Ties are dangerous! It's official!

KD

Gone fishing
How ridiculous!

I see that Bramhall High School in Stockport have banned ties.

full report here
School ban 'danger' ties - News - Manchester Evening News

A SCHOOL has banned school ties - because they are a safety risk to pupils.

Senior teachers at Bramhall High School in Stockport sent out letters ordering pupils to leave their ties at home and replace them with clip-on versions.

They argue knotted ties can pose a health and safety risk and told the 1,500 pupils to use the safer clip-on versions or face being sent home.

But a campaign group for real education and some parents slammed the move as `political correctness gone mad'.

Please tell me my diary is wrong, and it's actually April Fool's day. Please!

I know a child who was found hung by there tie from the top bunk of bunk beds, they are not sure if her tie got caught as she was mucking around on the top and could not free herself before passing out. They never did say if they found the cause. Though if it was deliberate it would have been tied round the bed, this was not the case and had hooked over.
I can understand where the school is coming from in a way as they are a danger if flapping around whilst using tools and machinery.

Well its a hard one but surely a clip on tie will be safer and it doesnt cost the earth and possible accidents are prevented.

Ties are insane!!

We are from the school in question, Bramhall High School, and we would like to say that our headmaster, Mr John Peckham is an ABSOLUTE FOOL!!! Ever since he has joined school as our headmaster, the general quality of education has been severly diminished. This man is more obsessed with uniform and appearence than he is with our futures! Health and safety my arse, all he wants is to loook good. Love us xxxxxx

You should complain to Ofsted about this, is your school due an inspection soon as you can have your say.
Shame your head doesnt care as much about the education side of schooling instead of how you look.

We are from the school in question, Bramhall High School, and we would like to say that our headmaster, Mr John Peckham is an ABSOLUTE FOOL!!! Ever since he has joined school as our headmaster, the general quality of education has been severly diminished. This man is more obsessed with uniform and appearence than he is with our futures! Health and safety my arse, all he wants is to loook good. Love us xxxxxx

He certainly is a controversial figure isn't he. Wasn't he the guy that decided on the unisex loos?

No not unisex loos, omg what is he on, weirdo.....If all this has been in the press why hasnt any inspection been done...?

I just want to post to speak in defence of the school here... I left Bramhall High in 2003 and it has always come under criticism...

First there were sniffer dogs brought in to find drugs, then the unisex loos and now the clip-on ties... these are all exaggerated by the press though.

The sniffer dogs were brought in because there was a suspicion of cannabis being dealt in the school - result - cannabis found, students expelled...

Unisex loos were to discourage students from smoking and spending too much time talking or whatever in the toilets... - result - smoking in the toilets was almost erradicated and although some people felt uneasy about using the toilets in a unisex format, people ended up just going to use them and leaving - which was the desired result (note: there were single sex toilets elsewhere in the building to use)

With the clip-on ties, ok it might seem a bit of a controversial move, and I don't know yet if I agree but I think that so far everything John Peckham has implemented has worked very well, and I have full confidence that he has good reason for adding this change in to the school policy.

He has said himself it's more about the appearance, and I think he's right... if it ensures everyone looks the same - then everyone is on an equal level and the teachers can get on with doing the job they are meant to be doing - teaching - instead of pulling kids up on their uniform constantly...

Though I don't agree with the ties thing, that's not to say I am judging the school or the Headmaster.

I say controversial ...not necessarily 'wrong'.

I don't know enough about the school and it's previous problems to make that sort of judgement:)

A Headmaster has a lot of responsibility and they can only do what they think is best in the circumstances. Good luck to him.

(I'm also a great believer in school uniform!)

Back