wow

carrieclaus

Gold Member
fat-v-muscle.jpg

how amazing is that?? xx

Yuck!

Wow!

its for those folks that are doing lots of excersise on a vlcd and get disheartened when they dont see the scales go down... thats why body fat percentage and measurements can be sooo helpful. its just that some of us ( me in particular) get so focused on a number on the scales rather than how we look/feel... xx

i'll have the muscle please.

The muscle certainly looks like the better option xx

Why do I wanna fry the muscle and eat it...? It looks like a juicy steak to me!!

Desperate times :rolleyes:
You have seeeeeerious issues!!! :eek:

/I'll take it medium-to-well please... ;)

xx

Thanks for that Carrie :)
I've been doing heavy exercise for a number of weeks, yet the scale just doesn't budge! I really should start taking measurements of myself, as the only thing I have to go by - is that my coat feels a little looser and I can fit a jumper under it now! Oh well, it's the little things... :eek:

I was reading somewhere though, that doing Cardio exercises for long periods of time can be damaging too - our body may start to consume our muscles for energy. The way the fitness websites said to combat this is to keep the exercise 'challenging' and trying to do high intensity interval training.

But then again, doing some exercise while on a VLCD is better than none. Not so much for the calories burned, but more because there is so much muscle deterioration on the plan. The main thing is, not to overdo it! :rolleyes:

Actually... Unless I'm mistaken, the plan is balanced in such a way that it is pure fat burning... No muscle deterioration at all... :)

Xx

It's not so much about the nutrient balance as a calorie deficit... Of course, I'm not a doctor or a scientist... I'm just relating what I've experienced through looking at my own body and how it has reacted. When I was very overweight I was actually surprisingly strong (understandable with the amount of weight I had to carry all the time) and when I finished LL I could hardly lift a heavy book and didn't have enough strength for anything strenuous. My muscles ached for no apparent reason and their mass did decline somewhat.
But, it's nothing that can't be fixed with some toning and strength based exercise after LL, so it's not too much of an issue. :) My muscles have since recovered and I do feel strong again!

The LL plan puts you in ketosis...and ketosis is what makes LL safe as it protects your lean tissue. That's why it's important to be in ketosis on such a low cal diet...

No muscle, or lean tissue is lost... It's a fact of ketosis... However, I accept you felt weaker etc, but maybe that was from general lack of energy from being on so few cals... You know your own body so I wouldn't even try and presume... ;) just wondering as, despite being in ketosis which gives some people real energy, I'm often drained! So thought maybe you are similar...

Either way, glad you feel stronger again... That's the main thing... :)

Xx

Xx

When I was over 20stone I was very strong. I could move washing machines, sofas etc. Nowadays I'm a wimp. At first I couldn't work out why I couldn't do anything physical.

Taken from: http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v9/n11s/full/oby2001134a.html

...weight loss is dependent on the energy deficit compensated by the release of fatty acids as energy substrate from the fat stores. Under those conditions the amount of lean body-mass loss is a fixed level of
glyph.gif
25% of the total-body weight loss
. This lean mass is directly related to the adipose tissue such as supporting connective tissue and muscle. An important point of discussion in the past was the question of whether VLCD causes excessive loss of lean tissue because of the very energy-restricted protocol. From this it has been assumed that there is a greater health risk in slimming in the overweight (body mass index [BMI], 25 to 30 kg/m2) than in the obese (BMI, >30 kg/m2).
There will be SOME lean tissue consumed, some studies show a 25%:75% (Muscle : Fat) in the weight loss ratio. The ratio I believe will be higher in those will less fat on their bodies (i.e. around BMI 25). When most fat stores are consumed, the energy will have to be taken from elsewhere. Ketosis or not, we do need to take energy from somewhere! :) This is not the only study which shows support for the lean mucle tissue being consumed on a VLCD. However, the same study quoted above also mentions that:

A number of studies have addressed the question of whether the combination of a VLCD with an exercise program has a protective effect on the loss of LBM. The exercise triggers conservation of muscle. Meta-analysis evaluating this issue showed that there was a conservation of the LBM, although the effect is relatively small.
So some exercise may save the loss a little, so it's important to remain active whilst dieting.

:)

Back