How do I survive a stinking cold?

noodles1609

Having a very lovely life
Help!

After managing to avoid all the hideous bugs doing the rounds since I started, I've now got that icky taste in the back of my throat, alongside the aches and pains in places you didn't know you could have aches and pains and it's quite apparent I'm about to be smacked hard with a bad case of man flu (I know it's man flu cause I've been uncontrollably channel hopping on the tv for the last 25 minutes). But here's where I run into trouble - how do I deal with this in a low carb (and pref low cal but that can go to one side for now) way? My weakness is my throat, without a doubt I'll finish off with laryngitis as I always do, but my regular throat remedies will be out of bounds, as is nice warm honey and lemon.

Any suggestions from survivers of the bleugh?

Oh no poor you. Man flu is horrendous I know!

Maybe a home made chicken broth with bouillon and as many spices/herbs as you can. I know on e of the Ribena sugar free drinks doesn't contain citric acid so you could perhaps try that warm?

I'm not sure, luckily I have survived sns now and im on dukan consolidation but I really do feel your pain. X x

Lots and lots of paracetamol and ibuprofen with even more liquids than usual to keep you hydrated. And hot baths with special bubble bath!

Thanks, had the hot bubbly bath but it felt cold, must have the temperature already - hopefully I can work it all through in a couple of days. In bed now with 3 layers of fleece! Remembered I had a chocolate shake so I've done it hot, and have to say its hitting the spot. Will be ordering more in the morning if it looks like its going to hang around for more than a day or two.

Plenty of paracetamol and ibuprofen, it is really hard to overdose on ibuprofen (my gp told me that when I had recurrent, anti-biotic resistant tonsillitis!). Plenty of fluids and rest rest rest. Also, if you need it, take what ever it takes, diet e damned, you need to get well.xx

You can take any cold/flu tablets without problem. If you end up really needing cough mixture then ask for one suitable for diabetics. Get better soon.

Paracetemol is my friend. As is sleep! Thanks all for the advice, feeling a little better, guess it'll give me a weight loss boost too, although I wouldn't be recommending it! Woke this morning with a temperature of 39, v high for me, with my pcos I normally sit at the bottom end of 36 degrees. I've slept for the majority of the day, managed a cottage pie and a little fresh chicken and that's about it. Trying to keep my fluids up when I've been awake, meant to order some chocolate shakes to be delivered tomorrow but slept right through the afternoon and missed the deadline - oops! Fingers crossed this bug disappears off as quickly as it came, at least it'll be over and done with before it can spoil Christmas stuff too :)

Hope you feel better very soon. X

Well here's a tip - keep eating! Even when you feel shocking, keep eating! Overnight I've gained the 1.5lb I'd lost so far and the only thing I've not done is eat enough. So easy not to when you feel pants and of course, no feeling hungry with ketosis, so while I'm still rough as a badgers bottom, I've had my oatmeal this morning! How ironic, the week I'm looking at a gain is the week I eat the least!

noodles1609 said:
Well here's a tip - keep eating! Even when you feel shocking, keep eating! Overnight I've gained the 1.5lb I'd lost so far and the only thing I've not done is eat enough. So easy not to when you feel pants and of course, no feeling hungry with ketosis, so while I'm still rough as a badgers bottom, I've had my oatmeal this morning! How ironic, the week I'm looking at a gain is the week I eat the least!

When you aren't well your body does a number of things to protect itself. It's quite normal to not lose the way you would think you would. It is always a good idea to have all 4 packs even if you don't want them. Your body needs the vitamins - especially when it's fighting something off.

Well I managed to shift a pound. Will update sig when I can get my poorly head off the pillow. It sure is weird being ill in ketosis, food just doesn't enter your head. I'm totally wiped out and have a fever again with the worst headache I can ever remember having, don't know if that's a combination of vlcd and virus or whether I actually have flu or something. I can usually shake most bugs in a day and a half but this one is hanging on tightly into day 4 :(

Gargling with soluble aspirin is great for dire throats

At last I'm starting to feel a little human again. Finally made it out to the pharmacy yesterday, still with a temperature but have been assured it's all normal with flu. Got some mucus cough medicine (sugar free) and a couple of packets of halls for my incredibly sore throat, again sugar free. All of a sudden yesterday afternoon, it all came back to me very quickly where I'd heard of sorbitol before - years ago when I did Atkins, one of the tips on a forum for assistance with that whole bunged up (and I'm not talking about a blocked nose!) issue was to get Thorntons diebetic toffee, but the tip was to not eat it too far from the loo..... :rolleyes: yep, I remember all about sorbitol now!!

Urgh! I have bronchitis, seriously unimpressed, now signed off work for a week. I so don't do being poorly!

Sorry you're still poorly - lots of rest and fluids while you're signed off and hopefully you'll be right as rain again in plenty of time for Christmas!

Back