Off Topic stuff you really need to know!!!

KD

Gone fishing
Just found this out today:cool:

Why is WD-40 called WD-40

In 1953
, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out.
But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

Wow. So pleased I know that :)

You may giggle Becky (cos I did :giggle:) but I was thinking about it this evening, and decided it wasn't off topic at all:cool:

They wanted something so bad. It probably consumed their thoughts from morn til night. It may have even distrupted their social life.

Each time they 'failed'. They just couldn't do it. They couldn't get the results they wanted.

39 times they tried....then...hey presto.

Bet they were dead chuffed when they achieved their goal ;)

I already knew that, and it even came in handy for a pub quiz! I love crap information xx

You may giggle Becky (cos I did :giggle:) but I was thinking about it this evening, and decided it wasn't off topic at all:cool:

They wanted something so bad. It probably consumed their thoughts from morn til night. It may have even distrupted their social life.

Each time they 'failed'. They just couldn't do it. They couldn't get the results they wanted.

39 times they tried....then...hey presto.

Bet they were dead chuffed when they achieved their goal ;)

excellent, i just hope i dont have to restart my diet 39times!!!!!!!!!

OK I will raise your WD-40 fact with the following....

The typewriter was invented by Hungarian immigrant Qwert Yuiop, who left his "signature" on the keyboard.

The typewriter was invented by Hungarian immigrant Qwert Yuiop, who left his "signature" on the keyboard.
Now is that really true? If it is then that is cool, if not then I am a gullible idiot! Ha ha

im pretty sure that isnt true, i thought that the placement of keys on a keyboard was due to the old fashioned typewriters where they keys would get tangled when typing, therefore the keys most unlikely to be used at the same time were placed beside each other. qw; zx; vb etc.

excellent, i just hope i dont have to restart my diet 39times!!!!!!!!!

I did...I did....do I get a prize?:cool:

Me too :D I believe it's called 'useless information'? I also believe that KD is full of it! ;):D

th_curtsey.gif

I've never managed to find out if that's really true. If it is, Qwert Yuiop is a fool:mad: Stoopid man making 'a' little finger of left hand. What was he thinking!!

Im not sure Mike is right,
Christopher Latham Sholes invented the QWERTY keyboard in 1875 when he produced the first commercial typewriter.

The QWERTY keyboard was designed when the typewriter was invented in around 1875. Keyboards were indeed set up alphabetically, but because of the mechanical linkages of the keys that typed on the paper, they would get jammed up, when one would come up before the previous could get out of the way. The QWERTY was designed as a solution, mixing up the letters, so that as certain letters were typed, the keys wouldn't jam up nearly as much.

In mid-20th Century, a man named Dvorak designed a new keyboard, with most of used common words available by typing on the home level only (where you rest your fingers to start).

But later tests found that the QWERTY was actually little bit better. Govt tests found that a very good typist was good with either the Dvorak or the QWERTY keyboard. If you're a bad typist, you'll be bad with either keyboard.

The "natural" keyboard designed for computers does help some to deal with using their hands more easily on a rounded keyboard than a straight one.

Me mum told me that so I cant take all the credit!

i love useless information! the wd40 thing came up at a pub quiz i went to too....maybe we should have a minimins egg heads team!

xxx

Back