My Shopping List. How can i spend so much?

Littleslimmingbee

Gold Member
Shape yoghurts x2 £2
WW dessert yoghurts x2 £2
Passata 40p
kidneybeans 40p
pasta and sauce 76p
big carton orange juice £1.48
passata 40p
pasta 96p
rice £1.12
pepsi x2 £2.50
Ribena really light £2.71
washing up liquid 75p
ham slices 94p
hartleys jelly pots x2 36p (with voucher)
cadburys chocolate highlights 6sachets for £1
wholemeal pittas 47p
bacon 3 for £5
milk £1.43
loo roll £1.68
wholemeal pittas 47p
natural yoghurt 98p
double thick cream £1.15
milk £1.43
cathedral city 700g £5.98
onions 98p
watermelon £2.60
watermelon £2.60 ( i thought they were labeled 2 for £3 i can see now they were not! )
iceburg lettuce 98p
choclate cheesecake slices £1.97
carrots 23p
apples £1.47
oranges £2
biscuits 44p
biscuits 57p
tomatoes 97p
peppers £1.60
farmhouse bread £1.24
Always £2
pg tips 92p

Okay. Bearing in mind i didnt buy joe any beer. Didnt needs eggs, crisps, butter or any meats bar the bacon because i bought it last week..

HOW do i spend almost £60 every week for two of us. I just dont understand!

I write a menu, i write a list of the foods iv already got. Then the list of foods i need.. and i only ever buy what is on my list. Nothing more or less. I try to buy whats on offer etc. I just do not understand how i manage it?? can you imagine how much it'd have been had i bought the things i'd (luckily) already got here??

sussing out best prices and spreading my shop across stores but fuel wise not helpful plus where would i find the time?
Iv given up alpen lights etc...

HELP?! LOL

xxxx
SIL has suggested

my shopping is about the same price - cost of living etc - i think thats a normal cost for 2 people babe x

Do you think? i mean when you say £30 per person for the week that seems more than reasonable, but some think that £60 a week for 2 is alot, and im sure iv seen someone post somthing simalar and had responses from people spending far less on two people per week!

- and i mean a week, if that. I shop wednesday before sw, then im all set for thurs, and my shopping has been done with a good healthy clear mind! but i never have anything in the house come wed morn. which means im not eating well on wiegh in day, and although i allow a treat wi eve, i dont want to get into the habit of an all day treat.

Such like this morn, my breakfast consisted of choc chip cookies, 2 choc bars and a bag of peanuts (yes i realise thats awful, but i was starving, and also in the need of some serious choc fix lol)

xx

try shopping online - maybe that will give you an idea of costs, esp if you want to keep to a budget

looking at your list, i would say the following changes could be made to save cash:

Ribena- trade for store own brand to save some pennies
£4 was spent on individual yogs - do you need this many? what about natural yogurt - then add some fruit?
cheese- you have a named brand - perhaps look at offer cheeses or a store own brand!?

you also have things that i class as 'non foods' such as always, washing up liquid - this totals nearly £5.

Also - cheesecake, cream and biscuits could be left on the shelf lol!

Good luck honey xxx

Fern i think it depends what you want to eat honey - me and my OH like our nice foods - when we go out for a meal, we could easily spend £60 for the two of us, so that puts the shopping budget into perspective (i must add - that is not the normal price, sometimes we go for a burger 241 offer and spend £15!!!! its just an example)

There are families on tight budgets, who manage on much less, and im sure it nutritional and lovely - but i like a good bit of meat every now and then - (who doesn't....hahah!) and this can pull the shopping costs skyward!

Try shopping online - i used Ocado the other day and had a code that gave me £12 off my shopping (just did a google search) xxxx

try shopping online - maybe that will give you an idea of costs, esp if you want to keep to a budget

looking at your list, i would say the following changes could be made to save cash:

Ribena- trade for store own brand to save some pennies

Is there a shop brand thats free??? i wasnt aware there was, trying to cut down on the pepsi max, so thought i'd give it ago?
£4 was spent on individual yogs - do you need this many? what about natural yogurt - then add some fruit?

I eat ALOT of fruit and yogs, and as i live with a walking black hole, these yoghurts get me through the tough times!

cheese- you have a named brand - perhaps look at offer cheeses or a store own brand!?

i didnt know if it actually made a massive difference price wise to be honest! i proberly should look into this. Thanks :D i always try and look for the ones on offer..
you also have things that i class as 'non foods' such as always, washing up liquid - this totals nearly £5.

Also - cheesecake, cream and biscuits could be left on the shelf lol!

Its my contribution to 'wifey night' (after Wi treat with best friend) Biscuits are OH's he's a biccy and Tea fanatic. :p
Good luck honey xxx

Thank you!!!

Iv been shopping in asda because i can go straight from work rather than driving home and then going to my local morrisons and running the risk of bumping into people i dont like lol!! but im getting the impression that for all there 'offers' im hardly saving anything, and possibly spending more, thinking im saving! x

I spen more than this on one adult and 2 kids. However, I do know where I could cut down if need be. Firstly, the yoghurts, I wouldn't want to live without then either, but you have picked the most expensive brand! WW, and Shape. Asda own are fat free and good. Big tubs are cheaper still. I spend £1.12 on 12 rolls of loo roll! There is deffo cheaper cheese than cathedral city. Ribena is REALLY paying for the brand! The watermelon is a very expensive fruit treat. Just my thoughts. It's not an extortionate amount to spend on two young adults for the week though. It really isn't.

We went into to tescos to get a few things yesterday & spent £60 but we ended up doing a proper shop. That's for hubby, 14 month old baby (eats loads lol) & myself.

