Clothes

snowbryneich

Gold Member
Hello all - just thought I'd ask in here as likely to encounter more people who this applies to.

What does everyone do about clothes. I have lost 3 stone with slimming world so far and I am still wearing the same clothes as when I started (though some of them are a bit roomier I suppose). These range between 28-32 depending on how generous they are - I think anything in a 28 has stretched since bought when I was smaller.

I had a couple of things in my wardrobe (I am quite bad for buying online and being too lazy to send back stuff that doesn't fit) that I couldn't get into that I now can which is cheering but I don't think I've shifted size yet.

When I lost my first stone and a half I bought myself a couple of new tops just as I was feeling quite positive but then they came and then I was upset I was still in the same size. I know if you are smaller then a stone is normally about a dress size but that clearly isn't the case for people with a lot to lose. I then decided I wasn't going to buy anything new until I absolutely had to because things were falling off me.

Last week I did - I have had to buy a load of new knickers - for which had to go down to a size 24 (woo) and now I am thinking about when things do get to big. What do people do - just buy a couple of things in the next size down and make them last until you need the next size down again. Get things altered? Learn to sew and alter them yourself. Just wear baggy stuff?

Also while we are discussing clothing - does anyone have any online plus size sites they'd like to recommend. i pretty much live in simply be stuff as they have a clearance site and I feel priced out by Evans and don't like a lot of their stuff. I love Joe Browns when I can get it a decent price and love holyclothing . com for more um new age type stuff.

I just buy a couple of smaller tops at a time. I find it usually takes a couple of stone for me to drop a size. I also have a couple of skirts with safety pins in the waist band because the waist is to big but the hips are a fit lol. In winter I tend to layer up so that the larger size fits for longer even though I am smaller now.

I use Ulla Popken quite a lot. It can be a bit pricey but I usually trawl the sale section and wait for them to send discount codes as they charge postage.

I carry on wearing stuff for as long as it looks okay.

I mainly don't spend enough on things to worry about getting them altered but have the odd special outfit I'll consider it for. No way I'd try it myself though, can only just about fix a hem!

When clothes are too big they can be really unflattering too. It's a nice feeling when you can get in a smaller size and losses are always more obvious when you wear your new smaller stuff. Tends to be when other people notice and it's a lovely boost when they do :)

It's 2 stone before I can drop too I've refused to buy over a certain size so probably drop sizes as my current clothes get more comfortable if that makes sense

Dress agencies might be good if you've got quality stuff??

Hi. I found the same issue with clothes. Usually 2 stone = drop in dress size.
i now just buy leggings/skinny jeans and a few cheap tops from Asda/Tesco/Primark to see me through until I get to the weight I want to be. Good luck x

Buying clothes on ebay can be good, because you can find cheap stuff, and it doesn't matter if it is used and a bit worn, because hopefully you're just passing through the sizes!!

Tops with tie backs can be good so you can adjust the ties and keep some shape. In the past when I've lost weight I've also had to put some of my clothes on a really hot wash to shrink them a bit!!!

I was wondering the exact same!!
recommendations for websites would be new look inspire and asos..they can be but pricey but there's always sales!! it's where I get all my clothes from!

Thank you for all the replies. I totally thought I had responded here. My sister is always singing the praises of asos but I don't think they go up to what I used to be. I have decided I am going to struggle on until I hit a 22. I don't ever remember buying anything under a size 24 - not even when i was a teenager so when I can fit in a 22 that will be the smallest I've been in years and can buy a few new bits - especially as I will have more options then. Then I will hang onto the 22 bits until I can get into an 18 - good to have goals.

I think I've been wearing stretched clothes too! I tend to shop online at asos and Simplybe. When I lost lots of weight before, I used to buy cheap bundles of clothes on eBay and then sell on what didn't fit. I also made the most of offers of clothes from other people! At the moment, until I lose enough weight to be out of the 20s (clothes size), I'm treating myself in other ways - hair cut, new make up, shoes etc

If you get down to 22/24 you can start buying in asad, sainsburys etc - they have cheap stuff nut loads of really good options, especially at George (asda) when they have a sale on...

If you get down to 22/24 you can start buying in asad, sainsburys etc - they have cheap stuff nut loads of really good options, especially at George (asda) when they have a sale on...

I was thinking about that the other day. One day soon I might be able to start buying clothes at Asda/Tesco/Sainsburys. I usually avoid the clothing section there as there's never anything big enough.

I'm exactly the same, no pint in looking at the mo cos I'm just above their size ranges, but I'm really looking forward to having a good old mooch around (also cos they're reasonably priced!,) when I go in for my shopping

George occasionally go RIGHT down price wise. Haven't been a 24 around a sale time as yet (only just got there bottom wise) but I've seen tops for literally all of £1.50 so keep checking :) Sainsburys are pretty good towards the end of their sale too with reductions (but things do sell quick in ours so get there quick!) Not really too sure with Tesco as the one that sells their "plus size" (up to 28 I believe) range here is a good 4 miles away so we don't really get up there.

Online in George there are some tops up to a 32. Only a small range though but it's new so hopefully they'll keep adding them. Plus Size | Women | George at ASDA Nothing's more expensive than £12 too :)

I've bought a few trousers in smaller sizes, and donated all (but one) of my 30 and 32's to the charity shops. I haven't bought smaller tops as yet as with the boobs I'm still fitting into what I originally had (all be it with extra room) so it makes it cheaper tbh. Having said that, I do have a small wardrobe full of sizes 'coming down' in tops/jumpers that I've been buying for the last 4 or so years to slim down into from Charity shops and supermarket sales. Was just waiting for my dieting lightbulb moment I guess!

I did "get in" two size 24's this last week (one was a Christmas sweatshirt and the other a knitted acrylic top so there was a small amount of stretch on them too). I say "get in" rather than them fitting because it's not a perfect size as yet and they do have a small amount of stretch in them - and it's skintight across the lumps and bumps - but I'm still SO happy because I wouln't have even been able to get them down over my shoulders when I started so on the right way.

I think it depends on how we're all "built" so there's no set level for weightloss/clothing size change :) Wish there was though, it'd be so much easier ;)

Back