Food without the angst - Vegan SW

First WI today, oooooooooo.

I plan to live off lots of liquorice tea and go for a walk to take my old computer in to the computer hospital and buy a couple of melons. What do other people do on WI day if it's in the evening.

Note to self, have something at home to munch that is sensible SW sort of stuff. Maybe take a snack to the session.

I don't use chickpeas much, but they are now on top of my shopping list. Will try the potato cake version, I can't see how much difference an egg would make so might try without. Whenever there's an ingredient, "free" as it may be, that I don't think adds anything to flavour or other benefit, I usually leave it out.

Quite excited though that my staple lentil curry I have been cooking for years can be a free food if I just leave out the cooking oil. Whoop!

Lentil curry, yay :) Good principle in SW cooking - if not necessary, leave it out. I highly recommend chick peas taste wise but have just remembered that in the list of free food they don't have an S or an SS by them so they are heavier on the calories than other pulses. Bother bother bother, I'd forgotten and have had a couple of tins some days.

Your non-fishy fish patties sound good, with rice they could be sushi-esque :D I love sushi! Could totally try and make some myself, especially the veggie versions I'm fond of with lots of soy sauce to dip.

Oh I do hope your dentist appointment goes alright, I feel for you. I never used to have a problem with dentists and thought it was just me and my nerves of steel :p Turns out it was just coz my teeth were really good then. But a couple of root canal treatments later, I'm a frightened mess every time I have to go to the dentist.

Good luck for your weigh in tonight. I must admit I kept it quite minimal myself yesterday food wise so as not to be too heavy, pathetic really, it's just psychological.

Oh flip oh gosh oh wow! I lost 6 lbs! Reckon that compensating for the houmous with the veggie soup worked out OK.

about 4 apples, and melon
2 x Frys hot dogs 5 syns
potato, sweet potato and onion roasted in my HEx olive oil
soup made of lentils carrot and tomato
risotto with spinach and black eyed beans

almond soya milk

Last edited:
Ho hum, I'm going to be that annoying vegan/adventurous cook at the group tonight. The syns online surprisingly doesn't have vital wheat gluten and this is the start of what I want to cook:

 1 cup vital wheat gluten
 1/4 cup garbanzo bean (chickpea) flour
 2 T nutritional yeast
 1 T dried minced onion
 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
 1 tsp onion powder
 1 tsp garlic powder
 1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Back again after another thought. Nope, it can't find seitan either. Never mind, I'll have a nice brisk walk bearing a couple of bin liners full of cast off clothes - m'daughter's as I'm going to get back into mine - buy some veggies and fruit then try and wake my nocturnal son for his lesson. Actually, this is me avoiding filling in his DLA form, his tutor will be here tonight as she has volunteered to do the professional's bit and I've only rough notes for all the rest.

So, Ms Can't Get Down To It, bottom off sofa and get going.

Dropping by to jot down what I've had so far today:

vegetable and lentil soup, 2 cashews out of 16 that I will have today, banana, strawberry and melon kebab, half a raspberry smoothie ice lolly thingummy, 2 syns.

Micci, you're so good! I'm such a pig, a slimming world pig, nevertheless a pig.

Naw :) :) :) This is a woma who can sit down with a couple of packets of biscuits and get through them all in less than an hour. It's just I'm working on my need to have a healthy relationship with food, going to counselling, reading and listening to personal development type podcasts for the inner stuff. Somehow after two years of piggery and 5 stones plus to show for it I'm in the right emotional space again. I've had health problems, a son who has had two long term spells in hospital for mental health reasons, the last time under a section 3 of the MH act, ie not voluntarily. The stress around all this, plus my husband is most likely on the autistic Spectrum as well as my son and heself medicated as they say with alchohol and prescription painkillers ... well without spelling it all out life has been difficult and my coping strategy was eating.

I'm ashamed at having been so out of control and done so much damage to myself. For heavens sake I've been going between a size 22/24 and a loose 14 (once!) for about the last 10 or 11 years. Now I'm weaning myself off the anti depressants and seem to be coping with my boy's ongoing difficulties OK. Fingers crossed :)

Anyway, pigs are amazing animals, with more intelligence than a dog, so comparing yourself to one is not such a bad thing. Being out of control with food is SOOOOO flipping understandable. We all are here on this forum. That's how we got this way.

There is more food to add to that list ....

1 pack of some low fat Sainsbury's crispy things at 4.5 sysn

The rest of the cashews, a very hit and miss judgement as I made a spread. Soak your cashews overnight then pour away the soaking water and liquidise with (this was what I fancied) smoked garlic powder and onion salt. How you work out 16 cashews from that I don't know but I just had a level teaspoon.

A sort of risotto that an Italian would have been aghast to see called risotto. Made by boiling up risotto rice with a stock pot, some frozen broccoli, halved fresh cherry tomatoes and a tin of black eyes beans. 3 for a quid in Sainsbury atm, do you see a theme? Yum yum, lots of super free in there.

