Doctor says Xenical is going to be withdrawn ??

LouLouD123

My friend went to her GP today here in Kent and asked for Xenical (based on our conversation) and he outright refused to prescribe it for her. His reasons were that it was going to be withdrawn from the market due to health concerns/side effects. I have rung my GP but she wont be able to return my call about this until Wed. Wondering whether to carry on taking it? Plus did speak to my chemist and he said that he had not heard anything about it being withdrawn? Anybody have any ideas?

I suspect your friend's GP is either mistaken or simply trying to save himself some money! I can't see anything on-line to suggest the drug is going to be withdrawn in the UK, although I think it was probably withdrawn in the US a while back.

Sorry, pressed Send by mistake, lol. I was going to go on to say that I've been taking it for 18 months so far, so I'm in trouble if there are any dangers. ;) xx

The stop in the market was to review some literature that said orlistat increased the incidences of liver failure or disease for people that took it it increased the risk by 0.5% or something.

But when compared to the risk of liver disease cause by obesity which was 72% or something they realised it was ridiculous! And that's when it came back on the market'

Hope that helps! But I've heard nothing about it going out again! X

I'm back at GPs for a weigh in tomorrow morning and will ask which specific research she is referring to :)

It may be different but thts what I read around the time of the shortage. X

Saw my GP this morning, she rang the other GP whilst I was there. It turns out that he was referring to last year's withdrawal and not any new research. It just sounds like he's not a fan of the drug and was just fobbing my friend off. In fact, he said that if she wanted to come back and see him he would prescribe it for her!
Thanks for your stats Mizkirsty, puts it all into perspective! I'm certainly going to carry on as it's giving me the extra bit of willpower so far that I was lacking.

Saw my GP this morning, she rang the other GP whilst I was there. It turns out that he was referring to last year's withdrawal and not any new research. It just sounds like he's not a fan of the drug and was just fobbing my friend off. In fact, he said that if she wanted to come back and see him he would prescribe it for her!
Thanks for your stats Mizkirsty, puts it all into perspective! I'm certainly going to carry on as it's giving me the extra bit of willpower so far that I was lacking.

Yeah it was the only research id read!

That's do unfair I had a go fob me of initially but then I went back and saw someone else! X

Back