Achieving What Seems Like The Unachievable - My Diary

I know you aren't too pleased you ended up using your syns, but they are there to be used so its not all bad )

I think you are right about this believer - I think any syns I save are a bonus but on the whole they are there to be eaten. Not sure how the weekend will go but knowing I dont have a pile of syns banked might be a help in minimising any damage! I had 7.5 today so that will be a wee help x

Late to bed tonight, we were at the Cinema watching the new X men film. Was really good. ...I know what your thinking CINEMA = FOOD....more on that later.

So last night after I updated my diary I went online to look for the best deal for a fitbit. I've heard a few people mention them and thought that it might be a good way to challenge and motivate myself to be more active. I have a very sedentary job so if I can increase the time I'm moving about during the day it can only help. So I've ordered one and cant wait for it to arrive!! I've been very sceptical about gimmicks and gadgets however I think I could make this work for me.

In the spirit of taking more steps we went for another walk today. Not the 5mile one originally planned but a shorter 3mile walk around a local dam. It was lovely and peaceful and we saw lots of baby ducklings as well as a swan nesting (which we kept well clear of!!). All good 'body magic' and I have to confess my legs were a bit stiff after yesterday.

Foodwise everything was okay today although I did have quite a carby day. Pasta with ham, onion, mushrooms and philly light for lunch. Chicken rolled up with parma ham and garlic cream cheese with baked baby potatoes and salad for tea. All yummy and either free or healthy extra (apart from boursoin). Had a kikat for afters.

Now let me polish my halo...to the cinema I took with me 20 almonds (healthy b) and a fruit salad! My husband slagged me rotten while he sat and ate his sweeties but it was totally worth it to be able to come homeof and not feel like I'd blown it. Saved a bit of money as well - I'm always blown away by how expensive the cinema is!!

In general I have noticed that I have more money in my purse at the moment and it's because I'm not frittering away money every day on food. It would not be unusual for me to most days buy some food at my work (aka junk) and then to stop at the shop for chocolate on my way home at night - breaking this habit will be one of the most important things to influence my weight loss and help me maintain in the future - being organised and taking food to work will be the key to keeping this up.

Shattered after a long day, off to Aberdeen tomorrow. Will check in over the weekend

Night xx

It is a tough journey but we will get there. Slow and steady wins the race right? Haha.

Yay to you for sensible eats at the cinema. I think it's always satisfying to know you managed to snack but not overdo it (and spend a ridiculous amount of money!). And it's great to get in some exercise, especially if it's enjoyable. I notice so much more of a difference in body shape and motivation when I'm exercising along with changing the way I eat. Keep it up!

Popping in to subscribe. Just read through your diary so far and it has set me thinking. It is making me more aware of what I also used to do and the habits that I am still trying to break. Looking forward to following your journey.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using MiniMins.com mobile app

CHOMP CHOMP CHOMP..... I'll be back soon :)
Will check in tomorrow once I'm back home and back on the straight and narrow x

Oh dear me! We are back from Aberdeen and definitely time to draw a line on the weekend!! I would say that over the three days we were away I got progressively worse!! Friday was a good day - we were out for a meal and had a lot to drink but I made good choices (vodka/diet coke, lower syn meal choice, just one course). Saturday was the slippery slope - less to drink but eating poor and ate my weight in crisps and dip......and then there was today....which was just appalling - it was a bit like the last supper before I pulled myself back together again. In reflection I should have got fruit for the journey home instead of peanut M&M's and cooked a better dinner instead of convenient stuff from M&S. Anyway..... I'm home now and have done an online shop and planned my meals for the rest of the week.

What is most important is that I recognise this weekend for what it was (admittedly there are things that I could have done better) and move on and focus on the week ahead. I've decided that I'm going to go and weigh in on Wed instead of Monday to try and reduce the chances of discouraging myself.

I was excited to find that my fitbit arrived in the post while we were away!! I have set it up and looking forward to trying to walk my 10,000 steps tomorrow!! My plan is to go out for a quick walk in the morning before work and also to park a little further from the office. Otherwise I'll be walking up and down the hall tomorrow night trying to make up my steps before bed lol!!