More fruit and the almond milk in coffee. I need to have more of that before bed.

Oh crikey, what have I had today? Lots of fruit, melon, apples, strawberries, and banana. Some little nibbles of the cashew paste, heck there was a whole meal I've forgotten. Will come back to update when I do remember.

Later, I've a little run planned. Tbh, I don't fancy this one little bit as have been active and working and up a long time. But my boy said he would support me in starting to run by coming out with me and anything to get him out of the house so - off I go a hunting for my trainers.

Good news is, and look away if you are eating or of a sensitive nature, he has discovered which of the cats has blood in her stools. Not easy when you've the menagerie of rescued strays that we have so well done him. Yet another vet visit must be scheduled. It could be any number of things according to google so my fingers are crossed we are not going to lose our little Marmite too soon.

No, I didn't have a meal, I forgot! I had been planning to eat with a friend but it didn't happen. I had some tasters of a bean and tomato chilli I did for my son and I'm STARVING. There is a mushroom soup on the go with fresh mushrooms and the rest of my almond milk.

Otherwise, I had about 10 pasta shells with a jarred ragu, so a few syns there and a biscuit which I can't be bothered to look up so shall call 3 syns and that's it for today. Yawn, actually I have to stay up until the early hours to ensure my semi nocturnal son gets to bed and does his reading.

And .... well done me, I did the waddling faster than walking stagger that will turn into a run. Wow, very well done me, I feel so good for it despite the tiredness. And thanks to my son who did come with me for support.

He's had me playing games tonight. I've crashed various vehicles to his amusement in Armour 3 and have a character in Skyrim the Elder Scrolls, it's pretty but flipping heck, what a boring way to spend a lot of time.

No, I didn't have a meal, I forgot! I had been planning to eat with a friend but it didn't happen. I had some tasters of a bean and tomato chilli I did for my son and I'm STARVING. There is a mushroom soup on the go with fresh mushrooms and the rest of my almond milk. Otherwise, I had about 10 pasta shells with a jarred ragu, so a few syns there and a biscuit which I can't be bothered to look up so shall call 3 syns and that's it for today. Yawn, actually I have to stay up until the early hours to ensure my semi nocturnal son gets to bed and does his reading. And .... well done me, I did the waddling faster than walking stagger that will turn into a run. Wow, very well done me, I feel so good for it despite the tiredness. And thanks to my son who did come with me for support. He's had me playing games tonight. I've crashed various vehicles to his amusement in Armour 3 and have a character in Skyrim the Elder Scrolls, it's pretty but flipping heck, what a boring way to spend a lot of time.

I wish I could forget to eat lol. The tomato chilli sounds lovely and I love mushroom soup.

Well done on the running (fast waddling) you are very brave and seriously motivated. There would have to be something seriously big and threatening chasing me for me to run lol. Really, really good on you though!, it's takes me all my time to walk nowadays with my poor joints and feet grumbling and getting breathless, I could never imagine myself running, well not with this 8 stone of extra Lisa on my back at the moment. Your son sounds like he's come on leaps and bounds since last year. I remember it was a particularly difficult time for you with him. He's very lucky to have you xxx

I've attempted to play on the Xbox with S about twice in the last 4 years both times he's been in hysterics and I've turned into a woman possessed :D

Lisa xxx

Thank you! My waddling wouldn't get me away from anything ferocious :) I never could run, that's why I got into martial arts - if you can't run away what else can you do? Still worried about m'boy but ... yeah, things are better. And I'm coping better. I think I'm off the anti Ds too :) I've not had one for nearly a week now. They had got down to one about every three days and tonight after I puffed away by the river I realised I was beginning to feel like the old me again. Tis nice.

And two choccies! around 9/10 syns in all

Breakfast!

frylighted mushrooms (SF), baked beans (SS) and 2 Linda McC rosemary onions (free) with sf ginger beer

An indoor day today, with a fair bit of mum duty to do. My main plan is to get the bedroom sorted a bit. With clothes for every size from 12 - 22 it's a bit full. The plan is to put the little clothes into labelled bags (and put the bags where?) and hang up the clothes that fit. Then I have an ocado delivery with more than will fit into the freezer so that will need some magic before G gets home from work.

Note to anyone else that likes the Fry's vegetarian range - they have the chick'n style nuggets at half price atm. 1/4 of a packet is 4.5 syns but I don't know how big a packet is but I shall enjoy some tonight with frylighted chips. What a conventional meal :) With the rest of my melon for pud.

My other food plan is a big spinach and lentil curry to make space in the freezer and use up the tin of lentils I opened yesterday. G can have some of that too with lashings of oil stirred into his portion. Thinking about it, some of that yummy alpro coconut milk would be nice in mine .... mmmmmm. More smiles ;) ;)

Back