Weight watchers for kids

Yeah sometimes it is probably better to give the kid a lunch packet. But unfortunately he doesn't want to take it all the time as his friends are also eating the food from the cafeteria. So he is wondering why I want him to eat the food from home. Or maybe I just haven't found any good recipes for kids yet :) Any advise?

Im beginning to think my niece is an odd child ;) She insists on packed lunches, when she did go for school dinners she had a sandwich, apple, fruit juice & yoghurt! She was most put out the other week when my mum only gave her 2 brussel sprouts & a few bits of broccoli & ended up polishing off most of her daddy's vegetables lol

When my sons were at primary school, there wasn't an option to have school meals. In Bournemouth no state primary schools did school meals. It's slowly being introduced into some schools now, but the problems were similar. Some had a load of rubbish in their lunchboxes:rolleyes:

When they went to senior school, they were both excited about the prospect of having school lunches like their friends were going to.

We met each other half way on this. Well....maybe I met them a little way :D

They continued to have packed lunches, but could have a school meal on Fridays. Yes, they moaned a little, but they both know that once I decide something, there is little they can do about it and it's not really worth trying to persuade me otherwise. They understood my reasons and knew that I went to the trouble of trying to make their lunchboxes interesting.

Nevertheless, I think it might have been difficult if they didn't have some knowledge of why I was doing it, along with some home training;) I never told them I was doing it to control their weight, only so that they would have lots of energy and it would help them avoid sickness now and in the future.

Eldest son has left school now, youngest is in Yr 11. He still takes a packed lunch Monday to Thursday and most of his friends do similar now. Sometimes he'll do himself a packed lunch on Friday if he feels so inclined as he finds it more convenient rather that queuing for a meal.

If you googled kids lunchboxes, there's loads of ideas around. Just a case of sticking to what you think is best for their health and not letting them persuade you otherwise.

Well I think I definitely have to change something. But I don't really know how. Do you think I should talk to him? But is this really worth? I mean I would prefer the junk food as well if I had the choice. I think kids-specially boys-don't have such a relation to their weight like adults.Do you think something like 3 lunch packages and 2 times free choice at the cafeteria would work?

I mean I would prefer the junk food as well if I had the choice.

Well yeah :D but that's not the point. We know the facts, they don't. We can see the long term implications, they can't.
I think kids-specially boys-don't have such a relation to their weight like adults.

Agreed. That's one of the reasons why I've always promoted the health side with my lads. I'm not a great one for official talks around the table about this sort of thing. I prefer to add snippets as we go along.

for example, when they were younger I might ask them why I've put broccoli on their plate. It's just a passing comment, not to get them to eat it, but just a mention that they have broccoli to help prevent them getting cancer later on....etc etc. We even have a joke about eating certain things to help them poo easily:D

I don't remember ever mentioning that they should have this or that to keep their weight in check. I think I just felt that the weight thing would deal with itself if I could make sure that they had a healthy relationship with food in the first place. After all, though you can get overweight on healthy food, you can also eat badly and stay slim. It was more important to me that they enjoyed good food, had energy and were eating foods that prevented future problems.

It's an ongoing education for them. When we shopped, they chose the fruit and veg for the week. They helped prepare it. I talked it through with them. How good their choices were because it would make them feel good in the long term.

That doesn't mean that we always ate healthy food. They get sweets sometimes and puddings, but they know that it's not something that they would want to do regularly because it serves little purpose. Not a treat as such, but just something that we have every now and again. No big deal. I've even made a laugh of it. "Right boys, and what is this doing for you.....sweet fanny adams....:D :D"

They are both very healthy. rarely get colds etc. I do think we are lucky though, but always take the opportunity to tell them that it's because they eat well :D

When DS1 entered his teens, there was a spell when all his friends started to the McDonalds visits way too often. I do remember turning a blind eye sometimes, but did tell them about how good the McDonalds advertising is to attract kids. My main answer to "why can't I?" is nearly always "because I love you". Can't argue with that :D

Do you think something like 3 lunch packages and 2 times free choice at the cafeteria would work?

It's a good start. Don't bow down though. Stick to it. Let him know it's because you love him and you can't bear to see something so precious get harmed.

BTW, my kids were never fond of sandwiches, so rarely had them. I did try to put lots of little things in their lunch boxes. It takes a bit of organising at the beginning, but you soon get into a routine.

that was really interesting thank you xx

You're welcome.

I'm sorry though. It did sound a bit sanctimonious:eek: Didn't mean it that way...was in a dreadful hurry and just wanted to share what worked for me.

Back