Slimming World advertising???

They dont, i cant recall ever seeing a slimming world advert on telly or radio or online much. I know it diet story's in womens mags they get a bit of free advertising there when they say they lost weight with slimming world. But they dont really bother do they. Its not like its effecting them though as the club always seems to be popular and has been going for a long time

They never have done the likes of TV advertising. I was told by a consultant that they don't need to.
That's it really! I don't know why though.

I seem to remember there was an TV advert a few years ago but it wasn't around for long. But as said SW prefers to work by word of mouth

I remember reading that membership-wise SW is the biggest slimming club in the UK even though WW are bigger globally.

They are very good at doing local leaflet drops in areas where they open up and advertising in local papers.

I find that the SW magazine sells out very fast...it is nearly like gold dust to get your hands on a copy of it sometimes.

It is the consultant who does the leaflet drops. SW does not pay someone to do them - it is part of the consultant's job (and the consultant's family, friends and anyone else they can coerce into doing it!). It is the most tedious of tasks. And the consultant has to pay for the leaflets.

Also, local publicity - newspaper ads, posters, etc., are also organised and paid for by the consultant.

Most consultants I have met have said that most of their new members come to them on a personal recommendation.

Simply put Slimming World doesn't need to advertise... 330000+ members in the UK alone speaks for that. It's all done by word of mouth, and leaflet drops, etc.

They would much rather invest in ensuring the plan has the most up to date/correct information then wanting to spend on TV/Radio adverts - plus the results speak for themselves when they do get newspaper/tv interview spots.

SW might not do any obvious advertising (like WW) but they still have a big marketing machine.

There is a press section on their website that anyone can enter to copy press releases which are picked up by magazines and newspapers. Success stories, SOTY award ceremonies etc.

Plus the SW magazine is a great marketing tool. Then they have word of mouth advertising though class members, NHS referrals and even Minimins!

The company I work for does not pay for advertising space either. Much better to have other people say you are great in free editorial than having to pay to blow your own trumpet.

Don't forget that Weight Watchers is more of a worldwide trademark than Slimming World is too. So weight watchers have more money I would say to invest into advertising. I doubt SW need to do much to advertise themselves in the UK.

However there are so many things that Slimming World could improve on to promote themselves worldwide, it does make me wonder what exactly their marketing team does, which is a shame, as Slimming World is such a fab healthy eating plan.

in slimming world we use ordinary foods weight watchers use their brand doesn,t heinz make these so maybe thay are attached

It is the consultant who does the leaflet drops. SW does not pay someone to do them - it is part of the consultant's job (and the consultant's family, friends and anyone else they can coerce into doing it!). It is the most tedious of tasks. And the consultant has to pay for the leaflets.

Also, local publicity - newspaper ads, posters, etc., are also organised and paid for by the consultant.

Most consultants I have met have said that most of their new members come to them on a personal recommendation.

They do a very good job of it as well but indirectly it is still Slimming World that is being advertised.

I went to the Vitality Show in Eatls Court London last week. It was absolutely heaving with woman (and a few men!) Weight Watchers had a huge stand and were selling goodie bags for £2.00 , brimming with things. Rosemary Conley also featured with a huge stand and Rosemary Conley herself! Not a sign of Slimming World, I felt like standing on a soap box and educating people to the great plan. It would have been lovely to see them there.

Urmm that is a shame but perhaps they see it as unnessercary as well i went to slimming world as my friend was psoting pictures of the type of food she was eating and after a month of grapefruit, salad and eggs it was like ohhhhhhh whats that :D LOL.

They do a very good job of it as well but indirectly it is still Slimming World that is being advertised.

Yes, indeed - the point I was trying to make, possibly not that clearly, was that the leaflet/poster type of advertising doesn't cost SW anything. Every leaflet, poster, publicity signage, display advert, local newspaper advert, is all paid for by the consultant.

I remember the tv advert. It was at a check out, and everything being put through came in at FREE lol.

Back