General advice on how SW works

Pipsqueak2011

Hi there, I'm a complete newbie so I'm sorry if this has been done to death. I'm trying to get my head around SW to work out if its for me or not.

My situation: I'm a new mum currently on maternity leave. I have always loved good food and enjoy cooking from scratch. I'm also a farmers wife and so need to provide hot meals twice a day. I've bought the latest magazine and like the look of the recipes - am cooking the lamb tagine tonight

I used to do WW and particularly did their core diet, however my diet needs to include toast now because of the baby, plus my town only has SW, not WW.

Do I understand the plans correctly?
Red: unlimited meat and have carbs as HEs
Green: unlimited carbs and weigh meat as HE

But how does EE work? I have picked up that it is a combo of both plans but how?

Also, if I joined up, would I get everything I need to work out syns?

Many thanks for your help!

EE is unlimited meat,fish,potatoes,rice,pasta,veg and fruit but the key is 1/3 of your plate superfree (veg). plus1 healthy extra a and 1 healthy extra b plus 15 syns a day.
U will be given a book with the plans in plus a section at the back for most common syns but ul also get a free online membership which has a substantial syns database plus an online syns calculator.

EE works as long as 1/3 of your meal is superfree i.e. veg/fruit so if you have a pasta meal with little or no veg then you should be looking to have some fruit afterwards. You also only get 1 HEX a & 1 HEX b. If you search this site you will find loads of ideas for meals that both you and your hubby will eat - I know coz I must have the most fussiest of eaters as a hubby and most of what I give him he eats (even enjoys lol). Hope this is helpful :)

EE works as long as 1/3 of your meal is superfree i.e. veg/fruit so if you have a pasta meal with little or no veg then you should be looking to have some fruit afterwards.

Hi I don't want to confuse you but with extra easy the idea of the one third veg with the main course is to stop you putting tons of pasta/rice/meat on your plate (only two thirds of the plate left once veggies on it) not to have the fruit after to make up for it
Go and hear from the group first without getting mixed up on here.The book actually says if you are piling on the pasta etc you may be better off doing a green day.
This is a brilliant site once you are confident with the plan but you have to be able to recognise when people are tweaking it to suit their individual needs. have a look at the section for newbies it truly is brilliant. Good luck

Nothing else to say about the plan here, just wanted to agree with Brightonrosie- this site is fab and I personally gain more support, advice and encouragement from here than I ever did at class. I'm not saying don't bother going to a class- just that the few I tried weren't for me.

Whichever you choose, good luck:)
And how awesome that you are a farmers wife, I would have loved to marry a farmer! Unlikely in suburban Liverpool though.
x

Hi Brightonrosie - this was a quote from my SW leader in the most simplistic terms i.e you can have a huge fruit salad after your meal or a side salad. In no way did I mean that you should have a huge plateful of pasta and should have state this in my post (sorry).

vickrick said:
Hi Brightonrosie - this was a quote from my SW leader in the most simplistic terms i.e you can have a huge fruit salad after your meal or a side salad. In no way did I mean that you should have a huge plateful of pasta and should have state this in my post (sorry).

This is incorrect info tho-the idea of superfree as someone said earlier is to limit the free food-therefore having it after doesn't work. You either need to have the superfree with or before the meal, as eating it after is just pointless and will result in extra calories just for the sake of it :) HTH

My leader said last night that if you don't have a third superfree with a meal you must make sure that a third of your whole day was superfree. The theory is that if you fill up on superfree foods you won't eat as much of the other foods. But free foods are just that and you can eat as much as you want.

This is incorrect info tho-the idea of superfree as someone said earlier is to limit the free food-therefore having it after doesn't work. You either need to have the superfree with or before the meal, as eating it after is just pointless and will result in extra calories just for the sake of it :) HTH

Sorry but someone emailed SW and they confirmed that you could have your superfree foods after the meal if you struggled to fit in it. Of course it is better to have them before or with the meal but SW are happy for you to have it as dessert.

My leader said last night that if you don't have a third superfree with a meal you must make sure that a third of your whole day was superfree. The theory is that if you fill up on superfree foods you won't eat as much of the other foods. But free foods are just that and you can eat as much as you want.

This is her own interpretation of the plan though, SW have never said that having one third superfree over the course of the day is an okay substitute.

And yes free foods are free but they can still affect your losses if you eat them to excess so I think it is better to say you can eat as much as you need rather than as much as you want :)

Many thanks for all your help! I'm cooking my way through the latest magazine and so far we love the recipes - I'm particularly impressed with the portion sizes! Once I know if its for us, I'll go to class and sign up.

I've got an easiyo yogurt maker and so was really pleased to see on here that certain sachets of this are free.

Many thanks

Ps Jez its a lovely life but there's a bit more muck underfoot than in Liverpool! We had our first sunny day in ages today so I stuck baby in a sling, grabbed a sheepdog and got out for a walk. Feel better already.

Back