Syns - how to calculate?

Mulan

Hello, I'm new to slimming world and I have no idea how to calculate suns and no syn foods, could anyone enlighten me?

Many thanks.

If it's a food that has no free food component (e.g. crisps, chocolate, biscuits, non-diet fizzy drinks, etc) then it's roughly 1 syn for every 20 calories. There are a few exceptions but this works about 95% of the time in my experience, and it should never be higher than that so you're pretty safe to use that method. Round to the nearest half syn, or 10 calories. So as an example, a 94 calorie chocolate bar would be 4.5 syns where a 97 calorie one is 5 syns.

It gets more complicated for anything that has some free and some synned foods (e.g. some flavoured yoghurts, restaurant/ready meals, sausages and other processed meats, fish/meat/veg in sauces, some tinned goods, etc). Have you joined a group/online, or at least have a set of books? If you're a member you get full access to the syns database on the website but the books will have syn values of common items in the back. Recommend joining a group if you can, if only to get the new member talk and current books. There was a free join voucher in Bella magazine last week, may still be on some shelves - pretty sure I saw a copy when I was shopping in M&S today.

Last edited:
Hi swlaurenb,

Thank you for the advice, that makes it a bit clearer for me :)

I joined a club last night, I've just got to learn differing food combinations and recipes without going over and using too many syns :)

Hi welcome along to minimins.

Top tips are read your SW plan from back to front and keep a food diary right from the very beginning as this is what will get you through this and help get the SW plan in your head. You will soon understand what is free and what needs to be synned. Knowing in advance what you are going to eat takes all the guess work out of everything. If things go slightly awry, then you have the food diary to look back on to see where adjustments could be made and if you ask for advice through this platform, it's the first thing we will ask to see.

Following someone else's food diary on here or looking at the threads what's for breakfast, lunch, tea etc or the many, many recipes will certainly help you to understand how to plan your meals, to avoid the repetition in your diet and expand the variety of things you can find to eat. Budget shopping at Aldi or Lidl and/or buying frozen fruit and veg and cooking in bulk and freezing will also keep the costs down.

There are also a number of weighing groups which are either by weigh day and I think there is one for people who follow SW at home, which is good way to share your experiences, spur others along, to feel part of a group and get to know some of the others.

Finally, I would say trust in the plan it does work, enjoy your free food and eat your syns and don’t cut back as it doesn’t work that way!! They can be treats like chocolate or booze or extras in your meal such as cheese or sauces. I’m sorry that I’ve rambled on but I hope that will give you somewhere to start and good luck with everything :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I did slimming world a few years ago and lost 4 and half stone needless to say that's all come back on. I've received had a baby and reallt want to get back on plan. I can't afford to rejoin and tbh I never attended group before.

It would be really helpful if anyone could help with some syn values.
I have a directory but it is from 2014. I don't have a particular varied taste in food so it's really important for me to know what I can have.

These are some of the foods I like to eat

Mug shots - creamy cheese
Pasta n sauce - chicken and mushroom
- cheese and broccoli
Herta Frankfurters
Ryvitta -wholegrain crackerbread
Ryvitta - original crispbread
Warburton thins
Quavers
Sunbites sour cream and black pepper (walkers)
Uncle bens long grain rice
Uncle bens egg fried rice
Asda extra special pork sausages (gluten free)
Quaker oats oat so simple original 27g
Alpen lights
Hartleys 10cal jelly

I know muller lights are free or most of them anyway but does anyone know if the aldi version are. Brooklea fat free (vanilla toffee or banana and custard)

Thank you so much for reading and for any help

Xxx

I have a problem with a food that I can't syn properly because there's a free food included. It's a packet of Korean Noodles and I don't have access to the calculator - can anyone help?

This is the nutritional info and the free food would be noodles (wheat):

Average nutritional value per 70g
Energy 1202kJ / 288cal
Fat 11g
Saturated fatty acids 5g
Trans Fat No
Carbohydrates 42g
Sugar 4g
protein 6g
sodium 0.6g
Salt No

Any help would be much appreciated!

Hi everyone,

I did slimming world a few years ago and lost 4 and half stone needless to say that's all come back on. I've received had a baby and reallt want to get back on plan. I can't afford to rejoin and tbh I never attended group before.

