Fuming - aunty bessies yorkshire puds

jamhulio

Hi, just thought I'd let everyone know the importance of double checking nutritional values. Last week I bought a box of Aunt Bessies Original Yorkshire Pudding Batters because the box said 9.8 calories and 0.2gms sat fat, this worked out at 0.5 point for 2 so I have been eating them all week (6 at a time) and bought another box. Today I checked the new boxesand imagine my distress when although the boxes are identical and even have the same barcode the calories were now 59 per pudding. Boxes are identical apart from the difference in the calories. Therefore, when I've had 6 puds thinking I was only having 1.5 pts in fact I've probably been having 6 points!! and its my first weigh in tomorrow. I have checked their website and it looks like indeed they are 59calories each .... I am not a happy bunny and have emailed a complaint to them

then where did u get the 9.8 cal from? i dont understand

Let me know what they say

i have had boxes that said 9.8 cals aswell, but it did say NEW RECIPE on the front, maybe the second lot you bought were from old stock ?

Do you have the old box so you could see if it said new recipe on the front ?

Sounds like there was maybe a batch that went out with printing error on packet you should send off the packet to show them and ask for a refund enough to cover your weight watchers class cost it's there mistake and they should rectify it by compensating you. Hope it hasn't done to much damage at your weigh in

Maybe we will be in luck and the ones with 9.8 cals are right and they went out with the old cals printed on them ;)

Sounds like there was maybe a batch that went out with printing error on packet you should send off the packet to show them and ask for a refund enough to cover your weight watchers class cost it's there mistake and they should rectify it by compensating you. Hope it hasn't done to much damage at your weigh in

Nice idea but they havent actually done anything wrong. Unfortunately its a sore lesson but a valuable one. For reasons best known to themselves manufacturers change the nutritional values often you really do need to keep checking. Classic example was Frazzles,everyone on here ate them by the van load cos they were 1 point per pack then someone noticed the cals had gone up slightly - but slight enough to make them 1.5 points not 1 point. Ive noticed with a lot of things that the cals can change after a while.

The Yorkshire Puds werent saying they were 0.5 per pudding, it was just assumed they still are. Aunty Bessies and other companies are under no obligation to say the cals have gone up, the responsibility is totally ours.

I have to say I check my favourites every few months - just incase...

Hi, they both say new recipe on the front of the box, me and by bf have studied both boxes and identical, they have the same barcode and same use by date l

I disagree Starlight while they are doing nothing wrong and techincally its down to us to check, if the product has the same barcode and same use by date they came from the same batch and its far more likely that its been a techicnal error in the packaging department
we all know that due to changes in recipes etc calorie values can and do change but not when the product has been mixed in the same vat on the same day

from the tesco site, for the aunty bessies yorkshires 12 pack batters.. which i think your on about it states;

Guideline Daily Amounts...Per pudding. Based on GDA for women. CALORIES 47 2.4%, SUGAR 0.3g 0.3%, FAT 1.4g 2.0%, SATURATES 0.2g 1.0%, SALT 0.3g 5.0%.

dont know if that helps but definitely wait and see what they say!

But what have they done wrong exactly?? If something has changed theyre doing what theyre required and are changing the values on the pack. The bar code has nothing to do with nutritional values, its about pricing and stock so if pricing hasnt changed the bar code wont change. Its been the same with other items, I remember with the frazzles we all went over packets with a fine tooth comb, nothing about the packaging had changed, only the cals. And lets face it, there isnt a food company in the world thats going to boast about extra cals in a product. If it was a WW item that said X points per pudding then thats a whole other thing but its not being advertised as X cals so I really cant see what theyre doing wrong :confused:

I can totally sympathise as Ive been caught out on several occasions by the very same thing and its never ever ever been a printing or packing error. its a common complaint on SW too, items change and noone realises, but its probably worse when it happens there as something thats always been free suddenly with no announcement changes slightly and bingo - it has Syns :(

Theres a lot to be said for sticking with WW items.

now you've lost me I didn't say they were doing anything wrong, where did I say that ?
all I said was it sounds like an error was made during printing the packaging, going from 9.8 to 59 is quite a big difference and I've never heard of a yorkshire pud coming in at under 10 calories, the 9.8 seems very low in the first place.
Where did I say the barcode had anything to do with nutritonal values ?it is about pricing and stock with stock being the operative word.

Last edited:
Hopefully they will give you a refund Jam - there must have been a printing error on the box as there is no way that a yorkie pud would come in at under 10 cals as Babs has already pointed out (unless it was made of celery!)

Good job you checked again on the second box! I'm sure you'll have caught the mistake in time, at least you've done something about it straight away. Hope the weigh in goes ok today - try not to let it get you down :)

I agree 9.8cals MUST have been a printing error, there is no way on earth that a Yorky Pud would be less than 10cals. Goodluck with your complaint AND of course your weigh in!!!! Hope this mixup isn't too detrimental to your weightloss Hun!!
xxx

Hi Ladies, thanks for your replies Question for Starlight, if I buy two packets of crisps (or anything) at the same time from the same shop do i need to check the nutritional info on both packs or do I presume they are both the same. Both packs bought from same shop, same freezer, I think its quite normal to presume they both have the same nutritional values on them. I'm off to check my email for a reply and I'll let you all know x

Last edited:
I agree 9.8cals MUST have been a printing error, there is no way on earth that a Yorky Pud would be less than 10cals. Goodluck with your complaint AND of course your weigh in!!!! Hope this mixup isn't too detrimental to your weightloss Hun!!
xxx

Hi everyone, here is a message received from Aunt Bessies. I was in fact correct and there was a misprint.

Sorry you have had a problem with one of our products, we had a small misprint on some of our packaging, this has been rectified, it should read 59 kcals per baked product, all the correct information is on our website

1 pudding is 1 point at weight watchers

Hope this answers your query

Regards

Sue Quibell
Consumer Service Co-ordinator
Aunt Bessie's Limited
Freightliner Road
HULL
HU3 4UW

p.s. I lost 3Ib at WI tonight ... so not too much damage ... first week though

I'm glad that it's sorted for you Jam knew it would be a printing mistake as I've search the supermarkets for the lowest yorkies and they all seem around the 35 calories and over mark if you have an Asda near you their smart priced ones work out at 0.5 per yorkie ooh and well done on the 3 lbs

Hi Ladies, thanks for your replies Question for Starlight, if I buy two packets of crisps (or anything) at the same time from the same shop do i need to check the nutritional info on both packs or do I presume they are both the same.

Honest answer?? I run everything through my calculator before I put it on my tracker - unless its WW stuff or already pointed (like Tescos LF range) Even if I buy 2 identical ready meals I point each of them when I have them. Ive been caught out too many times in the past to be honest with things changing and as youve found out a minor change can totally screw up your points and wi result.

Well done on the weight loss Jam, looks like a few extra yorkies didn't do you any harm whatsoever - woo hoo!

Back