The weighing scales at meetings

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by joe egg, 23 December 2009 Social URL.

1. joe egg

joe egg New Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hello all, I've been lurking for a month and thought I'd step out of the shadows to ask a question and boost the Y chromosome numbers.
    :wavey:
    How well are the SW scales calibrated? Now that I'm not having epic newbie weight losses I've realised that every half pound counts! I just wonder how accurate the scales are given they have been bouncing around in a car boot before being plonked on the carpet at our meeting! I don't think the consultant calibrates them before the meeting but could be mistaken.

The other reason I ask is that I won't always be able to get to my meeting but wonder about the reliability of occasionally going to another meeting and being at the mercy of different scales.

:thinking2:

I may be over-analysing because it is immaterial if scales are consistently inaccurate but I just wonder if this is lost when they're carted all over Kent!

Thanks!

Joe Egg

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. paperclip

paperclip Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st7lb(13.04%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World Extra Easy
    Sometimes differences can be experienced between different groups - but this shouldn't be a problem unless you're going to different groups all the time.

Otherwise, it's unlikely that the scales will change a lot week by week - they may not be 100% accurate in measuring your weight, but your change in weight should be spot on (and that's what really counts)!

Hope that helps a bit...

4. malaika

malaika Lover of Extra Easy

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    9st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st8lb(22.22%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I believe that the scales are very accurate and regularly calibrated.
    Weighing in at different classes should not be a problem, as I believe all SW scales are the same.

5. Brightonrosie

Brightonrosie I want to be fitter again

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(4.94%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I use the same make of scales to weigh babies. I have them in and out of my car all day. We have them calibrated yearly and they all weigh within 40gms of each other (less than 2 ounces difference) They need to be pretty accurate because we calculate drugs and feeds for sick babies based on their readings. Hope this helps xx

6. JoJosing

JoJosing Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st3lb
    Current Weight:
    9st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Lost(%):
    4st4lb(30.15%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world
    I understood from my consultant that the scales re calibrate every time they are turned on and off.

7. Brightonrosie

Brightonrosie I want to be fitter again

Start Weight:
    11st8lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8lb(4.94%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    In a way they do but as with any weights and measures equipment they have to be calibrated with an computerised pre determined weight as well. xx

8. BritMumInCanada

BritMumInCanada Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I had a problem before with scales, it wasnt slimming world though, it was weight watchers. I had been particularly good that week, really good infact and just knew I had lost weight. I noticed a few people getting on the scales in front of me, were all surprised to see that had sts or gained, their wasn't very many losses at all and I could hear everyone saying how good they had been. So when I stood on the scales and had gained 1/2lb I was gutted. I know it is only half a pound, but I had really stuck to plan that week and there was no explanation for it. I asked if I could be weighed on the other scales, because of the unexpected disapointment I had seen from other members, but they wouldn't let me be reweighed. I came out of there feeling really demotivated.

The meeting was packed and I just dont think they wanted it known that these scales might of been faulty as it would of been chaotic with only one set of scales working.

I ended up falling severely off track that night as I was so upset, but when I got weighed the next week I had lost 6lbs.

I am convinced to this day that those scales were faulty. I have no problem excepting when I have gained, but I just knew that week, that it couldnt be right.

But with all that in mind, I think it is very rare that this would happen. They are good quality scales the majority of the time.

You'd have to be extremely unlucky to get a dodgy set of scales everytime you get weighed.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.