February money challenge

Have ordered a few items of Amazon this morning, probably not essential but hopefully useful! A book on Iyengar yoga to help support the work I do at my yoga class, a charger for the house for phones as somehow between us most seem to have got lost or broken! Also one for in my car for when I start my new job as I will be out in the community and a new cover ofr my phone which was the most non essential really, though mine is a bit battered its more because I have purple and so do a lot of people so I wanted different lol
Need to be careful now though as there is extra money gone in this month and we haven't decided where exactly it is going so don't want to spend it all before it goes somewhere useful!

Wow that's loads! When we have kids it's gonna be a massive shock to the system (and bank account!!)

Easily done though - when I babysit my nieces I seem to go through bread like it's nobody's business!!

Hate to say this, but kids never stop costing you money!!
Our turn up when they want something. Usually money!!
That`s partly why we ended up with money problems in the past.

OH has a brain injury and they used to play on that.
Getting him to go to the cashpoint when they wanted cash.
I`ve had to put a stop to that by taking his debit card away from him
and giving him "pocket money".

I`ve told them exactly what I think and that I don`t want any
more calls, texts, msgs on fb or anything if they want money.
We can`t afford it and they`ll have to learn to sort their own
budget out!!

I`m still trying to work out where they got this mercenary
attitude towards money from. When they were small we
provided for them as best we could. We never spolied them.
They didn`t always get everything they wanted.

Only one has contacted us since Christmas.
At least we know where we stand. :(

They`re not teenagers!!
We have two boys aged 33 & 31.
Our daughter is 30. Only the oldest has been
in touch.

Sorry for the rant!
I feel better now!!:)

Hate to say this, but kids never stop costing you money!! Our turn up when they want something. Usually money!! That`s partly why we ended up with money problems in the past. OH has a brain injury and they used to play on that. Getting him to go to the cashpoint when they wanted cash. I`ve had to put a stop to that by taking his debit card away from him and giving him "pocket money". I`ve told them exactly what I think and that I don`t want any more calls, texts, msgs on fb or anything if they want money. We can`t afford it and they`ll have to learn to sort their own budget out!! I`m still trying to work out where they got this mercenary attitude towards money from. When they were small we provided for them as best we could. We never spolied them. They didn`t always get everything they wanted. Only one has contacted us since Christmas. At least we know where we stand. :( They`re not teenagers!! We have two boys aged 33 & 31. Our daughter is 30. Only the oldest has been in touch. Sorry for the rant! I feel better now!!:)

Don't apologise GA. Sounds very sad :(

Have you tried contacting them to tell them how their lack of contact has made you feel?

Hugs xx

That's disgraceful behaviour GA, i'm so sorry you have to go through that, This is NOT your fault, and with me not being a parent this probably isn't possible but if it was me then i wouldn't contact them at all. They made a choice, they aren't children anymore as you say. :bighug: x

(that probably makes me sound like a monster, i do apologise, i'm just a firm believer in everyone makes their own choices, just because they are bad ones doesn't give one free reign to blame it on others)

Hate to say this, but kids never stop costing you money!!
Our turn up when they want something. Usually money!!
That`s partly why we ended up with money problems in the past.

OH has a brain injury and they used to play on that.
Getting him to go to the cashpoint when they wanted cash.
I`ve had to put a stop to that by taking his debit card away from him
and giving him "pocket money".

I`ve told them exactly what I think and that I don`t want any
more calls, texts, msgs on fb or anything if they want money.
We can`t afford it and they`ll have to learn to sort their own
budget out!!

I`m still trying to work out where they got this mercenary
attitude towards money from. When they were small we
provided for them as best we could. We never spolied them.
They didn`t always get everything they wanted.

Only one has contacted us since Christmas.
At least we know where we stand. :(

They`re not teenagers!!
We have two boys aged 33 & 31.
Our daughter is 30. Only the oldest has been
in touch.

Sorry for the rant!
I feel better now!!:)

This is disgusting! I cannot believe that they can be so deceitful to their own parents!! How could they take advantage of their dad for money when he is injured?!?!? Just don't understand it hun - shame on them! And well done you for putting a stop to it!

I am 30 and I would NEVER treat anyone that way let alone my parents! Even now I would never ask them for money to pay my debts - I got myself into trouble and I will get myself out of it! Its nobody's fault but mine that I mismanaged my money.

I'm really sorry to hear that they are treating you this way - they are obviously lacking in maturity if they think that you asking them to stop trying to 'borrow' money means that they can't get in touch anyway. Very selfish in my opinion and hopefully your life is a bit less stressful now you have put your foot down.

*hugs* xxxx

Don't apologise GA. Sounds very sad :(

Have you tried contacting them to tell them how their lack of contact has made you feel?

Hugs xx

It should be easy.
Had the conversations loads of times before.
It works in the short term then is business
as usual.

