HEB tweak) (2) for LF spread and (1) for Ketchup

L - Chicken Salad with a Roast Chicken Mugshot (1) for salad cream.

D - Spag Carbonara with tomato and red onion salad (2.5 for chorizo) (HEA) for phili/parmesan combo

Snacks - 2x apples, banana, mango, yogurt.

Syns - 6.5

Water - 2 litres plus two more pints of water, one large coffe, plus one glass of pepsi max - yes I wee all day long!

Good to hear your feeling good Charley :D
and fingers crossed for getting into the 16's

Charley good uck with WI tomorrow and glad you are feeling better and happier today. Have a great evening. Trying Caribbean chicken tonight.

Mumma K said:
Good to hear your feeling good Charley :D
and fingers crossed for getting into the 16's

Thanks Mumma, although it won't be for a while yet - I weighed in at 17.4 last Friday.

Been reading up on you too, altho I havent messaged yet - congrats to you! You have done so so well Mumma, and on the final stretch too, been wondering what that must feel like ... Pretty fooking amazing I imagine? Well done!! Xx

Rosielea said:
Charley good uck with WI tomorrow and glad you are feeling better and happier today. Have a great evening. Trying Caribbean chicken tonight.

Thanks Rosie. I feel really good at the moment and long may it last...probably until I creep on the scales tomoz and they fell me something I do not want to hear! Ooh I hope you like it, let me know what you think, I will pop onto your diary later. Xx

Well I managed to find Brick Lane in my lunch hour today and without needing a wee! I found a fab Supermarket called Bangla City. Ooh it was great, I could have spent carloads of money in there sadly it would have all been on naughty foods. I wandered around a little agog and not knowing what to get. I wanted coconut essence which I can't find for love nor money and am reluctant to buy it online and endure the costly p&p charges - anyhow they never had that, nor did they have tamarind messaman paste, both of which I also needed. But I found a coconut milk powder which works out as 3 syns per tbsp I think (well per 10g which should be around 1 tbsp) so I was going to give that a go with some Kara coconut milk. I bought some panang paste which I will make for Monday nights tea. Some tinned gungo peas and some fresh ginger. They had some wonderful looking fruit and veg too. I need to go again and be brave and try new stuff. Man oh man the pulses abd beans section was awesome as was the spice section. They also had a freezer section which was full of Samosas and spring rolls. They had a butcher at the back too but it was busy and I was too shy just to go and have a nose! It was all very reasonably priced too - in the words of Arnie, I will be back! Xx

Charleybarley said:
Thanks Mumma, although it won't be for a while yet - I weighed in at 17.4 last Friday.

Been reading up on you too, altho I havent messaged yet - congrats to you! You have done so so well Mumma, and on the final stretch too, been wondering what that must feel like ... Pretty fooking amazing I imagine? Well done!! Xx

Awww thanks Charley

Yeah.... It feels darn good ;)

Charleybarley said:
Well I managed to find Brick Lane in my lunch hour today and without needing a wee! I found a fab Supermarket called Bangla City. Ooh it was great, I could have spent carloads of money in there sadly it would have all been on naughty foods. I wandered around a little agog and not knowing what to get. I wanted coconut essence which I can't find for love nor money and am reluctant to buy it online and endure the costly p&p charges - anyhow they never had that, nor did they have tamarind messaman paste, both of which I also needed. But I found a coconut milk powder which works out as 3 syns per tbsp I think (well per 10g which should be around 1 tbsp) so I was going to give that a go with some Kara coconut milk. I bought some panang paste which I will make for Monday nights tea. Some tinned gungo peas and some fresh ginger. They had some wonderful looking fruit and veg too. I need to go again and be brave and try new stuff. Man oh man the pulses abd beans section was awesome as was the spice section. They also had a freezer section which was full of Samosas and spring rolls. They had a butcher at the back too but it was busy and I was too shy just to go and have a nose! It was all very reasonably priced too - in the words of Arnie, I will be back! Xx

I got my coconut essence on eBay lol
that's a surprise to you Charley ;) haha me and eBay ;)
I actually don't think the postage was that bad

Friday 26th October - WEIGH DAY - :scale:

4LBS OFF!!! :banana dancer:

I am really really happy! I thought it was going to be a decent figure, was secretly hoping for 4lb but I never thought I would get it. I just need to keep it off this coming week. It should be ok, although tomorrow is going to be pretty impossible to stick to plan as I am off to the Five Lakes Spa in Colchester where we will be having lunch, dinner and breakfast. I think I will try and keep lunch light if I have a big breakfast at home tomorrow before I go, then eat what I want for dinner in the evening and drink what I want and then on Sunday I will have something light there for breakfast and head off straight away and then had a big ole whopper of a fry up at home CharleyBarley Styley!

I may even take my work out gear to the Spa - I may even use it!

So food today:

B - 2 fried eggs on toast (HEB) (1) for Laughing Cow Light Triangle

L - Chicken Salad and Roast Chicken Mugshot (1) for Salad Cream

D - NANDOS!!! Half a chicken (skin on for a treat), Spicy Rice (2.5) and Halloumi (HEA tweak) with tomato and onion salad (the rest of my days allowance on sauces!)

Syns - call it 15

Water - 2 litres

Cracking loss Charley and only 1lb to go into the 16's hunny woo hoo

Well done to you

I'm now salivating at the Nandos

Whoop, well done xxxx have a lovely spa visit :)

Back