what to buy for new arrivals

ilovelife

Wishing and hoping!
Hi,

just seeking some advice as I am not to sure what kind of things I need to buy for when my baby arrivals (I know it is early, but I have an egear personality).

To give you an idea, off the top of my head, I would say you need to either get or at least consider:

Car seat
Pushchair
We've been lent a crib, cradle and moses basket so just bought new mattresses for them
Been lent a steriliser, so bought some bottles for it. Currently investigating breast pumps but will probably wait until once the baby arrives, however planning on an electric breast pump.
Baby bath
2 changing mats, one for downstairs, one for upstairs, plus some free travel changing mats from the sainsburys mother and baby pack, and the free boots changing bag
Couple of baby bath towels
Monitor with sensor pad
Room thermometers (get one free when you join Hipp baby club)
Plus of course baby clothes which I have no real idea how many you need but we have stacks lent or given to us!

We've also opted for
Isofix base for the car seat - makes life much easier and personally I think they're safer
Baby carrier (gone for an ergo sport one plus infant insert)
Reusable nappies (terries and shaped ones) - no chemicals, less waste, less cost. Got £50 incentive from the local council to try them so worth a go.
Reusable wipes - well if you've got the nappies, may as well use the wipes too!
Been lent an electric mobile to hang over the crib, according to my brother it's a lifesaver!
A chair bouncer thingy (picked one up second hand as it won't last past 6 months or when they work out how to roll over and flip it!).

You're welcome. If it's of any use, I also set up a wishlist on Amazon where you can add items from Amazon (finding lots of stuff there that's often cheaper than everywhere else I've looked!) and also from other sites with their universal wish list, so it's handy to just add other things you may consider, and then when you're closer to your due date I'm sure some people/relatives would like to look on the list for gift ideas :)

Oh one thing I forgot, probably more optional, is a top and tail bowl. We got ours with the bath set we got, and will probably use it more when changing or possibly at the very start when the baby is diddy!

hyer just wanted to say dont buy to much!! you will be suprised at the genoristy of other people! I wouldnt bother with two changing mats, we just used the one up stairs or the freebie in the boots changing bag. Again baby towels were a waste of time, they soon get to big for them so you could just use a handtowel.
We got a moses basket and she hated it, she ended up sleeping in the car seat/pram then at 4 months she went in the cot. I bought far to many clothes and I mean far to many, we have bags and bags of unworn stuff!! I got to many vests and sleepsuits.

We got a babyswing which she never used becuase she had colic..

We got to many blankets etc, our house is a newbuild and it was far to hot for the many blankets I bought, we also got a snowsuit..this was maybe worn once or twice as although she was a oct/nov baby (27th oct) she was to hot in it and sweated terribly!.

I hope I havent come across patronising and know it all mum, just want to save you some money and space!!

Emx x

pps top and tail bowl..i just used a normal bowl lol. I actually got two top and tail bowls as presents but they are a pain to clean...if you just use a normal bowl you can just put it in the dishwasher etc. Or even use a icecream tub. I think i used this for maybe a month if that before it became babywipes all the way! Also i only used the baby bath a hand full of times to, it was easier in the sink and eventually the big bath with daddy. xx

Sorry, my list was just what we've got. I didn't mean get 2 changing mats, we just got a good deal and it's for convenience (as the freebie ones will be kept in emergency/travel places, or we may take one to keep at my parents if we find we don't make use of it).

But Emma's right. You will find people you don't even know who are friends of friends coming out the woodwork offering stuff! If you were nearer to me I could offer you plenty of baby clothes as I'm still get offered more bags of clothes! Most of what we've got was lent to us from my brother so it's a case of use it and see, but at least we've not wasted money on things. I've read mixed reviews on moses baskets and baby baths etc. some babies love them, some babies hate them, so it's hard to plan for until you've got your own baby in front of you. If you can grab this sort of stuff second hand then at least it's a smaller outlay if you find you don't use it often :)

Back