Moving house! Have I forgotten anything?

icemoose

The Diet Guy
Just sitting here with excel trying to work out how much it will cost us to move to a new place!

I have costs for the move as

Stamp Duty - £8k
Removal Costs - £1.5k
Estate Agents Fees - £2k
Solicitors Feeds - 1k

Has anyone moved recently? Does that sound about right for the removal and solicitors fees? Also have I forgotten anything when costing it up!

Any help appreciated

Mike

Hmmm that sounds about right.....not that I have sold up recently.
Ooooo where are you thinking of moving too?????

Just to a place with a bigger drive!! We share a drive with a neighbour (well technically it is mine but he needs to access his property over it) and he is being funny having diet clients park on my drive (don't go there!!)

Anyway we have decided to find a new place with a bigger, more private drive.

We found a place yesterday which we have fallen for! It had a huge drive (9 cars!!) and also a seperate double garage that I could convert into a Cambridge office with sofa's etc so I can start a few groups as have had requests from some clients for groups so could work well.

Also this has a real fire and always wanted a real fire in a house!!

M.

Just frightens the crap outta me when I look at the mortgage payments so I might need to work Yarmouth docks a few evenings a week to cover it :eek:

Just frightens the crap outta me when I look at the mortgage payments so I might need to work Yarmouth docks a few evenings a week to cover it :eek:

ROFL....you could always open the first lapdancing club for us women, obviously its got to have some mighty fit men, im sure it will be a booming success......lol.
Save you having to go out and sell your own body !!!!!

A lapdancing club eh! Now there's an idea!

Dont forget the cost of the home information pack from June 1st (if the govt doesnt change its mind about them!). About £500 i think!

you need to pay for the HIP before you can even put the house on the market (thats one reason why mines just gone up for sale )

The solicitors fees sound a little low for buying & selling & all the conveyancing etc, would probably up it a bit. Also you usually have some costs associated with a new mortgage that are better to pay upfront, else you end up paying 25 years interest on them.

Don't know what sort of mortgage you are looking into but we have a great one with Lloyds TSB...it is an offset mortgage that tracks at 0.25% (I think) above base rate. With an offset you don't get interest on any savings or on your current account (& I use my Cambridge bank account as offset too!) but you don't pay interest on that element of your mortgage. The other BIG bonus with this for us is with Lloyds you can use other peoples money.... we use one of my parents accounts & pay them the interest...thye don't lose out as they are getting the money & big savings for us... worth a thought....

Another thing it is worth doing is taking your mortgage out for a longer period (say 30 years) but making overpayments to bring it in line with the value you would pay over 25 years. This means you are paying off capital which reduces your term to lower than the 25 years...... could go into the maths behind it but it is a bit boring! Beware though with some mortgages you can't make overpayments or are limited to a value or % each year.

Hope this all helps.

Nicky

Just sitting here with excel trying to work out how much it will cost us to move to a new place!

I have costs for the move as

Stamp Duty - £8k
Removal Costs - £1.5k
Estate Agents Fees - £2k
Solicitors Feeds - 1k

Has anyone moved recently? Does that sound about right for the removal and solicitors fees? Also have I forgotten anything when costing it up!

Any help appreciated

Mike

Mike

I moved about a year ago, so no doubt my prices have gone up but ......

Stamp Duty (dependant on house price obviously)

Removal Costs (£1.2k, which included packing etc - I was sole sourcing at the time and Mrs Brad did not want me to get tired :coffee:)

Estate Agents Fee (1.25%, although some more 'local' offices were doing it for less)

Solicitors (£400 to sell, £400 to buy PLUS extra letters, flood checks etc, totaling £1.1k)

The other stuff is costs when you actually move in - ie decorating, flooring etc etc, which when married to Mrs Brad, this means a blank cheque :cry: :cry: and a ball and chain :eek: :eek:

I have moved several times and tbh, none of my moves have been what you might describe as smooth and all incurred those "oh how unlucky" additional costs - so budget for them as well mate ;).

Good luck

Pretty much sounds like you've got it covered there Mike, include the HIP unless you get your house on pronto - before 1st June. And don't forget the price of the takeaway on the day you move in :p

We're going through it ourselves at the moment, what a nightmare it is, just hope it's all worth it in the end :D

Back