Extra Easy: My weekly promise - 1 new thing

I'm doing success express this week (I do my weeks sat to sat by my weigh ins) xx

My biggest disappointments have been star fruit and dragon fruit. They both look great - the star fruit is a fun shape when cut, and the dragon fruit is an amazing colour - but they didn't really taste of much. It wasn't that I didn't like them, there wasn't much not to like, just that they were a waste of time and money.

It's enough to make you think these fruits are 'unusual' for a reason! Perhaps we already eat the nicest fruits?

I've grown yellow and orange tomatoes, but my 'black' ones didn't grow properly. I don't see the point of tomatoes that are still green when ripe and you can get white strawberries. I wonder how you can tell they're ripe other than by feel?

It's enough to make you think these fruits are 'unusual' for a reason! Perhaps we already eat the nicest fruits?

I've grown yellow and orange tomatoes, but my 'black' ones didn't grow properly. I don't see the point of tomatoes that are still green when ripe and you can get white strawberries. I wonder how you can tell they're ripe other than by feel?

I think you could be right Patty! Ive never seen white strawberries ooooo.

My friend grows orange baby tomatoes. They are delicious. I know this because once they get going he ends up with so many of them, he gives them to everyone!

I tried fresh lychees this week. I've had tinned ones in the past but wasn't keen. Fresh ones taste a bit like green grapes without the skin. Would I buy again? Probably not as they're quite expensive + by the time you've taken them out of the husk and removed the seed you might as well have bought grapes. Also they look a bit grub-like!

ImageUploadedByMiniMins.com1401310785.205239.jpg

Im trying stewed rhubarb, not had rhubarb for years and mam used to always do it in a crumble, so going to try doing it myself - nothing exciting this week :)

I love rhubarb! I'm toying with the idea of making Jack Monroe's rhubarb and ginger soda bread as I also love ginger. If I make it with WM flour and sweetener, it might not be too Synful by the slice. Must get my books and calculator out and put my brain to use...

Sounds gorgeous :)

I'll get mine free lol one of the girls at work grows it she's bringing me a carrier bag full in tomorrow - I think it will be ok to freeze if I do a batch?

I think I remember my mother freezing rhubarb crumbles etc but I would just cut the rhubarb up and freeze without cooking. You can blanch it in boiling water (or steam) for a couple of minutes before plunging it into ice water - this will preserve its colour. Dry and freeze on trays then tip into boxes or bags.

(Cross posted!)

I tried fresh lychees this week. I've had tinned ones in the past but wasn't keen. Fresh ones taste a bit like green grapes without the skin. Would I buy again? Probably not as they're quite expensive + by the time you've taken them out of the husk and removed the seed you might as well have bought grapes. Also they look a bit grub-like!

View attachment 140091

Oh I love lychees - haven't had them for ages. They do look a bit weird, true, but I think the taste is quite different to grapes. And yes, expensive, but worth it for a little treat.

Back