All the fruit adds up in supermarkets I'm lucky enough to have a Sat market that does fruit & veg can get the whole lot for about £15.

I think that's about the normal price.

I think that is super cheap. We are hitting about £35 per person at the moment! However, pre-SW we were spending that on lunches at work Mon-Fri each - our pre SW takeaway/lunch costs were probably close to £80 per person per week + loads on alcohol at the weekend.

Have you thought of getting the weekly emails from all the supermarkets to tell you what offers they have? You can often save alot on veg. 700g of cheese seems alot for 2 people. There are always offers on cheese at Morrisons which would be much cheaper than that.
I suppose I spend between £45 and £50 a week for 2 of us.

Iceland do these for £1 pound each so if your buying bulk because its on offer Iceland might be a choice.
pasta and sauce 76p
In Iceland you can get 2 packets for 89p, home bargains it's 50p each. If you have an iceland near by maybe stock up?
pepsi x2 £2.50
Iceland do pepsi for a pound a bottle.

So...if you have an iceland, especially for non perishables (like pepsi and pasta n sauce) you could bulk buy.

If you have no iceland anywhere near you, this is the most pointless post of all time.

Iceland do these for £1 pound each so if your buying bulk because its on offer Iceland might be a choice.
pasta and sauce 76p
In Iceland you can get 2 packets for 89p, home bargains it's 50p each. If you have an iceland near by maybe stock up?
pepsi x2 £2.50
Iceland do pepsi for a pound a bottle.

So...if you have an iceland, especially for non perishables (like pepsi and pasta n sauce) you could bulk buy.

If you have no iceland anywhere near you, this is the most pointless post of all time.

Not so, you might have helped someone else!! xxx

Hey guys!

Thanks for all your replies.
we would be spending ALOT more if we were still eating like we did before sw and whilst were were still at home, spending £40 on things for the fridge and then taking out £10 EACH every day to cover lunch and stuff.

700g is alot of cheese :D lol, i wouldnt usually buy this much at all, it's a double pack, so i plan to not buy any next week. We go through a pack a week, as i eat my 28g everyday and joe often has cheese in his sandwhichs or cheese on toast if he doesnt get home from work untill really late.

we do actually have an iceland near me, so that's really helpful! - iv been advised aldi are the best for fruit and veg, but not anything else, i do also know the pepsi is on offer (or was) for a £1 per bottle at morrisons, but i think im worried if i start spreading it across different shops i could end up spending more picking up other things whilst im there.

my sister said its expensive because im having a meat every day (as i do EE) but then it wouldnt save me money, because then i'd be having two HEB's and as i only like the pittas or alpens, for a box of 5 for £1.80 and eating two at a time, i wouldnt be saving money wise. Plus i still ahve to feed joe! LOL

maybe im over re-acting a little. However looking over what iv actually 'saved' on my recipts shopping at asda, its literaly a pound or so, and when i think im saving money on all there offers, when im actually saving only 10p or so.. i think im being conned!!

I went to Asda last night and bought the following:

3 packs of smart price pasta @ 37p each their own pasta was 70p for a smaller bag
3 cartons of smart price passata @ 39p each
their own cartons were 65p
2 tins of smart price chopped tomatos @ 31p each
their own tins were 55p
Then my brother picked up 4 packets of puffin biscuits @ £2.50 for all 4.
the smart price brand I could have gotten 8 packets for that!!!

I think sometimes we have to buy the 'smart price' stuff as it tastes the same and is so much cheaper!

Other than what other people have said I'd like to add, iceberg lettuce isn't in season at the mo so it will be expensive, try an alternative to lettuce eg cabbage or carrots, try & buy fruit & veg which is in season. Morrisons have cheese on offer at mo 3 (I think it's called Davids or something) for a £5, bargin.

Shops own is only a good buy if it tastes ok & doesn't get wasted. I'd buy shops own passata, pasta, rice, tinned toms etc. but not baked beans or soup. BTW rice has gone up in price because of the rain.

I can spend anywhere between £70-£100 for 3 adults & one occassional daughter!

But SW is definately more expensive on red days, you could try cheaper cuts of meat eg liver.

:D

I went to Asda last night and bought the following:

]
3 cartons of smart price passata @ 39p each
their own cartons were 65p

We bought 3x Asda's own passata last night for 40p each! That's a serious price difference from place to place!

I think Aldi & Lidl do have cheaper F&V in general, and up until a few weeks ago we always stocked up there - but at the moment, with the stuff we buy Asda's deals are all working out cheaper, so we're sticking there for a while.

It does seem quite reasonable though, there's just the 2 of us and our bill can vary between 40-80 depending on what we buy - usually though it's somewhere around 50-60 (and there's no 'treats' in there as we're lucky and have a little Tesco about 3 minutes walk away so we say if we want treats, we've got to want them enough to go out for them! - works for us :D)

I go to Sainsburies about 3ish where they have tons of reduced stuff and I also buy supermarkets own brand.
Asda is good for offers like two packets of pasta and three tins of toms for a squid and such like :)

Some really good advice from everybody on here! Thanks!

I have to say although i do love asda i do find that they do con you into buying things you wouldnt buy more of because they are on offer take for instants there 2 for £3 deals

the product is £1.78 each on a 2 for £3 deal so its £3.56 so you save 56p but you have spent an extra £1.22 you didnt need too!

I know we all do it but the supermarkets do love to con you! I actually work for iceland and i have to say some of the deals we do are really good! And things like a bag of frozen chicken fillets for £3 or the sliced ready cooked chicken breast for £2 are really good for making curries, stews and casseroles.

Back