Two melons balancing on an egg, wedged between two chicken drumsticks..

Ugh just typed out a massive response to this and the site ate it. In brief:

Atkins never said you should lower calories while on induction? His advice would have been that you'd stall eating such low calories and the best loss is achieved eating at a good level (I think a minimum of around 1500 from women is mentioned but it varies depending on height). Your experience very much goes along with Atkins theory - that low carbs and reasonable (not excessive) calories are the key.

Lots and lots of people find they stall trying to do low calorie Atkins. I've been too ill to eat and managed to gain despite eating around 500cals per day, with it only coming off once I started eating normally. You need to eat enough so your body is confident of you not being about to starve any time soon and starts allowing you to burn fat stores.

You might have been thinking of the fat fast which is a very extreme diet intended for incredibly insulin resistant people and recommended for no more than 5 days. That cuts calories to 1000 a day but you have to eat nearly 100 percent calories from fat - ideally just macademia nuts and cream cheese.

Re: the LCM stuff - if it works for you and you keep losing, no worries. But if you do stall please make sure you cut the sweets rather than cals or fat. They're absolutely notorious for causing stalls . And there are so many yummy low carb sweets you can make from healthy non frankenfood ingredients!!

Re: salt - its 90 percent myth that we should cut down on salt. I'm chronically hypotensive (BP 80/40 on average so very low) so I've had a chance to speak to a few doctors about this. Salt intake is only an issue in patients who already have high blood pressure. The chances of salt intake being what actually pushes anyone over that threshold are practically nil. It's only because people who already have high bp are told to cut salt that cutting salt = good thing has got into our culture. Salt causes water retention and if you're retaining water it can raise your bp a little. But white processed carbs cause infinitely more water retention than salt can. On a ketogenic diet we actually need more salt than normal people because we don't have glycogen stores. I'm sure if you're eating lots of salty food you'll be fine but if you get headaches or leg cramps try adding some salty broth to your day.

Greece sounds lovely. I haven't been on holiday in what must be getting on for a decade now so very jealous. Are there any worries with the economy and traveling there? An sure they must be eager for tourists.

Hey Moonlights xx I used to get my posts cleared a lot when I first started using this forum, needing to constantly refresh to prevent being logged out is the only negative I would have on mims.

When I was talking about the low calories/low carb, I guess I was thinking of the research studies in the introduction and not the induction section of the Atkins book. But Ketwick and Pawan found success with 1000kcal, 90% fat or 90% protein diets, not with 20g carbs/1000kcal. I could have sworn I read somewhere Atkins saying that you don't need to reduce your calories, but if you do you will lose weight faster - I seem to have to put this together in my head after incorrectly summarising the research studies in the introduction, combined with Atkins statement 'adjust the quantity you eat to suit your appetite, especially as it decreases'...

I told you I have to learn things the hard way lol.

I am relieved about the salt, I've always used a lot in cooking (contrary to advice) with a bit of guilt. I will season away now with cheer! My only other experience was chomping that entire bag of salted peanuts that day and putting 2lbs on overnight, which is why I was a bit concerned about it. I suppose that was going overboard though.

I will cut out the sweets if I get any problems, I am being careful with them. I only used 50g no sugar dark chocolate to coat 14 macaroons. But I do agree with you, I need to increase my low carb sweet recipe collection and aim for homemade substitutes rather than 'frankenfood' (love that name btw lol)

Though I must admit the boiled sweets have been great to tackle my sour post-cheese eating breath lol.

Regarding Greece, I have to look into it more. My mum was saying last night that things will be cheaper there because of the economic issues, but then on the other hand crime will be on the increase as well as people are more desperate. I'm sure there's websites that cover this sort of thing.

There's so much in the world to see out there. I know hot countries aren't ideal for the body conscious, but think of all the other interesting places there are to visit. I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights for example..Moonlight you should definitely get out there, 10 years is too long xxx

So tonight, after saying the other week how easy it would be.. I have made sweet n sour prawns with egg fried cauli rice..

image-795487826.jpg

Mine came up with 5.5g carbs for the sauce divided into 2 portions (each), but in fairness the prawns were swimming, next time I'd split it into at least 3 maybe 4 portions.

Ingredients were:-
60ml malt vinegar
3 tbsps granulated Splenda (save 3g carbs per batch by grinding Splenda sweetening tablets)
2 tbsp one carb ketchup
2 tsp Worcester sauce
Half tsp lo salt
1 tsp xanthum gum
250ml water

I'm no chef, so the prep basically went like this..place all ingredients into suitable jug, whisk thoroughly, transfer to a pan and simmer down until sauce has thick, rich consistency (and the foaminess has gone).

