Recommend Good movies

I'm trying to think what I've watched recently...Prince of Persia was good, as was Gulliver's Travels (Jack Black amuses me!).

The new Karate Kid film was good, though not a patch on the originals (maybe not the 4th one with Hilary S****!)

Water for Elephants was very enjoyable (but not as good as the book)

The Twilight Saga (hot vampires and werewolves :drool:) obviously, beaten only by Interview with a Vampire

In terms of sci-fi, the only films I'll watch are E.T. and Flight of the Navigator, lol!

Now Steve, if you'd said you liked girly films I could have given you a list as long as my arms! My two (yes two :eek:) editions of Dirty Dancing sit right next to Kill Bill and Kill Bill 2 in my collection, lol!

If you liked My Big Fat Greek Wedding, have you watched Connie and Carla? I think that's very funny! Toni Collette is a good actress :) Ooo, that reminds me of In Her Shoes (she's in that, along with Cameron Diaz)

Best Jodie Foster films by far are Sommersby, Maverick and Anna and the King (although Anna and the King is nowhere near as good as The King and I)

I love musicals, so I love all things like:

Mary Poppins
The Sound of Music
Thoroughly Modern Millie
The King and I
Grease
Grease 2 :eek:
Footloose
Oliver
Chicago
Cabaret
West Side Story
My Fair Lady
Singin' in the Rain
Oklahoma
Annie
The Phantom of the Opera (Gerard Butler is fit!)
Sweeney Todd (Johnny Depp is actually very good) etc etc!

When/if Jekyll and Hyde comes out as a feature length musical film, it'll be the first thing on my list to see! :D Even though I only went to see it on stage just over a month ago, lol!

Hmm we'll agree to disagree!

Best Jody Foster films/roles in my opinion/

Silence of the lambs (Clarice)
Nell
The Accused (excellent, harrowing portrayal)
Little Man Tate

Even her role in Taxi driver as a juvenile prostitute was memorable alongside De Niro.

Some of them chick flix mentioned are too fluffy even for someone as eclectic in their tastes as me.;)

Hmm we'll agree to disagree!

Best Jody Foster films/roles in my opinion/

Silence of the lambs (Clarice)
Nell
The Accused (excellent, harrowing portrayal)
Little Man Tate

Even her role in Taxi driver as a juvenile prostitute was memorable alongside De Niro.

Some of them chick flix mentioned are too fluffy even for someone as eclectic in their tastes as me.;)

:eek::eek: Fluffy?!?!?! They are classic musical films!

But yes, they are a bit fluffy if you aren't keen on musicals ;)

So which one of us is Arnie? or Danny?

So that's three of us on the sofa, ignoring Sci fi, Fluffy films, and Jack Black.

Just thought it's the three 'S's' Sian, Steve and Shirl!

It has to be The Princess Bride.

That and Love Actually: best films ever.

End of.

Shirleen said:
Just thought it's the three 'S's' Sian, Steve and Shirl!

I'll have to be Sarah rather than Jim then!

Oh it's not twee!

It's one of the best, and funniest, films ever.
Shall I bring it with me?

Splendid Sarah

I have actually seen it - it is the one with Peter Falk (Columbo) reading the story to his grandkids or something. It was on last year. I thought it was modern but 1987..

I don't really watch films as a rule...... But, and that but is the Rocky Horror Picture Show.....yes it's a musical of sorts, yes it's sic-fi in passing, but not in the typical sense of the word, and it's very clever, you can watch it 10 times, and see something new.
It's just so very different

Steve, you could get away with the fishnets these days too!!

The last film that I saw is CARS 2. I enjoyed every bit of it. If you love Mater, then go watch the flick. It's just perfect to lighten up your mood. But i have to admit, I was bad that time, I ate too much pop corn and a slice of cake while watching. Now I have to shed them off. :cry:

Rotten Tomatoes is the site I usually use when I have to pad out the Love Film list, as there are lots of different reviewers. We just had Rango out, it was quite good, but went on a wee bit too long. Due Date was dire, Battle Los Angeles was good, as was Eagle. The Orphanage is one of the scarier films I've seen, along with the first Paranormal Activity, [rec] and The Strangers. My all time faves are:

Gran Torino
The Crank series
Brave Little Toaster
Flight of Dragons
Green Mile
Romeo & Juliet (Baz Lurhman)
Edward Scissorhands
10 Things I Hate About You
Zoolander
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Superbad
All Dogs Go To Heaven
Freddie Got Fingered
Labyrinth
Chopper
Monster (Aileen Wuornas story)
Most Quentin Tarantino offerings
And Tim Minchin comedy DVD series :)

I'm sure there's lots of others, but Sunday mornings ain't my *thing*.

Not a film but through lovefilm we have worked our way through seasons 1 - 6 of House with Hugh Laurie - amazing tv, worth a watch if you have not seen it already. Am just gutted that the last three seasons are not available to rent at the moment! x

charlies_mummy said:
Not a film but through lovefilm we have worked our way through seasons 1 - 6 of House with Hugh Laurie - amazing tv, worth a watch if you have not seen it already. Am just gutted that the last three seasons are not available to rent at the moment! x

I too liked House, and was gutted when they moved it to sky

Zoolander is ace, I've seen it loads of times but it never fails to make me laugh.

I watched sucker punch last night, amazing soundtrack and makes you think. I loved it.

Back