Food without the angst - Vegan SW

Just wondering, what happened to the banned people? Whatever does one have to do to get banned on mimimins? Anyway, as I don't seem to come here very often I've popped in to give a couple of extremely easy and delicious soups.

1) Take a tin of baked beans, a tin of carrots, a tin of tomatoes and a couple of pickled onions. Liquidise together very thoroughly and apparantly the end result is very like Heinz Cream of Tomato

2) Cook about half (or more, it doesn't matter) a bag of frozen green beans with a stock cube. Liquidise the beans and the cooking water with a tin of butter beans. Enjoy.

Oh yum oh yum oh yum. A new hummus style thingy. Chickpeas, roast red peppers, Lebanese 5 spice powder, onion granules and salt. I could have eaten this made from 2 tins of chickpeas in a flash. Instead I shall wait for the brocoli to be soft, mix that with instant potato stuff to make firm balls and if I can wait, frylight them and cover with this delicious stuff.

I don't think I've put my scrambled tofu on here. Traditionally you are meant to fry it in marge or oil, I mix it all up in a pudding basin and heat it in the microwave.

Ingredients: 1 portion of tofu. you can use the firm stuff kept in the chiller but as I have cartons still of the silken tofu I use that and live with the sloppiness of it.
1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
1 teaspoon bouillon powder (check ingredients, some have lactose)
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
2 heaped teaspoons of nutritiona yeast
pepper

engevita nutritional yeast is a wonderful addition to the kitchen. rich in Vit B12 with a strong delicious taste reminiscent of cheese.

check the taste as you go along, I'm a cook by eye person and may not have given enough of the flavourings, better too little so you can add more rather than the other way around

I will have this with roast mushrooms (in the oven, chopped up with frylight) and tinned toms.

The other way I do tofu is to marinade and then grill it, you can't really use the silken stuff in tetra packs for this, well, I have tried with putting it between kitchen towel paper stuff and pressing it but it's not very solid.

Mix soy sauce with water, lemon juice, rosemary (just bung the leaves in) and engevita yeast and slice your tofu. I find it best to use a rectangular sandwich tupperware thingy about the same size so you use minimal marinade, put the sliced tofu in as if it were still a solid block then separate the slices a little (clear as mud huh?) and add the liquid, after an hour or so, turn the tofu over so the bits that were sticking up out of the marinade get soaked too. It will all go brown.

When both sides are done, line the grill with silver foil, put the slices of tofu on these as if grilling bread, and cook. You can cook until it goes fairly firm, then when it cools it will be a bit harder. Depending on the length of time in the marinade you might find when you cut it you have a creamy middle, no problem it is yummy and this gives a dimension of prettyness. I think.

Oh, you need to turn it over like making toast.

I've never managed to do it it curry or stews woithout getting a messy slop so have given up. This looks a good way to try, but I've not doen it yet.

Thai Black Pepper and Garlic Tofu | recipe from FatFree Vegan Kitchen

A thought, if you are experimenting with tofu and soya milk, someone is bound to start giving you the 'soya is the devil's work' lecture. To pre-empt your worries, this might be worth looking at as a starting point. Great recipes from this author, by the way.

SOY DANGER? SOY ALERT? SOY FEARS? SOY MYTHS? ARE YOU CONCERNED ABOUT THE SAFETY OF SOY? THE DANGERS OF SOY? SOY ESTROGENS? PERHAPS SOY DAMAGE TO YOUR HEALTH? ARE YOU "RETHINKING" SOY OR WORRIED ABOUT THE "DARK SIDE OF SOY"? WHAT'S THE SCOOP?

Good heavens, I was last here over a year ago. Lots has happened, so did lots of eating and my stats don't match the old ticker at all. I went back to SW last week and am actually in the right place emotionally to do this SW thing again - I'm actually looking forward to seeing how much I've lost on Tuesday.

Today's food

As I struggle to remember, lots of spinach and chickpea curry with mashed potato, two chocolate biscuits that will be three or four syns each I expect, bananas and apples, tea and coffee with the low cal Alpro almond milk.

think I'll have a w/meal pitta and call it a healthy extra with salad and the free tofu mayonaisse on Hastalavista's diary.

If anyone knows me from the old days, do drop by to say hi.

