Sugar tax - would it bother you?

curvesncurls

So in good oul rip off republic of Ireland, they're proposing putting a tax on sugar products to combat obesity. Apparently France has done similarly and are currently embroiled in a battle with Coca-Cola.
Hasn't really worked for cigarettes - so would paying a sugar tax put you off your sugar fix? Or is it just another ruse to raise money?

If they really want to help combat obesity I think it would make more sense to lower the price of fruit & veg as it costs a fortune to keep my fruit bowl topped up yet unhealthy things like sweets, crisps & biscuits etc constantly are on special offer..especially the large bags!!! I don't think a tax on sugar is addressing the probllem at all as it just yet another way to make money from tax payers

sweet pink said:
If they really want to help combat obesity I think it would make more sense to lower the price of fruit & veg as it costs a fortune to keep my fruit bowl topped up yet unhealthy things like sweets, crisps & biscuits etc constantly are on special offer..especially the large bags!!! I don't think a tax on sugar is addressing the probllem at all as it just yet another way to make money from tax payers

Spot on. Only friggin' governments think the answer to obesity is to increase the cos of bad things rather than lower the cost of good things. Honestly - they are all complete morons
Mad Mad Mad!!!

It doesn't bother me. However if they used the proceeds from the sugar tax to subsidise fruit and veg i'd think it were a much better idea...

xx

Nope wouldn't bother me, I don't have a sweet tooth!
How about banning processed foods, making all takeaway food to be cooked without fat, and making fruit and veg cheaper

It's a major one with me. I'm having visions of having to go down a dodgy alley somewhere to buy a few bags of illegal White powder. (or laundered sugar for the Irish)

Ah they'll do anything here to part us with yet more money. In all God's honesty, we can't afford the bills we have at the moment, and with new water charges being implemented in January, we're all going to be in dire straits. Adding another, needless tax onto an already over-taxed public, is just begging for disaster.

And I totally agree with the fruit and veg being very expensive! I have to refill my fruit bowl mid-week, and again on the weekend. It's costing a fortune, as the kids also bring fruit to school. Argh!

Ah they'll do anything here to part us with yet more money. In all God's honesty, we can't afford the bills we have at the moment, and with new water charges being implemented in January, we're all going to be in dire straits. Adding another, needless tax onto an already over-taxed public, is just begging for disaster.

And I totally agree with the fruit and veg being very expensive! I have to refill my fruit bowl mid-week, and again on the weekend. It's costing a fortune, as the kids also bring fruit to school. Argh!

I was shocked when I went to Dublin at how much the Tesco there charge you for their crappy bags!

I too agree that if they want to combat obesity they should lower cost of healthy food.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

It's a major one with me. I'm having visions of having to go down a dodgy alley somewhere to buy a few bags of illegal White powder. (or laundered sugar for the Irish)

I'm not far over the border in the north so I am just imagining the influx of southern cars comig up here to stock up on their sugar fixes!!! ;)

Double post

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

I was shocked when I went to Dublin at how much the Tesco there charge you for their crappy bags!

At least that helps the environment. I don't buy the supermarket bags, instead I buy a roll of "handy bags" in my shopping once every few weeks. It doubles as a shopping bag and rubbish bag :)

None of it will help reduce obesity etc but its an easy way to raise cash from taxes as people tend to argue less if they give a reason to tax something. Its like petrol-everyone still uses their cars and they keep putting taxes on petrol using the environment as an excuse.

Back