Considering SW - how do you find it?

Caz

Repeat Offender
I'm considering giving SW a try, I've never tried to do a diet like SW or WW but it might be what I'm looking for, calorie counting hasn't been working for me lately. So, a few questions if you don't mind.

How do you find SW? Do you enjoy it? How much do people generally lose? And finally, do you have to join online or a group or can you find the info to follow it from home? The whole syns, red and green, hex a and b all confuse me so much!!

Hi!

I really enjoy it. I have done it a few times (my fault that I stopped!), and always lose really well. Last week was my first week and I lost 7.5lb. Generally they say losses are 1-2lb a week depending obviously on how big you are etc. (and depends on how much you stick to it!)

There is so much you can eat, so many recipes to try and you are never hungry. It doesn't feel like a diet to be honest, it just feels like a complete lifestyle change. I don't feel deprived at all, actually.

I think if you've never done it before you should go to group. Even if you don't stay there forever, I think going there for a couple of months to get all the info down and everything would be best. I do it at home online, but that's really because I know the plan inside out so I feel confident enough to!

If you want to know what the plan entails, have a look at the stickies at the top - there is one that completely explains the plan. Well worth a read.

Deciding to do SW was the best decision I ever made. Lots of people around here have had some inspiring losses.

:) xx

I can't really do a group. I'm a trainee teacher and my schedule is all over the place at the moment so I never know when I can go and when I can't but also, the one in the village there's one of the teacher's at my placement school who goes there and so I don't really feel comfortable going. For one, I'd rather go somewhere where I don't know people and isn't in a very gossipy village like this but also, I feel like I'm kind of invading her territory, if that makes sense. That's her place to go and talk about her struggles as well as her ups and I wouldn't want her to feel like she couldn't because I was there. And besides all of that, I can't really afford it at the moment.

I absolutely LOVE SW! I've tried calorie counting before, and plain old exercise and eating chicken & rice every day but I have never stuck to it for more than a week or 2. SW has just been brilliant. I feel like I can eat this way forever and never feel deprived!

My suggestion would be go to group at least once. That way, you can have up to date booklets, and have the plan explained to you. I've not tried red/green days yet. I follow the extra easy plan, and it is so simple and easy to stick to. If you don't decide to go to a group, there is a wealth of information here, so just ask away and I'm sure someone will be able to help you!

I'd say join and at least go to that one session. The C will explain everything and we can fill in any blanks. You'll also get the book and everything to refer to.
The best thing for me is the weigh ins though. If I have a bad week, going to a group and admitting that is the best way for me to get back on it. Plus I'm really competitive, so I proper go for slimmer of the week every week :D
1-2 is common, I'm at 15 and a half stone at the mo and pushing 3-4 pounds a week if I stick to it 100%
Also the fact you're never hungry and if you plan ahead you there's nothing you can't have at least a little of.
I'd recommend SW a million percent. Once you get more used to it it's so easy too

Thanks guys, I've decided to give SW a try but I'm not going to do a group. I can't afford to pay £14.95 just to go along and have everything explained to me. I'm a trainee teacher on a very tight budget as I only get £6000 in student loan a year! I'm going to use the 7 day menu on the SW website for this first week and see how I go with that and during that time, try and get my head around it all.

caroline g said:
Thanks guys, I've decided to give SW a try but I'm not going to do a group. I can't afford to pay £14.95 just to go along and have everything explained to me. I'm a trainee teacher on a very tight budget as I only get £6000 in student loan a year! I'm going to use the 7 day menu on the SW website for this first week and see how I go with that and during that time, try and get my head around it all.

You also get the books and access to the website aswell. There are normally joining offers on too, so you could potentially get your books for £9.95 x

I'd say join and at least go to that one session. The C will explain everything and we can fill in any blanks. You'll also get the book and everything to refer to.
The best thing for me is the weigh ins though. If I have a bad week, going to a group and admitting that is the best way for me to get back on it. Plus I'm really competitive, so I proper go for slimmer of the week every week :D
1-2 is common, I'm at 15 and a half stone at the mo and pushing 3-4 pounds a week if I stick to it 100%
Also the fact you're never hungry and if you plan ahead you there's nothing you can't have at least a little of.
I'd recommend SW a million percent. Once you get more used to it it's so easy too

It is easy isn't it? I need to go to class because then I stick to it - there's no way I would if I did it at home, plus classes do come up with some great tips for recipes etc.

Hats off to anyone that can go it alone though x

I'm only on day 2 so I cant give much advice apart from being able to eat normal every day food without weighing or counting and NEVER being hungry - it is the best "diet" in the world!!

I'm only on day 2 so I cant give much advice apart from being able to eat normal every day food without weighing or counting and NEVER being hungry - it is the best "diet" in the world!!

Agreed!!!!And when I think of all those wasted years measuring dashes of milk for my coffee lol. Its not a diet, its a lifestyle choice and even though I do stray sometimes, I now struggle not to follow the plan!

I agree with others that you should go to at least one class. To be honest doing the 7 day menu on the website will cost you more than the joining fee because it is designed to showcase how much you can eat. People that do them usually comment on how expensive they areas they don't take advantage of planned meals, special offers, seasonal food or using leftovers from one dish to make another. I can understand that money is tight but as the adverts say 'you're worth it'. And the reality is that it will be nigh on impossible to succeed on the plan without at least the basic information.

I've decided not to do the 7 day menu after looking through it properly but it's helped me get an idea for meals. There are plenty of people on here who do it without a class or the online website so I'm sure that I can do it too. I'm starting from today, starting to get my head around it with the help of a few people on here. For me a class just isn't really an option weekly and if I did a class even just once, it wouldn't be until next week. A class would give me the books but I wouldn't get full access to the website just for that fee would I?

I have been following SW since march and find it so simple to follow I have lost 32lbs so far average 2lbs a week. I'm a doctor working shifts in hospital so commuting to a class is difficult I joined on line and all the plan info is available to me on line I did buy the books to have in my bag at refer to if I had thought about it it would have been cheaper to go for 1 class join get books get 4 weeks online access and then switch after.
Is £15 really that unaffordable its less than 2 cinema tickets! This site is a great help but I would miss the facility to check syns etc online. Good luck with your journey.

I've decided not to do the 7 day menu after looking through it properly but it's helped me get an idea for meals. There are plenty of people on here who do it without a class or the online website so I'm sure that I can do it too. I'm starting from today, starting to get my head around it with the help of a few people on here. For me a class just isn't really an option weekly and if I did a class even just once, it wouldn't be until next week. A class would give me the books but I wouldn't get full access to the website just for that fee would I?

Yes there are lots of people who do it on their own without going to class and if you are motivated it can work well, but they usually have the basic information about the plans to start with eg knowing what things are healthy extras and how much you can have. If you go to even one class you'll get the most up-to-date books, the consultant talk which will help explain it all, and access to the SW members site for around 4 weeks. That would give you time to get the full healthy extra lists, look up syn values for all your favourite foods, and read some of the online resources and articles.

Good luck with what ever you choose to do though :)

Thank you for all the replies. Though I've taken onboard your advice, I've decided not to go to a meeting and to brave it myself. I've managed to get my head around it a lot more now and to be honest, there's nothing that the consultant will tell me that the internet or minimins won't, just need to take some time to look into it all.

I managed it for two weeks on my own with no real problems Caroline. I'm pretty sure you can get the basic book off eBay if you need to. Xx

Back