What to do with radishes?

Sally_Cinnamon

doesn't have a witty name
So, a couple of hours ago there's a knock on my front door and it's my lovely friend Shannon from my Monday night knitting group (yes, I really am THAT nerdy). Anyway, she's clutching an enormous brown bag. She's majoring in Sustainable Agriculture at the same university as meand is interning this summer at the university farm and organic garden. This is what was inside the bag...

DSCF8996-2.jpg

Fresh from the ground, picked this morning, organic vegetables--red lettuce, spring onions, garden peas, and radishes.

Now, the lettuce is a no-brainer, there will be some scrumptious salads made from that this week. I'm going to make a huge batch of champ tomorrow with some of the spring onions and freeze it in portions, and I think Susan has plans to make us a stir fry for dinner tonight with some more of the onions and the garden peas (plus a few veggies that we have in the fridge already).

But what to do with the radishes? I'm not ordinarily a fan of them--I have distinct memories of burning my mouth on radishes as a child and have avoided them since. But these look so fresh and smell so good that it seems a shame to let them go to waste. Can they be cooked, do you think? Do any of you know what to do with them? Your radish help would be very much appreciated!

Radishes are really not as hot as they used to be not sure about yours but I remember as a child them being really hot now they are very mild even my 5 year old munches on them and she doesnt like onions or anything else thats hot or peppery. Maybe you should just try a bit and see how strong they are they are lovely sliced up and thrown on a salad

or there is a radish soup you could adapt just leave ou the butter
http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1848,150164-251201,00.html

I just eat mine with extra light cream cheese and ham slices. It could be nice with a dip too. Not sure if they can be cooked.

Back