mick360

Hi all I'm new to this site, thinking of joining my local Slimming World club on Wednesday can someone please tell me whether doing this diet increases your food bill by much. I look at the recipes and they all look so good so easy but to get all the various ingredients each week is surely expensive, I live alone (divorced) so most of the meals recipes I will either have to reduce to one portion or freeze left overs? Also some of the lunch options are impossible for me 20 minutes lunch is not enough time to eat some of these suggestions same goes for breakfast normally porridge with some treacle on top, then maybe some bananas, satsumas through the day and maybe tin mackerel in tom sauce. Then tea whatever that might be, no supper, then all starts again
How do i plan all this without the diet taking over my life
Advice please.............thank you

Hi, just in terms of cost, I think it depends on the kind of things you eat now. Fruit and veg is, i think, relatively expensive when compared to chips etc, and I eat a lot more fruit than pre-SW. However, there are always deals on at the various supermarkets.

You could half the portion sizes from the recipes so you make two portions, have one for dinner and then take one for lunch. If its just a case of heating something up in the microwave, it should be a quick and speedy lunch. I find it also helps me monitor my syn values, as I always try to make low syn dinners, and then know that I am also having a low syn (or synless ideally!) lunch.

It does take time to plan recipes and to make everything, but you will feel so much better for it!

Hope this helps a little bit - I am only on week two, so don't have all of the pearls of wisdom that I am sure others will have!

If you like cooking and you normally do so, it shouldn't be that much more expensive. Pasta rice and potatoes and eggs are cheap and very quick to prepare. Buy your fruit and veg from somewhere like Lidl or Aldi if you have one. Making more for the freezer is an excellent idea. You could have a homemade sandwich for lunch and your porridge for breakfast as before. Looking at adapting what you already eat may work out a cheaper option for you than starting buying new ingredients. If you are not sure about anything ask at group and on here Good luck x

Morning

As Rachael said, the key to it is planning.

I find that now it's just me and my 13 year old, with just a fridge with small freezer compartment, taking the time to plan is the only way I can do this.

Also taking the time on working out how to adapt recipes and meal suggestions.

Good luck if you do join on Wednesday, and if you don't we're still here to help x

Welcome Mick 360!
Come and join us at the best forum you will find!
Have you got a slow cooker? if so then use it to cook your meals using the cheaper cuts of meat, soups, curries, etc.....
I make a weekly menu and then I know what to buy, that way the food bill is lower. As others have said, make meals for 2 and freeze the other portion, that way you could live out of the freezer if money is short!
I eat a lot of salads & fruit and it does cost but by looking around for deals you will find that the supermarkets fight each other with deals.....
If you have Asian shops near you check out their fruit, it's usually sold in a bowl for £1-00!
Pete

Thank you for all the advice tomorrow is the big day, I want to do this for my family, myself, and my gorgeous grand daughter Eva months I want to be able to see her grow up marry etc.

thats fab reasons for wanting to do this, I cna only echo what has been said above really, the 2 p's are the this ... planning and preparation.

oh yeah and try not to think of it as a 'diet' think of if more as a new way of eating, it'll becme second nature after a while.

dont be shy to ask questions x

Back