Poop! I was tired last night and wasn't prepared for the tired munchies - it was too late to use the noisy food processor so I looked in the fridge and found houmous. I had most of a pot and three pittas. Penance is living off fruit salad today and tomorrow before WI

Hey, welcome back, I don't know you from your last time here, I'm new (not actually new, wouldn't that be lovely), new to SW. I've enjoyed reading a couple of the most recent posts and recipes you posted, good luck for your next weigh in.

Hi BeeBeeSee - love the name :)

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement.

Oooooh, I'm looking at the website now, do you mean the falafels?

So far today:

3 small apples and about a litre and half on soup made from a tin of peas and a tin of green beans and a stock cube. Eeeeh, I'm doing my best to make up for yesterday. There was a melon I had planned to have a SS sweet deliciousness and the ruddy thing had gone off. Oh well ...

2 cups of tea with bog standard normal sweetened soya milk, will check on the allowance for that as it's quite a small amount for a HX A

Leaving for the dentist soon, I've a few collapsed fillings so there will be quite a lot of work to be done but not all today.

Oooooh, I'm looking at the website now, do you mean the falafels?

No, I don't think so. They are called chickpea patties and are basically chickpea and potato cakes. The only thing in there, as far as I can see, that you presumably wouldn't have is an egg. What would you use as a substitute for eggs? The recipe sounds so good, will definitely make them, they would travel well I reckon, very handy for lunches.

So far today:

3 small apples and about a litre and half on soup made from a tin of peas and a tin of green beans and a stock cube. Eeeeh, I'm doing my best to make up for yesterday. There was a melon I had planned to have a SS sweet deliciousness and the ruddy thing had gone off. Oh well ...

2 cups of tea with bog standard normal sweetened soya milk, will check on the allowance for that as it's quite a small amount for a HX A

Leaving for the dentist soon, I've a few collapsed fillings so there will be quite a lot of work to be done but not all today.

Oh, you really are reining it in today, well done you! Shame about the melon, I love melon, can eat half in just one sitting.

I hope your dentist visit goes ok, never pleasant but hope you'll feel a lot better after.

I just double checked on the website, falafels are very similar, they are more or less the same minus the potato and the egg. I guess the potato will give it a different texture and bulk it out a bit more, they probably fry nicely. Whoop! Must. Try.

Oh, I saw them but don't eat eggs myself. I LOVE chick peas though, one of my favourite pulses.

Oooooh, you did two posts on my diary :) Having seen the one above - what do I substitute for eggs? In baking bananas, flax seed gloop or some recipes don't seems to need a specific replacement.In savoury, I'd use something like besam flour but that is synny. So I suppose maybe some glutinous rice or the big cous cous, that sticks together very well or that good old standby a very heavy handed squeeze and a prayer as it goes in the frying pan that it won't all fall apart :)

I don't use chickpeas much, but they are now on top of my shopping list. Will try the potato cake version, I can't see how much difference an egg would make so might try without. Whenever there's an ingredient, "free" as it may be, that I don't think adds anything to flavour or other benefit, I usually leave it out.

Quite excited though that my staple lentil curry I have been cooking for years can be a free food if I just leave out the cooking oil. Whoop!

I invented a new food today. Inspired by the recipes on a website called Saving Nemo I decided to try something fried and seafood tasting. As I didn't have all the right ingredients I couldn't copy anything so here is what I made. This part of it's development is not SW friendly.

Take a few nori sheets and pulverise them in a food processor, then add a carton of silken tofu, some flour slightly less in bulk than the tofu - I then found I needed to add soya milk to make the batter wet enough, and a teaspoon or so of soy sauce. Make into little patties and fry on both sides.

Assuming I could use the oil as a HEX B and the small bit of flour as nominal syns I had a bit of one of them and it was good.

So the next step is to work out a SW friendly version, I reckon risotto rice would be sticky enough to hold the tofu and nori together without the flour and of course, good old fry light. I'll report back :)

What I actually had for supper was noodles with roasted butternut squash and mushrooms done with frylight in thin slices, and soy sauce. It was very good. Topped off with a glass of the new Alpro coconut milk you find in the chiller section. My oh my, it tastes so thick and creamy and sweet yet you can have .... oh no, I can't find it in the Healthy Extra section of the website - I was sure I'd seen it there. Oh well, it's been drunk now

Oh, dentist was OK, no work today but a 40 minute appt next week for three fillings that have fallen apart.

Back