Tonight BBC1 8:pm 10 things about losing weight

KD

Gone fishing
10 Things You Need to Know About Losing Weight

Wednesday 27 May
8:00pm - 9:00pm
BBC1

You may think you know all you ever need to know about slimming. But no - medical journalist Michael Mosley looks at the latest scientific breakthroughs and comes up with the ten simplest ways of shedding pounds. No preview DVD was available, but we're told that cheese-making Blur bassist Alex James reports on a startling discovery about low-fat dairy products, while actress Debbie Chazen (The Smoking Room) keeps a food diary. We also learn why soup keeps you fuller for longer than solid foods - an intriguing theory put to the test using ultrasound scans of Territorial Army recruits.

Teehee. Sounds like my maintenance diary made for TV :D, though intrigued about the ultrasound thingy

I'm so excited about this :bliss: Sad I know. But they seem to be picking up on everything I've talked about over the last few months. The protein, the metabolism, misreporting, ghrelin. OMG. I swear they have been reading my diary!:eek::eek:

I'll go on about this for ages now :D :D

LOL Irene. Thankyou for that.

Seriously though, I am so excited. Just love all this sort of stuff, and just amazing that they are picking up all the things I've been working on :clap:

DH thinks I've gone bananas :eek:

Just seen it and it was very well put together and very informative
now off to find your diary to see what else I should know :):)

This was very interesting and one of the best 'dieting' type programmes I have seen for ages.

I thought of you KD when they mentioned ghrelin.

I found the low fat dairy experiment very interesting. I am a fan of lowcarb eating so dont see cheese as evil but I had no idea that calcium could bind to the fat that was already in your body.

Also thought it was interesting that the breakfast that had more protein but also had more carbs (toast and beans) was more filling than the bacon and eggs. I would have thought that the one with less carbs would be the most satisfying.

The soup theory also fascinsted me. I was always under the impression that your mouth was like a liquidiser and if you chew well the food and water would be all mixed up by the time it reached your stomach anyway.

Brilliant!

Jac

This was very interesting and one of the best 'dieting' type programmes I have seen for ages.

I thought of you KD when they mentioned ghrelin.

But they didn't mention almonds :cry:
I had no idea that calcium could bind to the fat that was already in your body.
I think they mentioned this in the "Truth about food" series, which was another fab programme (highly recommend the book BTW)

I don't think I've ever mentioned about the calcium thing in my diary, mainly because I can't get any absolute on this. Some research states that after a year there is no difference. Some state 'but not calcium supps'. Some state it only works if you are typically eating low calcium before the experiement. Some states that if you take calc supps, it will work but only if you take it with various other vits. And so on.

Still, certainly doesn't hurt as long as it's part of a calorie controlled way of eating.
Also thought it was interesting that the breakfast that had more protein but also had more carbs (toast and beans) was more filling than the bacon and eggs. I would have thought that the one with less carbs would be the most satisfying.
Yes, but even though the toast and beans (and egg, bacon etc) had more carbs than the other breakfast of eggs bacon etc, overall it was 10% higher protein ie the eggs and bacon meal without the toast was higher fat, so less protein.

The soup research was on the Truth about food prog (and in the book). That was the first time I'd heard about it. Fascinating stuff :clap:

Back