So I was quite determined that I wasn't going to totally beat myself up for what is just life - however I do think that there's some lessons or strategies that I can take from this weekend that will help me on future trips (London at end of June & Algarve in August).
These would be -
* Make good choices at the times when you DO have control which will minimise the damage for the times when you don't have so much choice.
* Stay away from crisps and dip if you know like me that you won't be able to stop
* Make everyday you can count
* If you are tired get some fresh air - sugar filled drinks such as red bull are not your friend - in ANY situation.
* Make a plan for how you are going to deal with each situation and try to STICK to it!
* Listen to your body
*Try to recognise 'last supper mentality' - I find this a hard thing to overcome but if I recognise it I can either curb it or minimise the damage! I think that will come as I change my mindset and learn how to cope better with unplanned events/treats/social situations involving food!!! At the moment I don't really do well in these situations and find myself using them as EXCUSES to binge.

Off now to look at my map to plan where I'm going to park tomorrow!!

Night night xx

I agree with you, that reflecting on it and setting up some action points are the best way to deal with it.

It will get easier as time passes to stick to plan and get back on track. We are all allowed off days. Well done for realising what you need to focus on that's part of the issue.

I remember someone said they ordered a fitbit couldn't remember who lol

I got the fitbit one and I love it! It has been really motivating for me keeping to 10k steps and 10 flights of stairs. A good investment you will enjoy it.

Awww bursting...I feel ur pain I totally blew my diet on saturday too and then tried really hard yesterday to keep within 1500 calories but didn't manage that either as I had a hangover to feed. Anyway we are all allowed off days, its just about dusting urself off and getting back on track which it sounds to me like u have. Good luck this week x

Hmm less said about today the better...it takes me ages to get back in the groove! Off to bed and will report in tomorrow night for accountability Tuesday lol!

Meh....still AWOL!
I went back to work on Monday feeling a bit overwhelmed at all the things I had to do - the result being that I made no effort at all in relation to eating or exercising - I was in 'survival mode'. I have caught up a bit and ended up off today with a migraine. Feeling better now and more positive about the rest of the week. I've not weighed this week - had intended to today but never went (was in pj's with greasy hair). I think for the sake of accountability and to try and keep myself on track I will weigh tomorrow rather than waiting till next week. I expect a gain but that would be reasonable to expect given what I've been eating over the last 5 days.

I am feeling quite excited because my husband as agreed that he is going to do SW with me. He doesn't want to go to group but wants to follow it at home. I think this will be really good because he has no idea about eating well or following a plan - I think supporting him will be a good way to keep me on track (lead by example and all that!), and I think I might get the benefit of doing it with someone who has a fresh outlook and isn't jaded by a lifetime of diets! I think when he was younger he could eat what he liked as long as he exercised but that's changed as he has got older. Anyway I'm glad to have a weight loss chum!

Had a read through my diary tonight from the start. It was helpful to remember just how good I was feeling last week and to remind myself why I am doing this. There's a temptation to 'go quiet' when it's not going well but I think it's important to me to continue to keep my diary in order to find my way through the hard times as well as celebrating the good times.

Will be checking in tomorrow hopefully with a more positive update!!

Thanks for reading my ramblings - I think I needed to do that tonight!!

Night xx

It's a really good mindset you're in that you want to weigh in tomorrow rather than wait a week. If it's a gain, accept it and move on. And look back at all of those reasons in your diary to push you in the right direction. Also, yay to hubby starting with you! It always helps when you're doing it with another person.

Just a quick check in tonight to report a much better day. Back on track today foodwise which feels really good.
I couldnt get to a class but weighed at home and low and behold I'm down 1.5! Just goes to show it's never as bad as you think it will be!! Back to proper group on Monday for official wk 3 weigh in - my goal is to do the best I can for then and try and get another loss! Getting to grips with my fitbit but yet to manage 10000 steps - that is my goal for Sat and Sun. Night night xx

Wow well done for the loss!

Just a quick check in tonight to report a much better day. Back on track today foodwise which feels really good.
I couldnt get to a class but weighed at home and low and behold I'm down 1.5! Just goes to show it's never as bad as you think it will be!! Back to proper group on Monday for official wk 3 weigh in - my goal is to do the best I can for then and try and get another loss! Getting to grips with my fitbit but yet to manage 10000 steps - that is my goal for Sat and Sun. Night night xx

Whooop whoop well done x

Hi everyone, just checking in to say I'm still alive!
Works been pretty busy and it's funny how quickly you can put 'yourself' to the side to prioritise other things like work, family etc.
I'm still trying to stick with SW principles but not being as consistent as I would like - especially the last couple of days (last couple of days before pay day and I'm skint) so just been eating whatever is left in the house!!

