How do you deal with excess skin

wenc63

Hello everyone,

I am new to this so if I am in the wrong place please forgive me.

I have lost 8 1/2 stone in the last 2 years. I had a massive hernia that needed to be operated on and to do that I had to lose 7 1/2 stone. I did it and they did the operation. I am still over weight but now that the hernia has been removed I have a huge amount of excess skin hanging from my lower tummy. I have tried Shape wear to support the mass but my skin works its way out of the leg holes and so I am wearing to sets of underwear to control it. I really want to keep losing weight and to do this I need to exercise but the skin makes it really hard.
The Dr who did the hernia repair said that I need to have the excess skin removed but, As we all know, they won't do it on the NHS.
Has anyone got any advise on how to cope with it please?

Thank

Hiya! I'm sorry to hear you're having these problems. Well done on the great weight loss though! I too have lost just over 8 stone in the last 20 months, so I know how great it feels - congratulations!! :) How did you do it? Have you pursued it with the NHS about skin removal? I know they won't do it as a matter of course, but surely if you had a hernia which has led to excess skin there must be an argument on medical grounds? I know it's not easy, as they're so pressurised for funds etc., but it may be worth seeing another doctor. Sorry I can't be much help, but just wanted to say well done anyway. :) xx

Seeing as the nhs have just given a girl a boob job coz she was unhappy with her flat chest u can argue ur case. Excess skin can cause irritation and nasty sores so it's a Medical reason. Good luck! You've worked hard u deserve it xxx

Nicki xWx said:
Seeing as the nhs have just given a girl a boob job coz she was unhappy with her flat chest u can argue ur case. Excess skin can cause irritation and nasty sores so it's a Medical reason. Good luck! You've worked hard u deserve it xxx

Alas, if only it worked like that. If it did I might not have to wait 10 years for the knee replacements I need to enable me to walk properly, but hey ho. :) I do agree that she should pursue it with them though, as I said above. I'll keep hassling them about my knees too, lol. :) xx

I wish we had nhs here in the states.

elm said:
I wish we had nhs here in the states.

Hiya! Yeah, the NHS is far from perfect, but we are lucky to have it really - we never have to worry about not being able to afford medical care, which I think we sometimes take for granted, so thanks for reminding us that we should appreciate it! :) xx

I agree Tracy. We slate the inadequacies of it but don't stop whinging long enough to be thankful for its benefits. We are lucky having the NHS and people would soon wish they could have it back if we had to have systems like America or Canada

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

toofatkat said:
I agree Tracy. We slate the inadequacies of it but don't stop whinging long enough to be thankful for its benefits. We are lucky having the NHS and people would soon wish they could have it back if we had to have systems like America or Canada

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Absolutely. I'm very aware of its inadequacies, after the treatment my Mum got in hospital before her death last year, but I wouldn't be without it. :) xx

Back