That's disgraceful behaviour GA, i'm so sorry you have to go through that, This is NOT your fault, and with me not being a parent this probably isn't possible but if it was me then i wouldn't contact them at all. They made a choice, they aren't children anymore as you say. :bighug: x

(that probably makes me sound like a monster, i do apologise, i'm just a firm believer in everyone makes their own choices, just because they are bad ones doesn't give one free reign to blame it on others)

Many thanks for the support :)

Hubs and I have a had a chat.
We`re not contacting them unless we have to.
We`re both fed up with it.
I`ve also come to a decision.
Hopefully this will be a long way off, but
I know I`m to inherit my mother`s house when she passes on.
If when my time comes, there isn`t any significent iprovement,
they`ll find that I leave my money to charity.

Not that I`m telling them!! Any changes, if any have to
come from them without doing it to get their hands on my money.
That`s assuming I survive hubs!!

Sorry to sound morbid!! :D

I started writing something this morning along those lines about leaving them out of your will if they don't keep in touch.

Our 2 sons know if they don't look after us when we need it then nothing will be left for them.:)

I see what you mean. At the moment, I`d prefer that they kept in touch
cos they wanted to. Not beacuse they wanted to put their hand in our pockets.
Maybe in time, I may change my mind.
In the meantime, they know where we are and our phone number
hasn`t changed. Requests for money will be met with a polite but firm refusal.
Maybe they`ll grow up and stop acting like teenagers, we`ll see.

Thanks everyone for all the support

We went to the bank yesterday about changing accounts so we can hopefully organise things better, I think it went well. Its surprising what 'products' are out there and a couple of changes we made might mean we actually earn money in form of cashback on certain purchases, every little helps! Worth shopping around I think.

Because some extra money was around this month spending has been a little relaxed this weekend but have said to hubby I want to look at the figures later and draw a line under it now and get organised!

All great in theory just got to put into practise now :rolleyes:

We need to look at our money, I put money away each month towards the holidays, but OH was saying yesterday I need to put money in the Spanish account to help towards the mortgage, which is ok really at least I'm not spending more money, my money is just going elsewhere, but what about my holidays:eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm planning again this month to spend only what I need to & no unnecessary items, I think it worked last month, so will give it another whirl.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I've just been online now & I've just gone overdrawn, which is an improvement on last months o/d.

Well I've been and done my food shop and kept to my £100 budget so now I just need to make it last. I have set aside a little bit of money to top up in 2 weeks with the bits that I couldn't get at aldi today.

Tomorrow I'm going to see about switching banks now that I have been paid!!

Well February was going ok but hubby got home from band practice and informed me that his best mate (the drummer) was selling his big fancy pants drum kit....i say how much and what's wrong with the one you have? In reply, £850 because it's a top of the line one and has loads of extras. I told him that i couldn't give him that but i could do installments of £200 a month, thinking there was no way the guy would take it, but guess what :eek:

I think because he earns all the money (and he does work bloody hard and long hours bless him) that I do over compensate in that i don't want him feeling like he's going to work and not getting anything he wants,so now we will have a blinking giant full professional drum kit in the spare room (it's his man cave lol, full of guitars and computers) and an extra £200 a month to find....*sigh*

I don't mind really, if it keeps him happy, i wish i could spend money so freely (i could if i wanted, he wouldn't care an iota because he knows i wouldn't buy it if we couldn't afford it, plus when i buy something, guilt kicks in and i buy him something too so it's a win win for him lol)

Managed to save £900 for our spending money for Gib so that should be plenty it's only a week! But i keep using my overdraft to pay for things i had forgotten about (prescriptions birthdays etc so i'm hoping we don't spend it all so that i can put some money back in when we get home (i'm not holding out much hope haha) x

Wow pixie!! £200 per month will be hard to find but I know what you mean about wanting him to have something nice for all his hard work!

I've put £100 into my holiday pot as per my scribbled 'budget' on the back of my wage slip lol. I'll sort out other payments etc tomorrow as I forgot my little online banking gadget today!!

Subbing!

Am on a bit of a 'balancing the books' battle currently. My OH gets paid weekly and I do monthly.

I am desperately trying to improve our credit ratings to get a mortgage in the future. I've joined a website called Noddle which is free credit report site and it's really good! Not quite as good as experience etc but it's free forever :)

I've been told that I have lots of credit available and to reduce the amount I use to 30% of what available. I am going to try and pay my credit card off £6000 limit, currently sitting it £5400. Every week we can afford it, he is giving me between £200-300 to pay from now. We'll see if that happens! Life just gets in the way sometimes doesn't it?

I have cleared my catalogues (Kay's and Next). I've two payments to make on a bank loan. Getting there!

Yay welcome to the tread, is your credit card on a 0% interest? if not could you switch it to 0%.

Thank you :)

It's not 0% unfortunately but I can't get another at the moment due to my credit rating (it's not that bad, I just have a lot of credit sitting about used and unused). I found a credit card that was 0% for 29 months but I failed the credit check.

My next credit report is due on Thursday so I'm hoping the headway I've made might make it a little better. Just chipping away at everything.

I've paid an extra £100 off my credit card today. Yippeeee!! Still doesn't make much of a dent but at least it's progress!

£400 ish paid off so far this year! I'm going to track how much I pay off so that I don't get bogged down with how much there is still to go!

Back