Seroxat! Panorama 8.30 p.m.!

Mini

Administrator
Staff member
[SIZE=-1]Reporter Shelley Jofre investigates how Britain's biggest drug company, GlaxoSmithKline, deliberately misled doctors into prescribing the anitidepressant Seroxat to teenagers even after one of its own clinical trials indicated that they were six times more likely to become suicidal after taking it. She reveals the secret trail of internal emails which show how GSK manipulated the results of the trial for commercial gain and reveal how the company continued to deny safety problems with the drug. [/SIZE]

Panorama Programme description on BBC 1 | Yahoo! TV UK

Last edited:
Hmmm yes I heard about this on the news this morning. I was prescribed Seroxat for well over a year and although I'm not a teenager I certainly felt extreemly weird while I was on it. Almost zombie like and as if I was living in a big bubble cut off from the world. I wasn't self harming until I was on Seroxat either!

It has awful side effects when you try to come off it too. You have to wean yourself off it very very slowly. I'm not surprised if it has an effect on younger people that sends them over the edge.

Criminal, I think, to inflict those sorts of effects on already vunerable and ill teenagers.

I was addicted to this evil drug for SIX YEARS and gained six stones in this time. I also had terrible suicidal thoughts - it was only the thought of how my girls would deal it that prevented me from carrying it out.

It took me months to wean myself off it. The terrible thing is that I was never at ANY TIME told it was an anti depressant - I was told it was a 'seratonin replacement therapy'. :mad:

I was on it for over a year, but on the whole was ok with it, took ages to come off it though, had to do it so slowly.

It's frightening where you hear these things after you've been taking them.

I was on it for 10 years and was fine. In fact I hate to think where I would have been without it and my counselling sessions. I came off it when I started CD without any bother
Irene xx

I was on it for 10 years and was fine. In fact I hate to think where I would have been without it and my counselling sessions. I came off it when I started CD without any bother
Irene xx

Maybe that was one of the problems with the way I was treated Irene ... I was never offered a single counselling session. I just had a prescription chucked at me and the dosage increased each time I went back and said I felt worse. I'm sure seroxat must work for some people ... it can't possibly have a negative effect on everyone but I think the problems begin when it's just doled out like smarties without any back-up.

Glad it was of help to you though :)

Back