On a positive note husband and I joined a local gym. Got a really good rate/special deal for £25 per month I've been a couple of times now and really like it - only issue is EVERYONE else looks very fit in comparison - however good 'thinspiration'. A small family run gym which is friendly and welcoming - I've felt far more comfortable than in the big corporate gyms I've been to before.

Anyway it's my plan to go four times a week in the morning before work. That feels achievable. Still need to work on my moving about and steps during the day - my fitbit has really raised my awareness of just how sedentary my job actually is! I really struggle to so 10000 steps a day so hopefully going to find a solution to this. Parking further away only works if I'm not late, it's not raining, or I don't have killer heels on. Need to manage time better and take a pair of flats in my bag!!

Reading this you might be thinking that I'm avoiding the weight issue! You are probably right!! I have changed my weigh in day to a Friday so not to discourage myself from weighing in after a weekend away as I did recently. So will weigh in on Fri and see what is what. Hopefully there won't be an unintended consequence - I.e feeling that I can be less careful at the weekend!

Night night all x

Hi everyone, just checking in to say I'm still alive!
Works been pretty busy and it's funny how quickly you can put 'yourself' to the side to prioritise other things like work, family etc.
I'm still trying to stick with SW principles but not being as consistent as I would like - especially the last couple of days (last couple of days before pay day and I'm skint) so just been eating whatever is left in the house!!

On a positive note husband and I joined a local gym. Got a really good rate/special deal for £25 per month ? I've been a couple of times now and really like it - only issue is EVERYONE else looks very fit in comparison - however good 'thinspiration'. A small family run gym which is friendly and welcoming - I've felt far more comfortable than in the big corporate gyms I've been to before.

Anyway it's my plan to go four times a week in the morning before work. That feels achievable. Still need to work on my moving about and steps during the day - my fitbit has really raised my awareness of just how sedentary my job actually is! I really struggle to so 10000 steps a day so hopefully going to find a solution to this. Parking further away only works if I'm not late, it's not raining, or I don't have killer heels on. Need to manage time better and take a pair of flats in my bag!!

Reading this you might be thinking that I'm avoiding the weight issue! You are probably right!! I have changed my weigh in day to a Friday so not to discourage myself from weighing in after a weekend away as I did recently. So will weigh in on Fri and see what is what. Hopefully there won't be an unintended consequence - I.e feeling that I can be less careful at the weekend!

Night night all x

Heyy! Sounds like a plan! And changing weigh in day sounds like a good idea too. you're being open about how you're going and making relevant adjustments. Good luck, esp with gym. It will help loads :)

Hey. How r u? Just checking in as I've been absent for a while. I'm gonna get me one of these fitbit things. They are quite expensive though aren't they so are they worth it? I think what u said about ur sedentary job has made me think. Mine is sedentary also and I know I dont do 10000 steps a day infact probably only about 2000 I would think and thats being generous.

I'll check back on friday amd see how ur week has went. Good luck x

Hey. How r u? Just checking in as I've been absent for a while. I'm gonna get me one of these fitbit things. They are quite expensive though aren't they so are they worth it? I think what u said about ur sedentary job has made me think. Mine is sedentary also and I know I dont do 10000 steps a day infact probably only about 2000 I would think and thats being generous.

It's hard to get steps in when your job involves being sat at a desk for most of the day. If you take public transport, maybe try walking home part way or walking for a few stops and then taking transport. I don't know how to get steps in for drivers apart from what has already been mentioned.

Hi Tangerine, I'm fine just not making an awful lot of progress at the moment. Have been avoiding the scales too! Online at the moment doing my online shop so hoping that will help focus me a bit. Got bfast and lunch planned for tmrw and trying to think of quick dinners for through the week so that I can go to the gym after work and not be eating my dinner at 10pm!! I'm off this weekend so might do some batch cooking.

I agree a fitbit is quite expensive. I like it as it tracks a few different things as well as serving as an alarm clock. I find it quite motivational as you earn 'badges' and get a weekly email summarising your stats. However a pedometer would still do the trick if you weren't sure about a fitbi. Of to read how you are getting on and try and motivate myself xx

Back