Crafty Crafters!

OMG- TINY HAT!!

Aw, as if any human is ever that small.

piX128 said:
I knit for a charity and make stuff for micro preemies . This little dress is 6 inches long. I love needle craft too but I cant sew clothes and I can't master crochet either!!

some great talents on this thread xx

You must be so proud! Awesome way to use your talents :) I know when my son was born 2 month early (3lb 11oz) in the little knitted hats were a god send when he was in scbu X X

Am desparate to learn how to knit cable stitch. Spent hours last night following tutorials from the web. There is summat I'm just not getting. Cable stitch appeared in my work (was so proud !) but was on the wrong side of the knit ??? I wonder if I am not putting stitches on to cable needle correctly.

Its one of those things that when I do get someone to show me it will be an " ooooh thats why !" moment.

I crochet preemie clothes too, every time I do a hat I have to measure it and check against the charts to make sure I'm NOT just making a boiled-egg cosy!!!
Jez: oh wow! thankyou! I'm pootling off into town sometime this week, I'll look for a pair to use as a base lol ;)

for a cable that's pointing diagonally to the left, slip the first half of the stitches onto the work and hold them in front of the work. for the cable that's pointing to the right, hold the stitches behind. ONLY to a stitch movement on a knit row for it to stand out on the front. hope this helps.
126426_20Jan12_DSCF1238.jpg

Flibsey said:
I crochet preemie clothes too, every time I do a hat I have to measure it and check against the charts to make sure I'm NOT just making a boiled-egg cosy!!!
Jez: oh wow! thankyou! I'm pootling off into town sometime this week, I'll look for a pair to use as a base lol ;)

Again very worthwhile use of your talents! :) I never knew there was a size chart... My little un had a scarily big head for his body, big hands & feet too, looked like a little purple toad :) I'm allowed to say that now he's 8 and nearly as big as me lol x

lol, yeah. there's charts all over the net for everything from 5lbs down. below 1lb it's mainly burial clothing though an I can't bring myself to make those just yet because it's just too sad. I tried making a burial dress to donate and I cried so much when it was finished that it became a dress for one of sophie's teddies instead. still tugs my heart when I see it though.

Am desparate to learn how to knit cable stitch. Spent hours last night following tutorials from the web. There is summat I'm just not getting. Cable stitch appeared in my work (was so proud !) but was on the wrong side of the knit ??? I wonder if I am not putting stitches on to cable needle correctly.

Its one of those things that when I do get someone to show me it will be an " ooooh thats why !" moment.

Coz it's magic!! It's physically impossible!

Flibs- I can do most colours just no buckles! Velcro or slip ons. PM me when you get them (and allow me a few weeks coz i've got a backlog) x

You must be so proud! Awesome way to use your talents :) I know when my son was born 2 month early (3lb 11oz) in the little knitted hats were a god send when he was in scbu X X

it's a pleasure to make things for the tinies, and for the ones who dont make it too...all of them deserve dignity and to be cosy. Personal reasons why its important to me, but it also stops me snacking while Im sat watching tv. xx

I make them that tiny too, but unfortunately they go to the little ones who are too small to stay. I do these little angels too ...keeps my hands busy and not stuffing my face !! These arent quite finished - they dont really have pins for faces :)

Attachments

• angels.jpg
    angels.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 65
piX128 said:
it's a pleasure to make things for the tinies, and for the ones who dont make it too...all of them deserve dignity and to be cosy. Personal reasons why its important to me, but it also stops me snacking while Im sat watching tv. xx

Couldn't agree more X

The only thing I do is cross stitch, and not done any of that properly for years. I did, however, drag my cross stitch frame, threads and chart out yesterday with the intention of doing some each evening during the week. Evening 1 is an epic fail as I'm sat here in bed with the tv on, my nose in my laptop and the cross stitch nowhere in sight!

Must try harder tomorrow evening! Also, want to be good this week and get my housework done during the weekday evenings, leaving me all weekend to try and get some cross stitch done. This coming weekend will be nothing but tv on in the background, cross stitch and wine! :D That's the plan anyway!

I make them that tiny too, but unfortunately they go to the little ones who are too small to stay. I do these little angels too ...keeps my hands busy and not stuffing my face !! These arent quite finished - they dont really have pins for faces :)

Pix, they're lovely.
I also do incubator blankies, 1ft sq NICU safe/sensitive skin yarns. some parents of deceased babies keep them in memory boxes. I love that idea. some bury them with their babies, I also love that idea too.

Pix, they're lovely.
I also do incubator blankies, 1ft sq NICU safe/sensitive skin yarns. some parents of deceased babies keep them in memory boxes. I love that idea. some bury them with their babies, I also love that idea too.

thanks, most of my stuff will be for babies born sleeping. I know what you mean about it feeling sad when you make them but then I try and balance that with the knowledge of the comfort they give too. I do tiny blankets and teddies too, like the angels they come in pairs..one for baby and one for mum xx

I feel like a rubbish crafter after reading this thread. I occasionally make jewellery!

don't feel rubbish.

I am proud today because I've had to remove some of the stuffing from my home-made dress form, Doris. she's a replica of my body for me to fit patterns to. so this means, I've started to obviously lose weight lol.

IMG_5423.jpg

she's made from a bin bag, some hazard tape (cheap lol), loads of newspaper and a cheap t shirt.

aww how cute is Doris !

I'd love to try jewelery making penguin,, Im just not sure I could do anything that detailed ! x

Wow I never thought of making a dress form! Luckily my mum bought me a posh adjustable one for Christmas, but it's not exactly right for my proportions. Thats very cool and clever :)

it's surprisingly easy to modify a pre-made form too, all you need is cotton wool or an old duvet or pillow, a cheap stretchy t shirt in a size or so smaller than you are, string or cheap yarn and a (old? cheap?) bra that you know fits.
adjust the form to near your proportions, then put the bra on it. fill the cups until they match your boosies. you may need to pin the straps to the form.
now for the hips and belly, cut the shirt into a vest shape and set aside.
take the wadding and wrap on the hips and belly until it looks kind of like your belly and hips, and matches your measurements.
if you're using wadding from a pillow, old duvet or cotton wool it should stick to itself and your form long enough for you to wrap string around it to hold it in place.
top with your cut up tshirt and baddaboom.

this is how my gran did it lol!!

I never thought of making my own form until i saw a paper tape one online.

Back