Superfree foods

Annie82

I've been looking through my SW book again for ideas.

On the list of superfree fuit, there are lots of fruit I have never heard of. Anyone tried Indian gooseberries, cashew fruit, custard apple, grenadilla, jambu fruit, jujube, kiwano, loquats, mammie apple, mangosteen, pomelo, prickly pears, rambutan, sapodilla, tamarillos or ugli fruit?

If you have tried any of these, what were they like?

I did try some star fruit (carambola). It looks very nice when sliced, but has no flavour.

Annie

Nope, none of the above!!

I tend to buy the "normal" stuff like bananas, apples, pears and grapes, and strawbs and rasps when they are British!
I've been having physalis recently as they were 50% extra free in Tesco at only 50p a bag but I tend not to buy the exotic fruits really.

Hi,
I have tried pomelo - it was lovely!!
Mind you, took me about 1/2 an hour to eat as you need to get all of the skin and pith of it.
It is like a large grapefruit (more of a green colour on the outside) and much milder in taste. I would definitely have it again!!!

i've had a custard apple and it tastes like a creamier apple really. not overly my thing.

Had a custard apple before but straight from the tree in cairns australia, trouble is if you can get hold of them here they never taste as good.

These have a pear like texture and from the outside look like a mouldy bramley apple, once inside you can pull them apart like an orange and eat that way.

An ugli fruit is a cross between an orange and a grapefruit I think.

Naw, I've never tried anything that fancy! I always thought the SW book was dressed up a bit to make newbies go "omg I can eat EVERYTHING!" then you read it and realise you'll eat 4 or 5 different things from the list of 100000's....

Custard apples sound yummy but I bet they're nothing like I want them to be!

Does anyone know if lychees are free? I've never checked and am curious now.

Thank you avisk! I love lychee rubicon with vodka, shame that's not free too eh :)

I've been looking through my SW book again for ideas.

On the list of superfree fuit, there are lots of fruit I have never heard of. Anyone tried Indian gooseberries, cashew fruit, custard apple, grenadilla, jambu fruit, jujube, kiwano, loquats, mammie apple, mangosteen, pomelo, prickly pears, rambutan, sapodilla, tamarillos or ugli fruit?

If you have tried any of these, what were they like?

I did try some star fruit (carambola). It looks very nice when sliced, but has no flavour.

Annie

Agree with you about the star fruit. Pretty but tasteless.

Not sure I would want an Indian gooseberry:
"The taste of Indian gooseberry is sour, bitter and astringent, and is quite fibrous. In India, it is common to eat gooseberries steeped in salt water and turmeric to make the sour fruits palatable".

The cashew fruit comes from the same tree as the cashew nut.

I have tried mangosteen, rambutan, pomelo, tamarillo, and ugli fruit and liked them all. Unfortunately pomelo and ugli fruit are related to grapefruit so I can't have those any more.

A kiwano is also called a horned melon, and I have had one of those, but was disappointed as it did not seem to have much of a taste.

If you want to see pictures of all these fruit, then have a look at Wikipedia:
Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
and put the name in the search box. There are very good descriptions and in most cases photographs so you can have a look for them in shops.

I think that SW lists them for three reasons:
(a) so that if we come across them in the supermarket and are interested we can check if they are free;
(b) to make us curious and try something new;
(c) because SW caters for people from all ethnic and national groups - some of these fruit will be quite well known to people originating from India, for example.

Although these unusual fruits can be expensive in the supermarket (although there are often special offers), if you have an area in your town where there are Indian or West Indian greengrocers they are often much cheaper there. And you can ask for advice on how to use them.

Thank you avisk! I love lychee rubicon with vodka, shame that's not free too eh :)

Oooh! What's lychee rubicon? Sounds wicked!

There is a wine which is called Gewurtztraminer, which has a bit of a lychee taste to it. It is made now in other countries, such as Australia, but the best ones (and sorry, no, it is not cheap!) are from Alsace in France. I discovered it when I worked in Strasbourg. It is quite different from other wines - rather a "love it or hate it" thing really. It used to be rather hard to get over here (I remember staggering back from Strasbourg with as many bottles as I could carry!) but good supermarkets stock it now. Good makes are Hugel and Trimbach.

Sorry - waaaaaaay off topic now!!

Back