Favourite 'classic'

Jane Eyre is my all time favourite, I have re-read it many times over the years. It appeals on so many levels including identification with Jane herself and Charlote Bronte's vivid depiction of the elements, and of course the brooding Mr Rochester!

Loving this thread.

My favourite classics are:

Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice
Turgenov - Fathers and Sons (Although it depends on the translation, have read 2 different ones, and one of them was far better than the other)
Arthur Ransome - Swallows and Amazons (I love lots of the childrens Classics but these ones have stuck with me.)
Rudyard Kipling - Just So Stories
Frances Hodgeson Burnett - A Little Princess, The Secret Garden
William Makepeace Thackeray - Vanity Fair
Charles Dickens - Great Expectations (The only Dickens novel I've really got on with, although I love his short stories).
Jules Verne - 20000 Leagues Under the Sea, & Journey to the Centre of The Earth (Both brilliant and oft forgotten classics)
Bram Stoker - Dracula
Johann Wyss - The Swiss Family Robinson
H. Rider Haggard - King Soloman's Mines
D. H. Lawrence - The Rainbow

Ok will stop now. LOL.

For starters ....

"Of Mice and Men" - John Steinbeck
"Wuthering Heights" - Emily Brontë
"Great Expectations" - Charles Dickens
"The Death of Ivan Ilyich" - Leo Tolstoy

"Pride and Prejudice" - Jane Austen
"Animal Farm" - George Orwell
"Catch 22" - Joseph Heller

Many others I enjoyed too - just wish I had time to re-read more of them !! :D

Love Austen....big big fan and Pride and Prejudice is my fave. I am definitely a bit of a feminist at heart and love Elizabeth Bennett. Also love her other books! Jane Eyre is another favourite!x

of mice and men is a great story also great expectations and homers odyssey and romeo and juilet :) its not a classic but i love silence of the lambs aswell hehe

LindseyandMatthew said:
I love Charles Dickens 'Great Expectations' and Jane Austen's 'Pride and Prejudice'

Snap, my 2 favourites too!!!

I love anything by Jane Austen P&P being my fave but I have just read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte as it was set by my local book group and I really enjoyed that too and as I had never read it before was suprised at how it is nothing like I imagined it to be

My favourite classic and novel of all time is The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. I've only read it once, about two years ago, but I'm not the type to reread books.

I've been meaning to read The Three Musketeers ever since mind you. I got an E-Reader since and have read a few classics on that (all free you see :)) but I think I might have to invest in a paper copy of The Three Musketeers. There's nothing like the feeling on conquering a chunky book.

Gosh, first day of my annual leave - plans ( mostly related to tedious housework) abandoned since I found book club thread ... Defo going to bung washer on after this post....

Lost Illusions - Balzac
Little Dorrit - Dickens
The Dream / King Lear - Shakespeare
Sense and Sensibility - Austen
Little Women - LMA
Peter Pan - Barrie
Swallows and Amazons all (Missy Lee my fave) - Arthur Ransome
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - Ian Fleming

Enough ... forwards and onwards to the housework (sigh).
... really feel like reading now ... No zinz clean the house la la la.

mmm I Love King Lear, going to see Derek Jacobi in it tomorrow night here in Belfast. I cannot wait! Othello in a couple of weeks too. Fantastic! Isn't it amazing how we still flock to these plays 400 odd years after they were first performed?

Mrbob -'The Count of Monte Cristo' is an AMAZING read isn't it? I read it when I was younger -it took me months to wade through it but it was worth it.

of mice and men is a great story also great expectations and homers odyssey and romeo and juilet :) its not a classic but i love silence of the lambs aswell hehe

I'd say 'Silence of the Lambs' is a modern classic wouldn't you? A lot of what's typically called 'classic' was the trash of its day! lol Not that 'Lambs' is trash - you know what I mean! lol

BlackRose said:
mmm I Love King Lear, going to see Derek Jacobi in it tomorrow night here in Belfast. I cannot wait! Othello in a couple of weeks too. Fantastic! Isn't it amazing how we still flock to these plays 400 odd years after they were first performed?

Lucky lucky you. Think we still flock to see Shakespeare because love, murder, jealousy and intrigue amongst other things never go out of fashion. In fact he still manages to capture the human condition though I hope the Royal Court is a tad less bloodthirsty, politicians seem much the same. Who played Cordelia?

Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Rebecca, hunchback of notre dame...i looooove gothic fiction haha

Back