Spinach

Yes it is.

Brilliant - I don't eat enough super free so I'm glad I bought a bag of frozen spinach from Tesco :) It's easy to hide in pasta sauces!

Brilliant - I don't eat enough super free so I'm glad I bought a bag of frozen spinach from Tesco :) It's easy to hide in pasta sauces!

You can hide wilted spinach in omlettes quite nicely, in pasta sauce or great in curry!

Or I make those cheese muffin things (might not even be called that), it's smash & add cottage cheese & make into a round & put a piece of frozen spinach in the middle & bake, very nice.

Do you have a recipe please? I really fancy veggie burgers sometimes and they never work :( this sounds like a nice alternative!

Here you go;)

Cheese Scones – free on green day

300g chive and onion cottage cheese
Salt and pepper to season.
2 eggs.
100g instant mash (dried powder form)
Frylight.

Whizz the cottage cheese with a hand blender, season and whizz in the 2 eggs.
Stir in the instant mash powder to make a dough like consistency.
Separate into balls and flatten.
Put in an oven tray and frylight for 20 mins.

Here you go;)

Cheese Scones – free on green day

300g chive and onion cottage cheese
Salt and pepper to season.
2 eggs.
100g instant mash (dried powder form)
Frylight.

Whizz the cottage cheese with a hand blender, season and whizz in the 2 eggs.
Stir in the instant mash powder to make a dough like consistency.
Separate into balls and flatten.
Put in an oven tray and frylight for 20 mins.

Just to make sure people are aware that if you want to follow SW advice then these are not syn free as the smash would be synned at the red day rate - 4.5 syns per 25g smash so 18 syns in total

What people choose to do is entirely up to them but that is the SW recommendation xx

Thank you both! I wasn't aware of the need to syn the smash at the red day rate, but I guess it is related to the use of smash as flour-ish substitute, like the couscous cake from years ago. Thanks for the warning

Just remember with frozen spinach that there is loads of water in it.I defrost and squeeze like hell! I use it mostly in a dhal.

Those big bags of fresh spinach are really good done in the microwave - prick the bag and zap for 3-4 mins, that's it. Not very watery this way either. Great accompaniment to fish or chicken!

Back