learning languages

At my school, you had to take a langauge up until GCSE and I think this should be the case throughout.

I studied German at university, and although (sadly) I don't use my German very much anymore, I still try to watch films, and read books so I don't forget it completely. My year abroad in Germany was one of the best years of my life, and it's something that will stay with me forever.

If people don't agree with you studying a language, I'd tell them that quite frankly, it's none of their business, and you should study what it is you want to!

xx

Thats mostly what we did in our classes. Found loopholes around the systems to get on games. I raced through my coursework so i could sit and play :giggle: I then went onto computer science at college and again all we ended up doing was finding ways around the system to play online :giggle:

If that's the case then fair play to you, but then again any class that has a pc, including a language class, will have kids playing games :) so just reiterates my point that IT studies are as important as a language class and I guess it's down to if the pupil is willing to learn x

To the OP - it depends what you intend to do with the degree in Spanish and Catalan (in my opinion). I've seen so many people do degrees in languages and humanities to go on and work in a shop or call centre because they can't get a job or don't know what they want to do with their degree.
I'm a translator/interpreter, so am using both my degree (English Language) and my French. But I have to admit ending up in this career by "accident" as I originally had no idea what to do with my degree!

I have absolutely no talent when it comes to learning languages and i'm gutted about it. I spent some time in Berlin and a year in Munich so I can manage conversational German and a few bits to do with my profession, but I'd have loved to have taken it further :sigh:

What's even more annoying is that English is a second language for both of my parents (my mum is from Norway and my dad is Italian) and I can't speak a WORD of either!!!! Yet my brother is practically fluent in BOTH!!!

So, good luck to you Emma-Louise, I'm certain you will forge an excellent career out of your skills because (as we all know) translators are always necessary.

We holiday in France most years, & I get a real satisfaction out of trying out my pidgin French on the poor unsuspecting locals! That said, I can hold a basic conversation, & have to say that my efforts are always appreciated! My DH almost always pushes me forward with "You speak to him/her" whenever we are in a French speaking situation , so I've no doubt this helps me :D I am by no means fluent, but the real sense of pleasure I get from being understood & responded to in a native language makes me feel so good! Even if my grammer is wrong, they just smile & correct me :D & I always feel my attempts are appreciated.

I'm learning Russian in an evening class and I LOVE IT!

Mostly I love the look on people's faces when they ask what I'm learning...soooo funny!

Why Rusian !!!! But then why not !!!

It was meant to be a mix of language and culture but was mostly language.

I needed some me-time so an evening class was perfect (I have two boys aged 2&3!) and I loved it so much I signed up for year 2! I learnt French in school, and didnt want to do Spanish (hated it the one time I went) or Italian (Sis-in-law is fluent) and german just didnt appeal. My only options were Japanese, Greek or Russian and seems how I didnt just want to learn a language the Russian course made most sense. Our teacher is Russian (unfortunately doesn't sound like a Bond villain :( ) so she tells us about Russian life and culture. It's really interesting.

Plus I feel clever when I can read the labels on the Russian vodka:gimi:

Thanks for the answer. Sounds fascinating.

Sorry you hated your one visit to Spain. I wonder where that was to make you dislike it so much. It is a truly spectacular country once you get away from the main holiday resorts and some of them have there own beauty.

Los Picos de Europa are amazing, so many fantastic places, but then perhaps I am a bit biased.

picos-de-europa.jpg

Los Picos de Europa.wonderful places................not just Benidorm and Fuengirola !!

So many

Im currently learning Cantonese. My OH is chinese and his whole family speak cantonese so the least I can do is learn the lingo! x

Back