I had some precooked king prawns from Tesco, so I just threw those in for another five minutes. It was served with 150g of cauli rice and 70g courgette, so the meal in total came to over 11g carbs for me..but with my tips above you could bring that right down without losing any quality.

Now I'm in the position of having way over borrowed on my carbs today, and having a real craving for something sweet...hmmm..

LadyB xx

Try eating something salty to counteract the sweet craving (pickles are good) or some sweet tea.

Prawns look great - I must try this sauce.

Thanks Moonlight, I think the flavour was pretty close to the real thing..but that might be the sugar starvation talking lol! Thinking of the conversation we had about it on your thread gave me massive cravings for deep fried battered chicken balls afterwards lol.

Mmm, pickles hey? I like beetroot, but gherkins I guess would be lower carb. I must get some of those, yum yum.

Oh! I forgot to mention, I also added 3/4 teaspoon of orange food colouring. I better add that to the post..

I decided to hell with it last night..I'm making low carb raspberry cheesecake bars! Did lots of spoon licking, then bunged it in the oven. Of course by the time we had baked and allowed it to cool, then factored in chill time it was far too late to eat the thing..which is just as well! And gave me something nice to look forward to tonight!

This evening was the lamb passanda recipe again, except this time with strictly no onions! But I did have cauli rice to soak up the sauce, it was lovely. I wish we could get the lamb as tender as they make when you buy the takeaway though!

And to top it off, a nice slice of yesterday's spoils:

image-1683650242.jpg

Lady B xx

Last edited:
Made brownies today! They are awesome!

image-2575952561.jpg

7.7g of carbs each (I really MUST invest in some carb free sweetener) but still a heck of a lot lower than the real thing. The taste is of rich/bitter chocolate and is cracking with a blob of clotted cream :)

Here is the link:
http://yourlighterside.com/candices-low-carb-almond-flour-brownies/

Sadly by the time I made them, I had already mauled half a Sainsburys No Added Sugar Chocolate Bar..so today the carbs have been higher than they have been in ages at 36g.

I had been feeling rather smooth and lovely after getting waxed from the top down earlier...(as I've been Hairy McClarey for a couple of weeks, it was great to feel like an woman again)

However, despite smooth appearances I am still covered in tiny residue bits of wax...as I discovered when using the loo earlier, having to peel my rump off the seat lol!

On Tuesday I'm taking advantage of a special offer and having a full body Swedish massage for £23. Bargain! And no need to be shy, as the girl has seen all my worst bits practically naked already today. I'm hoping it will help stimulate some cellulite breakdown and at the least anyway it will improve the circulation in my legs a touch. Can't wait!

LadyB xx

Starting to go off celeriac a bit..it is tasting more and more like celery :/ though last night the problem was that OH forgot to parboil the chips..they really need a long cooking time.

I was weighing out some chocolate chunks yesterday for work, and getting confusing messages..

I.e Brain: Chocolate my old friend, I love chocolate, I MUST eat some!

Body: ..that smell is sickening!

Old habits die hard eh?

Lady B xx

Hey Rani...oh that's funny, I can't seem to find it either! Just as well I printed it, though I didn't save the name of the creator so can't give any credit..but here it is:

1 1/2oz Ghee or unsalted butter
(6oz chopped onions) I omitted this 2nd time round to save the carbs!
1lb lean lamb (we used 600g which is perhaps why this meal made only 3 portions)
2 cloves garlic
1 inch fresh ginger grated
150ml natural yogurt
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 tsps coriander
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 large pinch cayenne
200ml water
150ml single cream
1oz ground almonds
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp garam masala
Toasted blanched almonds

Melt the butter in a large frying pan & cook the onions until beginning to brown.
Add the lamb and cook until browned.
Add the water, garlic, ginger and remaining spices (except garam masala) and bring to the boil.
Cover and simmer for 30 mins or until the meat is tender, then stir in the cream, ground almonds, salt and garam masala. Heat gently and serve garnished with the toasted almonds.

Obviously adjust the spices etc to taste. I like to add a good amount of caraway seed, yum! It's a very mild, sweet creamy curry - so if you're looking for something hot & spicy you'd need to adjust it quite a bit..anyway hope you enjoy!

B x

diembroadhurst said:
I haven't eaten chocolate in any form since Feb this year and even though I love the smell of it - i've really not missed it at all in my diet. It's a bit like fish and chips the smell is more alluring than the actual taste.

