How can I tell when I'm in ketosis?

I think i might be in ketosis aswell, im only on day 2 but i have a furry tongue, stinky breath and headache! oh and no longer hungry :)

Last edited:
I tried to buy some Ketostix in Boots pharmacy, the pharmacy assistant had no idea what I was on about so I explained, she went and got her colleague and I had to explain it all over again (ALL whilst there was a huge queue right behind me), he asked me what diet I was on etc., and THEN refused to sell them to me because apparently they "usually only sell them to diabetics". I just had to smile and walk away, how humiliating.

I tried to buy some Ketostix in Boots pharmacy, the pharmacy assistant had no idea what I was on about so I explained, she went and got her colleague and I had to explain it all over again (ALL whilst there was a huge queue right behind me), he asked me what diet I was on etc., and THEN refused to sell them to me because apparently they "usually only sell them to diabetics". I just had to smile and walk away, how humiliating.

SPOOKY! I went into Boots today too - asked someone and they looked at me really strangely as they had never heard of them. They went and asked the Pharmacist who offered to order them in for me to arrive tomorrow. I said that they were for a diabetic friend...I don't think she believed me! I don't care it's taken me weeks to pluck up the courage to go and actually ask!

Can't wait to go in tomorrow!

without ketostix its very difficult to tell for certain , although if you are 100% you will defo be in ketosis by at day 5-6 at the latest . Symptoms are reduced appetite , increased energy and stinky breath , although some people get no symptoms at all .
Theey are sold in 50's as are meant for diabetics who will need them regularly , and as miss laura said some phamicists wont sell them to you if you tell them you on a VLCD , so if they ask say you have a diabetic relative !!
My CDC has some and lets her clients have a few for the first week or so , does yours have any that you could use ?

I wouldn't worry about the sticks as long as the bad breath, loss of hunger and headaches are all there it sounds like you are there. Remember to drink your water that will help with the headaches and breath

Oooh haha that is spooky!

So is it normal that pharmacies will refuse to sell them to you unless you say you are diabetic?

I wonder why... restricting your customer base like that? Unless they make no profit on them at all it makes no sense!

My CDC gives me a few lol

I have ketostix I can send out if anyone wants them. I don't use them now as I'm 810, and sadly probably won't go into ketosis, which is sad because that means I will feel this flipping hungry until I move up a step! Anyway, message me if you want my stix!!!

Minirog, I can't seem to message you :( bit I'd like them if possible please :) pls email me

As for the chemist, I went into one in London and they didn't ask me anything, just that they were £5.20.

Last edited:
I have ketostix I can send out if anyone wants them. I don't use them now as I'm 810, and sadly probably won't go into ketosis, which is sad because that means I will feel this flipping hungry until I move up a step! Anyway, message me if you want my stix!!!

I started 810 plan today and I did it last time too (just had a break). I went into ketosis on it last time x

you can buy them on ebay and when I get them, I cut them in half lengthways which gives me 100!

Does the stinky breath ever go away? I suppose I should be glad to have this metallic taste in my mouth as it's a good ketosis indicator - but it would be quite nice if it wasn't there.... :)
I'm low carbing so don't have a CDC - hope you don't mind me gate crashing!

I have never done the ketosis sticks, I just trust that I am there by following the diet and seeing the results on the scales.....oh yep and feeling like I have a fitted carpet in my mouth!
Even if we aren't in ketosis we can't fail to lose on this diet simply due to the low calories consumed.

Good luck x

Back