How can I sweeten Quark?

kayleigh39

Born Lucky
Hi,
I'm not very fond of the taste of Quark, I think it kind of spoils cooking because I think it is too bitter.
Anyone have any ideas of how to sweeten it without adding Syns?
Thank you :)

I sweeten it with sweetner for puddings but for savoury dishes, if its in a tomato dish add a little bit of sugar (syn it) or sweetner as it can be that which makes it bitter
What recipe were you thinking about it x

try quark mixed with an options sachet for a nice dessert, I like it with the white choc one.

or try some artificial sweetener in savoury dishes, that should curb the bitter taste..

i made spaghetti carbonara last week and used quark and I couldn't taste the bitter taste in that at all

kate x

What sort of stuff are you cooking? Id be surprised if it made savoury stuff sharp? You can always add a bit of sweetener or even sugar - sugar gets a bad name but you hardly need any and its only 1 syn per tsp and once that's divided by however many portions its really negligible.

In chillies and stuff I often chuck a square of Lindt dark chocolate or something in, makes it lovely and rich and smooth, and as I say once you've divided it into portions it's hardly anything and improves your food no end. Honey's another option I use quite a bit, lovely stuff.

If its desserts, as other people have said, sweetener or Options and stuff do it. But theres nothing wrong with good old sugar, honey, chocolate etc if you use them in sensible portions. :)

In savory dishes, I use mustard or syn a spoon of pesto, bit of chilli etc.

In sweet I always put splenda and vanilla essence in it.

Thanks for your replies,
I was thinking of making desserts and the ones i like the look of say "Quark" as an ingredient.
I have tried Quark with options hot choc but still found it really bitter. I think It must be an acquired taste. :p

I dont like it at all, I use Total 2%, its creamy as anything! You can use Total 0% but for the negligible syns you may as well go for the 2%! :drool:

It's not quite as solid as Quark but still pretty thick. It's 1.5 syns for a giant 500g tub or 0.5 syns for a 150g pot, so its negligible once youve divided it between however many portions. It should be thick enough for most things, but if not maybe try doing a labne recipe with it.

Basically this is how you make labne cheese but you could equally just use the method for a more 'solid' from of yoghurt, either without putting any flavourings in, or putting sweet flavourings or whatever you like in.

Other people have done it with the Total 0% which is free but I havent tried as Im quite happy spending half a syn on the creamy version. :)

Thanks for your replies,
I was thinking of making desserts and the ones i like the look of say "Quark" as an ingredient.
I have tried Quark with options hot choc but still found it really bitter. I think It must be an acquired taste. :p

instead of quark with options try fat free fromage frais... I especially like it with white choc options it's yummy. :D

kate xx

Back