OT - LighterLife = NO LIFE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im glade i stopped this diet a few days ago to start slimming world today :)
thanks for posting this!
xoxo

a friend of mine done lighterlife and lost nearly 11 stone in a matter of months, he was found dead a couple of weeks ago (im not saying lighter life was the cause) but they could not find anything when he was examined.

it was so bloody sickening that he lost all this weight to have a better life and enjoy himself and this happens

At least the only side effects of SW is that you might trump a bit more often cos you're not used to eating so much veg. The weight may not come off as fast but who would you rather be, the hare or the tortoise?

Side effects of LL? Death. Ugh. URRRGHHH!!!

a friend of mine done lighterlife and lost nearly 11 stone in a matter of months, he was found dead a couple of weeks ago (im not saying lighter life was the cause) but they could not find anything when he was examined.

it was so bloody sickening that he lost all this weight to have a better life and enjoy himself and this happens

I am so so sorry for the loss of your friend. :cry:That is so sad! It puts all our weight gain and eating woes in perspective when you read something like this.

yes i wanted to say stuff the diet as its not worth losing weight then a couple of days later another friend had a massive stroke and he is big and that got me back on track, but i am still ahving trouble fighting the should i diet or shouldnt i negativity of it all.
but i think posting on this thread has got it out of me as i have not spoke about it before now its just been going round in my head
thank you

Gosh thats so sad, I really feel for the families involved, what a waste:cry:

I think it is a reflection of society that we are all looking for the next low work quick fix.

I would rather get there slowly than not get there at all.

yes i wanted to say stuff the diet as its not worth losing weight then a couple of days later another friend had a massive stroke and he is big and that got me back on track, but i am still ahving trouble fighting the should i diet or shouldnt i negativity of it all.
but i think posting on this thread has got it out of me as i have not spoke about it before now its just been going round in my head
thank you

Oh dear Kaz i'm sure it's been really horrible for you. Don't 'stuff the diet' because you're on the BEST healthy eating plan money can buy.

Your friend's story will be so beneficial to helping others choose to NOT go down the 'quick fix' route and he may even save some lives along the way. It's by no means a silver lining, but the more people who decide that simply 'eating less crap and moving more often' will cause healthy and stable weight loss, the better for all concerned.

Much much much hugs to you for the loss of a very dear friend. :sigh:

Oh my life!!!! Can you really only take in 500 calories a day on Lighterlife??!! I had no idea it was that restricted.

And of course, the same thing could have happened if she exercised...and often does. The diet wasn't the cause of death.

It's interesting to read this very good comment from a GP Dr Martin Scurr

"As a short-term measure for helping people kick-start weight loss, I'm a big fan of commercial diets, even crash diets such as LL. "

and

"That is why the tragic death of Samantha Clowe seems unlikely to be the fault of the diet itself, but was down to some other problem. And as the Coroner indicated, this was probably due to her heart."

It's so easy to blame the diet, yet I never hear scare stories about people warning against exercise, even though there has been many more cases of this happening with physical exercise than with the doing diets such as these.

So sad though. Tragic :(

Also, in that article the Dr said she was 'clinically obese' but also 'fit & healthy' when she started LL...is it possible to be both at the same time??

Also, in that article the Dr said she was 'clinically obese' but also 'fit & healthy' when she started LL...is it possible to be both at the same time??

Yes, you can :)

And before doing LL, the doctor would have checked her over and agreed that the diet was safe for her to do. She appeared not to have any health issues. Just overweight. Lots of people are relatively fit, even in the obese catagory, and likewise, others in the 'healthy' catagory can be unfit.

BTW, great article here ;)

Crash diet saved me from killer breast cancer lump - mirror.co.uk

:D

And of course, the same thing could have happened if she exercised...and often does. The diet wasn't the cause of death.

It's interesting to read this very good comment from a GP Dr Martin Scurr

"As a short-term measure for helping people kick-start weight loss, I'm a big fan of commercial diets, even crash diets such as LL. "

and

"That is why the tragic death of Samantha Clowe seems unlikely to be the fault of the diet itself, but was down to some other problem. And as the Coroner indicated, this was probably due to her heart."

It's so easy to blame the diet, yet I never hear scare stories about people warning against exercise, even though there has been many more cases of this happening with physical exercise than with the doing diets such as these.

So sad though. Tragic :(

Excess of everything is bad for you. Excessive exercise is just as dangerous as excessive water consumption or excessive calorie restriction.

If you make excuses for this kind of diet plan people are going to continue to die. The 'It's only one or two out of thousands' tag is ridiculous. One or two is one or two too many.

and 'seems unlikely' is not the same as a 'definitive answer'

No matter how many times LL fans peddle excuses about how great it is, I refuse to believe in it. No way can eating 500 calories a day be good for you. NO WAY!

If you make excuses for this kind of diet plan people are going to continue to die. The 'It's only one or two out of thousands' tag is ridiculous. One or two is one or two too many.

I'm not making excuses for it. Don't need to. She died whilst on the diet, not because of the diet. The diet my well have caused her previous problem to appear, but it could have happened when she was exercising too....and not excessively.

We had this happen to a young lad at school. He had the same heart condition and died whilst playing football :( Not excessively either.

Sorry KD, we will have to agree to disagree. Good for you if you're still alive, and good luck maintaining that. But this girl is not. And she was on LighterLife when it happened.

I think each and every one of us will say that our "diet" plan is the best and most effective, and for that individual it is so.
I will tell anyone who will listen how fantastic SW is and how awful RC, WW and Atkins are (they are the others I have done, never done VLC), because SW works for me and the others didn't.

For KD, CD worked and still works on maintenance. For us SW works and it rules IMO!!

Those on WW will say how fabulous it is and probably how rubbish SW is.

I have to agree with vixxster though, how can 500 cals a day be healthy??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back