Weight Watchers Advert

Haven't seen the new WW advert but i will certainly look out for it now!....x

Good idea ....

but as ITV aren't the only company running the ad, here's another suggestion - complain to the Advertising Standards Agency. Link below:

Complaints Step 1

I know the ad isn't overtly offensive but it's insiduous and works by subliminal suggestion ... it isn't inspiring IMO - it's co-ercing overweight women to join WW by making them question in their own minds what OTHER people are thinking about them - not how they feel themselves.

I've done it ....
here's a copy of my complaint.

I find this advertisment uncomfortable to watch because of the insiduous nature I believe it uses to co-erce overweight women to join Weight Watchers slimming classes. It features a woman, 'Angela' (who we never see) ... all we know about her is how much better she is since she lost weight. Her 'success' is gauged by the opinions of people around her and some of the comments I find are patronising, offensive and downright sexist.
Her beauty therapist claims that since she lost weight, waxing her legs takes 'Half the time'. How will this make overweight women feel about visiting their OWN beauty salon after hearing that?
Her male neighbour states that 'as a man', he notices these things' then aoplogises to his wife in the background (who is overeweight herself): she looks extremely uncomfortable by the statement despite laughing.
I find this nothing short of sexist and the most insiduous part of all ... it suggests to women that they are being 'watched' by men who 'notice' their bodies and how they change. If a comment HAD to come from a neighbour, why a male one?
All in all, the advertisment may *appear* to be inoffensive and innocent - but I feel it's subliminally exerting pressure on women (there are overweight men too - they don't feature at all) in a negative way by making them conscious of the opinions of others instead of wanting to lose weight for their own reasons.

May do no good at all .... but I feel better for having my say. Maybe a few more complaints will have a bigger impact (so get complaining!) :)

Well put!
Of course I hate the ad and TBH would put me off joining weightwatchers [trouble is I have been a gold member since 1991!!!!!!!]
It portrays WW as a diet stuck in the 70's - an old fashioned view of women in society - the obedient wife who duly loses weight to please her husband!
I hate it - in fact it makes me want to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe thats the ploy - "Pee the fatties off "- so they eat and get fatter and they will eventually have to sucumb and join to shut their controlling husbands up!

WELL DONE RUSSIANDOLL!

I WILL LAY MONEY ON THE FACT THAT YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST OR LAST TO COMPLAIN.

Who'd be a woman eh? I get so mad that fat men are considered just one of the 'gud 'ole boys' but women are subjected to riddicule and condemmed on every level , ie worrisome daughter, poor mother, unattractive less than 'even there' wife , and objectified by any old fat pervy neighbour, and gossiped about by her airhead Beautician grgggggh!"!!!

I know its not a laughing matter, but god how funny.. lol

Aaaaarg!!! I HATE it with a passion!! :mad:

Patronising, insulting, demeaning, SEXIST pile of sh*te!

Insulting beauty consultant: "Now she's lost the weight, it takes half the time" (would anyone overweight want to go for a leg wax after that comment?)

Patronising husband: "I've got the girl I married back" (Yeah? Shame she can't say the same about the balding guy pushing the swing)

Weird Neighbour: "As a man I notice these things - sorry dear!" (eeeuuuww - report this perv to the vice squad immediately!)

Get this tripe off our screens!

Here is my reply.

Thank you for your email. Your complaint has been added to the ITV Duty Log. You could also contact Advertising Standards on 0207 492 2222.
Regards
DUTY OFFICER.ae

I've done it ....
here's a copy of my complaint.

R-d Excellent complaint.
I'd love to send some invective too but it would be disingenuous as I've never acually seen the AD
I blame Mini's cos since I've joined I never turn the telly on,but get on the lap top 'to do some work';) .

If you were thinking of trying again may I suggest the you add the point that the tone of the 'comments' that the men made in reference to the woman's weightloss & the implied rise in her attractiveness,were made in the work place, they could be considered to amount to sexual harrassment.

(so get complaining!) :)

Here is my reply.

Thank you for your email. Your complaint has been added to the ITV Duty Log. You could also contact Advertising Standards on 0207 492 2222.
Regards
DUTY OFFICER.ae

So the personal touch then sally.
I can see them actively looking into your objection as I write.;)

Well put!
Of course I hate the ad and TBH would put me off joining weightwatchers [trouble is I have been a gold member since 1991!!!!!!!]

What does that mean?
They weigh you on gold scales?
It portrays WW as a diet stuck in the 70's - an old fashioned view of women in society - the obedient wife who duly loses weight to please her husband!
I hate it - in fact it makes me want to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe thats the ploy - "Pee the fatties off "- so they eat and get fatter and they will eventually have to sucumb and join to shut their controlling husbands up!

Totally agree.
Much as I loathe(ed) being fat, & find mself having uncharitable thought towards some of my more elephantine sisters when I pass them on the streets,I loathe even more the prehistoric attitudes implied in this AD.

Now WW isn't new to this advertising malarky,so it begs the question WHY did they go for this approach.
You can bet your bottom dollar,or even just your bottom ,that it wasn't out of naivity or incompetence.

Like the old cynic Nadhak above suggests, WW have obviously decided that underneath our emancipated but voluminous exteriors lie frustrated little stepford wife wannabe's.
& that is even scarier than the ad or obesity!:eek:

So the personal touch then sally.
I can see them actively looking into your objection as I write.;)
Ha ha as ever of course something may happen if everyone complained. ah well such is life blessed to be a moaner must be my age:giveup:

Maybe 'Angela' had her mouth sewn up and now can't talk ... or she's locked up so she can't eat ....
WW should say ... Angela changed her life on our diet. Now she can't talk or think for herself BUT it takes half the time to wax her legs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Girls

Don't think you'll have any luck getting the advert pulled. There was a similar thread to this back in January when the ad first came out. Many of us made complaints and look they have brought the ad. back again with no amendments even.

I'm afraid we will probably have to suffer it for longer. I am just so embarassed for the poor women I didn't realise it was a real story until now.

Dizzy x

Back