Help Needed

bert Black

Hi i have just started Slimming world and i need help does anybody know if protein shakes are allowed or there sins etc.. I use them after a work out to replace what i have lost and to help recover. Thanks in advance for the help..

protein shakes will almost definately be classed as syns and probably very high too. is it totally necessary for you to have them or can you make your own? if its vitamins etc. you can take vitamin pills and water or cordial but protein shakes are going to really disrupt your weight loss on slimming world

out of interest i ran this Calories in Protein Shake (Powder) through the syn calculator and it came out as 6 syns on all plans which is more than a cadbury's fudge bar if you want to think of it in chocolate terms ;)

Hi i have just started Slimming world and i need help does anybody know if protein shakes are allowed or there sins etc.. I use them after a work out to replace what i have lost and to help recover. Thanks in advance for the help..

When you say "to replace what I have lost", can you tell me what you mean by this? What would you have lost?

My hubby is wanting to join me with SW, but he weight trains and has a protein shake every day made up with water, so would probably need to syn them, but we don't know what value to put on them. Since they're predominantly protein, I wouldn't have thought they'd be particularly high in syn values, but I could be wrong. I'd be interested in the answer to this.

6 Syns per package/portion

By using the maximuscle promax nutritional info, one scoop, 30grams is 6 syns!!

xxx

Oh well, I guess it won't really work then, cos he uses 10 syns every day before he's even started...

the thing is, it's not weight he's trying to lose, it's *fat*, and so if he's putting on muscle and loosing fat every week, he's likely to gain weight constantly (since muscle weighs more than fat) which kinda goes against the principles I guess...

Ooh my 2 cents' time.

Muscle doesn't really weigh more than fat, that's one of those fallacy type things. If you have the same sized amount of muscle and fat side by side, the muscle will weigh more, because 1lb of muscle is smaller than 1lb of fat.

If your husband wants to lose his excess fat and tone up his lean muscle tissue then gym combined with Slimming World would be great. Protein shakes are a bit of a gym-goer's lazy way of gaining weight that they can turn into muscle, and a man who's overweight shouldn't really be drinking them (in my humble opinion).

Some fat burning cardio combined with some toning and a good sensible diet will do your husband wonders, and if when he reaches his target weight, he wishes to go onto protein shakes to help him bulk up and be muscley, then speak to a nutritionist and see what they think and recommend.

But after a workout, nowt so energising as a banana, a cereal bar and a bottle of water. To the people who drink those energy drinks (like Powerade) that claim that they 'replace what you have lost through exercise' - unless you're an Olympic athlete, you don't really need them. Ditto protein shakes, unless you're already lean and fit and need bulk to turn into muscle.

Could he not get the required protein by havinga high protein meal, e.g. red day or EE?? Or he would just have to forgo other synful things :)

He doesn't just "tone up" he does weights sessions at a body building gym, he needs more protein to rebuild his broken muscle than he can eat in a meal. He's already pretty big in the shoulders/chest, it's just his tummy that's bothering him. He does cardio for 30-60 mins before his weight training, but he's never really going to lose huge abounts of *weight* (which was my point before), if he puts on more muscle than he loses in fat, he'll weigh more.... fact.

It's irrelevant now anyway, he's decided to eat what I eat for meals etc, but he can't give up his protein because he needs it (and can only get the same amount from eating millions of eggwhites everyday) so he'll not be following SW strictly, but the changes he does make will make a difference i'm sure.

hi every one thanks for all the answers, from reading them i have cut down on my shakes only having one after a real hard training luckily i don't have sweet tooth so 6 sins wont kill me 2 much :) thanks again for all the help

Ooh my 2 cents' time.

Muscle doesn't really weigh more than fat, that's one of those fallacy type things. If you have the same sized amount of muscle and fat side by side, the muscle will weigh more, because 1lb of muscle is smaller than 1lb of fat.

I'm guilty of saying this but actually mean exactly what you said. So from now on I'm going to expand my "muscle weighs heavier than fat" line with "for the same size piece" added on the end!!!

I'm guilty of saying this but actually mean exactly what you said. So from now on I'm going to expand my "muscle weighs heavier than fat" line with "for the same size piece" added on the end!!!

exactly, for the same sized piece of fat and muscle, muscle would weigh more. what was said above is like saying feathers weigh the same as cement. Yes, 1lb of feathers would weigh the same as 1lb of cement, but, comparing a 1cm cubed piece of both, the cement would weigh more. Which, generally, is what folk mean when comparing the weight of muscle and fat.

Just out of curiosity, I saw this thread and was wondering if hemp protein powder has the same high Syn value? I use Good Oil (hemp oil grown in the UK) for its high omega 3 content and just saw that the same company makes a protein powder. I wonder if someone could possibly put the nutritional info through the syns calculator please?
Per 30g serving:
14.1g protein
4.6g carbs (1.6g sugar)
3.8g fat (0.4g saturates)
6.3g fibre
0.0g sodium
Thanks!

5.5 syns per portion according to the calculator.

Back