Warning - Postal Scam

Jim

Big Boy
I wasn't sure where to post this, I've checked it on snopes and it's rated TRUE. Mods, feel free to delete if you feel it's inappropriate.

Postal Scam:

Can you circulate this around especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize .

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655.

Wow!! Thanks for that Jim, sounds pretty nasty. This time of the year is when parcels are likely to arrive so people could easily get caught out on this one.

Thanks for that Jim. I'm always shopping at the moment (I have an excuse now with the weight loss..lol) and have cards dropped through my door regularly.

Thanks Jim, better to be safe than sorry :)

Jim, is this valid only to UK, right? I'm from another UE country and I didn't understand if this is happening only on UK or in another european countries as well.

Thanks in advance

As far as I know it's restricted to mainland UK Aline.

Hi - I've received this from a number of sources over the past couple of weeks so I checked it out myself and Snopes is actually rating it as 'Outdated' see link
snopes.com: Parcel Delivery Service Fraud
It's been running since 2006 and they ask that if you do receive a copy of the e-mail warning you don't forward it to others. They do say at the end of the blurb however that, despite it's age, it's a common type of scam so people are well advised to be aware of it :)

Back