Curfew for cats ??

fillymum

synful soul
It was on the news this morning that a T.V. wildlife presenter has proposed a curfew for cats from dawn until dusk *to protect* wild life and in particular birds.

Pretty barmy I would have thought. I know my three are just not impressed.

Yes they are hunters, cats are hunters. It is the nature of the beast.

Cats are nocturnal but they are not hunting birds at night. Birds roost high up where cats or any other predator cannot get them.

Most cats are out hunting rats and mice and long may they do so. If not w,e would soon be overrun with rodents

I wonder how well it has worked in the areas of Australia where they have tried it.

Well I think that's pretty bonkers too, Sue!! These people are trying to alter nature - cats are natural hunters, and that's just the way it is. Very true that we would soon be overrun with rodents if it wasn't for cats. Very strange, let nature be.

Wouldnt they be better off protecting the wildlife from man , who destroy their natural habitats ? Just a thought !!

Oh what an excellent answer and so definitley seeing the bigger picture !!!

my cat stays in at night, he doesnt mind, thats what he is used to. in fact he cant wait to go upstairs and go to bed most nights!

my cat stays in at night, he doesnt mind, thats what he is used to. in fact he cant wait to go upstairs and go to bed most nights!

Obviously a very spoilt moggie and why not, they are such lovely creatures, and like people they are all such different characters.

Our 3 are out all night and snooze in their basket all day...................however they can come and go as they please.

I just have a mental image of cat owners running up the street shouting "here kitty kitty, it's past your curfew, you'll get no supper if you don't come in right now". How can you curfew cats, they are not flipping kids.

Last edited:
I just have a mental image of cat owners running up the street shouting "here kitty kitty, it's past your curfew, you'll get no supper if you don't come in right now". How can you curfew cats, they are not flipping kids.

actually you can. mine knows that he gets some more food at 10, so come 9:30ish he is milling around waiting to be let in. I didnt get a cat for him to spend all night outside in what ever weather, getting miserable and soaked. Also where we live there are lots of foxes and badgers, my cat is a fighter and i wouldnt want him squaring up to one, as i know he would come off worse!

actually you can. mine knows that he gets some more food at 10, so come 9:30ish he is milling around waiting to be let in. I didnt get a cat for him to spend all night outside in what ever weather, getting miserable and soaked. Also where we live there are lots of foxes and badgers, my cat is a fighter and i wouldnt want him squaring up to one, as i know he would come off worse!

Yeah I guess, like my rats know at 6 thats its time to come out the cage. I still find my mental image funny though xD

My two have free reign to roam as they please, the cat flaps always open. They don't ever bring me birds, they do quite often dump a present of a mouse on the front door mat for me! I did once have to rescue a squirrel from the cats clutches, didn't fancy that being bought in!

Theyd drive me potty if I kept them in!

I hope said wildlife presenter is vegetarian, would be very hypocritical otherwise!

As I said they are all different just like people and if yours is a fighter and could be in danger at night you are doing exactly the right thing for your cat.

I assure you mine do not mill around in all weathers waiting to come in they can come and go as they want and like all cats are not stupid, if the weather looks iffy they can be found snug and cosy in their basket.

What do they get if they're out after curfew? A Lag tag????

LOL !!! Shirleen we can always rely on you for a bit of light hearted humour............... never change.

A Lag Tag no I think A Cat Trap lol !!!!

My two have free reign to roam as they please, the cat flaps always open. They don't ever bring me birds, they do quite often dump a present of a mouse on the front door mat for me! I did once have to rescue a squirrel from the cats clutches, didn't fancy that being bought in!

Theyd drive me potty if I kept them in!

I hope said wildlife presenter is vegetarian, would be very hypocritical otherwise!

Hear, hear, especially seeing how so many *meat* animals are kep, transportedt and slaughtered.

Mine too would drive us potty if they could not go out whenever they want...........cats are nocturnal it is only us that have changed their life style to suit our body clock and that is fine, nothing wrong with it at all..

I actually dont think this would be enforceable - apart from the obvious reasons. Cats are not legally the "property" of their owners. By law, cats are wild animals and cannot be "owned" by anyone. You can support them, provide them with food and shelter, but you cannot claim legal ownership of them, unlike dogs. If your cat decides it doesnt like the food you put down and prefers the stuff Mrs Jones three doors down is feeding her cat and it wants to go and live with her, it can and it will and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Therefore, how on earth could they possibly enforce a cat curfew? If you tried to take the "owner" to court for breaching it, it would be laughed out of court because it's "owner" doesn't exist.

Mind you, with all the ridiculous rules and laws they keep making up to suit themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if they invented one for this purpose - but as things stand now - it couldnt be done.

I actually dont think this would be enforceable - apart from the obvious reasons. Cats are not legally the "property" of their owners. By law, cats are wild animals and cannot be "owned" by anyone. You can support them, provide them with food and shelter, but you cannot claim legal ownership of them, unlike dogs. If your cat decides it doesnt like the food you put down and prefers the stuff Mrs Jones three doors down is feeding her cat and it wants to go and live with her, it can and it will and there is NOTHING you can do about it.

Therefore, how on earth could they possibly enforce a cat curfew? If you tried to take the "owner" to court for breaching it, it would be laughed out of court because it's "owner" doesn't exist.

Mind you, with all the ridiculous rules and laws they keep making up to suit themselves, I wouldn't be surprised if they invented one for this purpose - but as things stand now - it couldnt be done.

Thanks for that MLM..............that is that sorted and I don't know what the rest of you think but I think MLM as prime minister would be brilliant !!!!

As I said they are all different just like people and if yours is a fighter and could be in danger at night you are doing exactly the right thing for your cat.

I assure you mine do not mill around in all weathers waiting to come in they can come and go as they want and like all cats are not stupid, if the weather looks iffy they can be found snug and cosy in their basket.

i wasnt trying to imply that, its just that mine doesnt have a cat flap, so once he's out, he's out. and i can just see him sat on the back door step for 6 hours waiting to be let in. he is a bit dense and wouldnt think to shelter. he was curled up asleep on the lawn in the rain the other day. i had to go out and rescue him!

i wasnt trying to imply that, its just that mine doesnt have a cat flap, so once he's out, he's out. and i can just see him sat on the back door step for 6 hours waiting to be let in. he is a bit dense and wouldnt think to shelter. he was curled up asleep on the lawn in the rain the other day. i had to go out and rescue him!

Ahhhh poor boy !!!! He is so lucky to have such a caring and loving owner.

This is what really, really annoys me about cats. Cat owners refuse to be responsible for their actions. I ahve a dog. I am forced to be responsible for his actions! If my dog poos in your garden, then I am legally responsible and there will be sanctions. If a cat poos in my garden, as at least 3 do, constantly, then the owners are not responsible. There is nothing I can do, despite the fact that it is dangerous for my children. If my dog barks and disturbs others, then I can be held to account. My next door neighbour's cat wakes me at 1st light, every morning, screeching on the doorstep to be let in. At the moment that is before 5. Fair? If i let my dog out to quiten the cat, I am responsible, yet that cat can kill all manner of small animals and birds and, bless him, he can't help it. Don't get me wrong I love cats. I ahd one myself for a long while, but I do feel owners must be responsible if their behaviour is anti-social or disturbing to others. Just as any other animal owner would be.

Back