Not since February?? :O I ate a couple of chocolate truffles not that long ago, I'm such a naughty dieter (the truffles incidentally didn't smell disgusting, but were heavenly.. :-/ )

Speaking of, I'm feeling a bit ashamed today - I've eaten 30g of carbs (not so bad you may say, but wait...) 14g of that was chocolate brownie, and another 4.4g was this cream, jelly and summer fruit thing. Healthy day or what!

In addition, I have several off plan nights coming up..tomorrow, our first ever meal at a Michelin star restaurant (Paul Ainsworth No 6), this Saturday (girlie shopping day, with breakfast lunch, dinner & wine) and the 7th December where we'll have a 3 course meal for our staff Christmas party.

Even our actual Christmas break will be difficult, as we'll be going to be staying with friends in a sudden change of plan. I'm bringing all my low carb bits and pieces with me, but there's bound to be a night or two off then too. Really I should be extra strict to make up for all of this..

Anyway, no sense getting in knots about it now..I just need to keep my low carb desserts to one a day! and I'll be fine..

Weight is currently 13st, 6.2lbs. Jeans are really loose around the waist, but the size below is way too tight. This is due to me not switching up a size when I gained weight and me stretching the denim. I know in my heart I've lost a dress size though!

On a more personal note, I've been very..ahem...windy today.. and I am blaming the mammoth amount of not-quite-well-cooked celeriac eaten last night. Poor OH lol.

B xx

Morning - and thanks for all the lovely pics and recipes :)

Hope the windiness has receded :D

Lol, thank goodness it has! Although OH has been burping and parping away himself terribly lately, I think he deserved it!xx

I'm am three pounds up thanks to my two evenings off this week...*sniff* I really don't want to change my ticker though! What about if I just publicly declare on here that I am 13st, 9lbs and be done with it lol?

Perhaps because I'm sad I've had to gain a little to have some time off, I was eyeing Diem's VLCD losses enviously last night. But I have promised myself that the O.O.D box I have in the cupboard (leftover Exante packs) is a last resort, and not a redemption tool.. which if that path is followed could lead to some very unhealthy eating patterns.

I think overall yesterday was a success though..the original plan was to have the whole day off plan - but when it came to it, I resisted the cakes and elaborate dessert latte's and fried bread and sugared nuts (and various other things my friends were eating) over the entire 12 hour period - and the damage was limited to one large piece of baklava, and one fruity cocktail. I even ordered green beans instead of potato on the menu.

The baklava was nice, but not nearly as good as I remembered..which I'm glad of because I've been crazy obsessing about it for ages..so it was good to both scratch the itch and realise that I could do without it.

B x

Bear in mind that you gain if you have time off on a vlcd, too. I've done super clean induction for a couple of weeks and seen some really good losses, maybe try that? But my way is to have planned breaks of about 2 weeks 3 times per year - so I know I have the time off coming. It's actually getting hard to bring myself to step off plan, now. I haven't had a day/meal/bite off plan since the very beginning of September - scary to be planning time off now!

Good luck hon and feel better xx

Bear in mind that you gain if you have time off on a vlcd, too. I've done super clean induction for a couple of weeks and seen some really good losses, maybe try that? But my way is to have planned breaks of about 2 weeks 3 times per year - so I know I have the time off coming. It's actually getting hard to bring myself to step off plan, now. I haven't had a day/meal/bite off plan since the very beginning of September - scary to be planning time off now!

Good luck hon and feel better xx

I know what you mean ML, look how much water weight I put on after only a couple of sugary items, it's so depressing lol. The idea of of having several days away from the diet is terrifying. But thinking about it, the immediate punishment is probably good for me..as there's no mincing around the effects of the sugar and my personality loves to find grey areas in the rules and exploit them lol. But you have been so brilliantly well behaved (unlike me) and you have lost so much..but I know what you mean, it's hard to let go of that control.

I did see your posts about super clean inductions, and it has reminded me to watch how much processed meat I'm eating and cream. I like the variety of being able to include nuts and berries though. I'll see how much longer this water lingers on lol.

Actually I'm really fancying one of those brownies from last week now, I'll have to make some more.

OH and I are decorating the tree tonight! I can't wait to have the house looking all Christmassy again :D

LadyB xx

How does the tree look?

Oh LadyFel it looks great! All teal baubles, and vintage silver hearts and stars..I love it! I'd just like more decorations now around the house..aaah Christmas :)

B xx

Back