OT: I'm looking to start a photography business and I need some feedback please!

What shall I call my business?

• Ruth Gxxxxx Photography

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Picture Book Photography

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Photos by Ruth

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • None of the above

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters

RuthG

Gold Member
I'm trying to set up my photography business, as a wedding and portrait photographer. Most things about the business idea are pretty clear cut, apart from the name.

Basically I have 3 options, all of which have pros and cons, and I can't make my mind up, so I thought I'd see what the general consensus was here...

1. Ruth Gxxxxx Photography

Pros: Simple, sounds professional, personal identification. Cons: People rarely pronounce my surname correctly, and may put people off contacting me.

2. Picture book photography

Pros: Simple name Cons: ?? sounds professional, too twee?

3. Photos by Ruth

Pros: Simple, personal identification. Cons:Not sure if it sounds professional enough..

What are your thoughts?

Hi Ruth
I like number 2 . Can I put one in for you , What about Picture Perfect By Ruth . Good luck with your business . Take care .
Margaret xx

Number 1, is my fave.

Im a driving instrucotor ( by day :D) and use only my name, its simple and people DO remember it..they never use my surname or even ask for me by my surname over the phone.

Choice is yours though and i wish you well with whatever you chose :)

I personally think anything with just using your first name sounds a bit amateur, but that's just me.
I would go with the first one. Most people that call will use your first name anyway.
Additionally, if someone uses you and is pleased and wants to recommend you, it's easy for them to remember your name than a business name.
I work in a consultancy role and people do business with 'me' not my business; I reckon half don't even know the name of my business!

Good luck with it. My Dad is a photographer and had a business for many years and did weddings. He now teaches it. He doesn't miss weddings - not an easy job!

I'm leaning more to option 1, I have done from the moment I considered photography as a business........

I love doing weddings, hard work, but so so rewarding! I've only done a couple, but I've already got 2 booked for next year!

Very good ruth! youre doing something right ;)

Option one is simple. It would catch my eye immediately.

Each to thier own though...

Are your fee's for photography attracting a 'certain' market? Your business name may have to stay very simple and clean cut the more 'upmarket' you go... cant get over what i mean here very well without sounding bad lol ... certain sectors like certain name sakes. With my industry its always 'ohh such & such taught me' rather than the school..

Every industry is diferent hey :)

Mrsessex We are coming from the same view point I believe! I totally agree with you. I'm about 99% certain that I'm going with Ruth Gxxxxx photography, I've liked it from the start, my H was just trying a few other options and it's thrown me off a bit.

I would also always suggest going with your gut and you won't go far wrong, but you'll be more on board with it.

I know what you mean about the market as well. It's the different between something like 'Clare Smith Hair Design' and 'Clare's Hair.' One would go down well in high end areas and the other would work on a local seafront!

God I hope no-one reading this thread has a hairdressers called Clare's Hair lol

Watergirl, I've just laughed out loud, but totally 100% agree with you!

Option 1 it is!

Thanks everyone, mwah!

PS thanks to all who voted!

Good luck with the buisness! x x

Hi Ruth,
I know this is a late post but just wanted to vote for option 1. A stand out or hard to pronounce surname is not always a bad thing (it's more unique)and using your name I think is best for any creative work. I am an artist (painter) and tried various options but now just use my full name. Best wishes in your new venture.

Back