It would be really helpful if anyone could help with some syn values.
I have a directory but it is from 2014. I don't have a particular varied taste in food so it's really important for me to know what I can have.

These are some of the foods I like to eat

Mug shots - creamy cheese - 1 syn
Pasta n sauce - chicken and mushroom - Free
- cheese and broccoli - 1/2 syn
Herta Frankfurters - which ones? The classic are 3 1/2 syns
Ryvitta -wholegrain crackerbread - 1 syn
Ryvitta - original crispbread - 6 syns for 4 or HEB
Warburton thins - Which? Most are 5 syns, the wholemeal protein ones are a HEB
Quavers - 16 g bag is 4 1/2 syns
Sunbites sour cream and black pepper (walkers) - Are these crackers? If so 24g bag is 5 1/2 syns
Uncle bens long grain rice - Pouch is 1 syn, boil it yourself is free
Uncle bens egg fried rice - 4 syns
Asda extra special pork sausages (gluten free) - the reduced fat ones? 2 syns
Quaker oats oat so simple original 27g 4 1/2 syns
Alpen lights - most are 3 syns or 2 for HEB
Hartleys 10cal jelly 1/2 syn

I know muller lights are free or most of them anyway but does anyone know if the aldi version are. Brooklea fat free (vanilla 1/2 syn toffee 1 syn or banana and custard 1 1/2 syns)

Thank you so much for reading and for any help

Xxx

I have a problem with a food that I can't syn properly because there's a free food included. It's a packet of Korean Noodles and I don't have access to the calculator - can anyone help?

This is the nutritional info and the free food would be noodles (wheat):

Average nutritional value per 70g
Energy 1202kJ / 288cal
Fat 11g
Saturated fatty acids 5g
Trans Fat No
Carbohydrates 42g
Sugar 4g
protein 6g
sodium 0.6g
Salt No

Any help would be much appreciated!
It's coming out as 10 syns on the calculator - think I've done it right, I don't use it very often!

Hi welcome along to minimins.

Top tips are read your SW plan from back to front and keep a food diary right from the very beginning as this is what will get you through this and help get the SW plan in your head. You will soon understand what is free and what needs to be synned. Knowing in advance what you are going to eat takes all the guess work out of everything. If things go slightly awry, then you have the food diary to look back on to see where adjustments could be made and if you ask for advice through this platform, it's the first thing we will ask to see.

Following someone else's food diary on here or looking at the threads what's for breakfast, lunch, tea etc or the many, many recipes will certainly help you to understand how to plan your meals, to avoid the repetition in your diet and expand the variety of things you can find to eat. Budget shopping at Aldi or Lidl and/or buying frozen fruit and veg and cooking in bulk and freezing will also keep the costs down.

There are also a number of weighing groups which are either by weigh day and I think there is one for people who follow SW at home, which is good way to share your experiences, spur others along, to feel part of a group and get to know some of the others.

Finally, I would say trust in the plan it does work, enjoy your free food and eat your syns and don’t cut back as it doesn’t work that way!! They can be treats like chocolate or booze or extras in your meal such as cheese or sauces. I’m sorry that I’ve rambled on but I hope that will give you somewhere to start and good luck with everything :)
Thank you for allowing me to join this group. I joined sw at the end of July 2016 and have lost over a stone, I really would tell anyone how good a diet this is, and I intend to continue with it, until I feel I have lost the weight that seems right for me, I first weighed in at 11.4.5 and now weigh approx, 10 stone 2.5 depending on what time of day I weigh. I know that I can do this, my only problem is calculating syns, but have just read another post which has given good advice, thank you so much

Hi would anyone be able to help. I am looking for the syn value for Tesco chicken pakora http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=293944696

The whole pack is 15 syns, but there it is chicken so I was wondering if there is a free food allowance. Can anyone help with this please?
Here is the nutritional info:

Half of a pack (69g**) contains
Energy
636kJ (151kcal)
Fat 4.1g
Saturates 0.6g
Carbohydrate 10.5g
Sugars 0.6g
Fibre 1.5g
Protein 17.3g
Salt 1.0g

Back