I need to do this - primal eating & heavy lifting.

What is it with kids? All the stuff they have and my two will fight like cat and dog over a cardboard box I brought the shopping home in. This evening they've played a game that involved karate and having paper plates tied to your feet with ribbons :rolleyes:
Spent the day making 60 Easter baskets with 60 kids at DD1's school - enjoyed it but wouldn't want to do it every day!
In preparation for my busy day had paleo porridge this morning with blackberries and a teaspoon of maple syrup - lunch was a slice of cajun chicken and 8 cherry tomatoes with some tea. Dinner - chicken and veg curry leftovers.
Plan to try a half hour ab and arms workout with 5kg kettlebell this evening.

Had one of those hungry craving days yesterday - had a piece of toast in the morning,4 brazil nuts and some rhubarb compote - a horrible drive had me reaching for the mini eggs - although curbed myself at half a dozen but this set me off on a day long munchie fest. Took DD1 shopping and had lunch in a cafe - the most lovely butternut squash soup with a salad garnish, best I've had - think it had sage and garam masala in it, so going to try that with the half a squash that's festering in the fridge. Also pinched some of her chips.
Came home and made coconut pancakes - 2 eggs, small bit of almond milk, 1 1/2 tbsp coconut flour, tsp vanilla and some baking powder. Made 3 pancakes. Thought it was a bit "eggy" but wrapped the others in tin foil and put in bread bin.
Did half an hour kettlebells and an hour swim. Dinner of the final leftovers of the chicken and veg curry with some fruit to follow and 3 squares dark chocolate. Decided to have an early night to stop further food consumption!

This morning I did an hour Kettlexercise for Women dvd and had brunch of rocket, 2 rashers, 4 cherry tomato and 6 mushrooms. Popped one of the coconut pancakes in the toaster and I have to say it was much nicer and more pancake like after being left overnight. Would be divine with real butter on and some warm berries as a dessert or decadent breakfast.

Kids are now on 2 weeks holidays so my exercise routine is out of the window but will be fine if I do the Kettlebells dvd a couple of times a week and swim at the weekend. Weigh & measure fast approaching.

Finished the day with dinner of spring cabbage, onions and asparagus with homemade meatballs. Going to have some tea, strawberries and dark chocolate later.

I had an e-mail from a guy at revolution fitness - he runs a pretty hardcore gym and I've sort of been internet stalking his stuff in awe for the last week or more. Anyhow, he is based in Dublin & his gym is full but he's looking to take on 10 online members - but there's a lot of people want to work with him and he's got to meet/talk with you to make sure you "fit" and he wont just take money from anyone. He wants 100% success and so you have to show you will commit 100% and get the results. If I got in, I swear I'd work my ass off - I'd love the opportunity. I've gone from wanting to be a "normal" weight to wanting to be a bit more than that. I'd love to be strong - not crazy muscled but able to do press ups, chin ups and lift a decent weight (I can barely carry my eldest child!) . So have put my rather feeble application in and well the worst that can happen is he says no and I'll have to learn to burpee on my own. Then try again.
Something he said really struck home - " You've recognized that you need to put yourself in a success environment. It's what i did. You are the product of the 5 people you spend most of your time around. You absolutely need to step into a success environment. You owe it to yourself. You need to stop being miserable. You need to stop making excuses. You need to take control. "
Right now I have no one in my daily life, not even at the gym that fully supports my primal/lifting regime - they either want to change my diet or want me to do more treadmill/cycling. My partner lives and works the other end of the country and I tend to go along with what he wants to do regarding food/drink when I do see him, my friends think I'm just a bit odd at this stage and as a result, I am just not seeing as much of them as I used to - mostly I'd see them out or have a meal. Now eating out is a hassle as I don't want to be the "special" one or like at Xmas, people criticised my choices. I think all of this helps create self doubt and has made it easy for me to go off track.
If I had people supporting me and pushing me to stick to serious clean eating and serious workouts, I think I could really suprise myself.

Breakfast - egg and coconut pancake. Finding these so easy to make and a one egg to one spoon coconut with a bit of almond milk or water, just enough for one fairly big pancake. 2 cups of tea.
Hours swim.
Starving afterwards and so I had my main meal - lamb chops, asparagus, snow peas and some sweet potato. Seriously delicious.
Making a roasted veg soup for dinner to have with some leftover baked ham.

Weigh in Wednesday is looming. Gym girl has said she is going to change my stats from average to athletic on the tanita scales. Not sure how this will alter bodyfat reading - just hope it has gone down. Feeling a bit trimmer around my belly, so fingers crossed.

All ready for a free cardmaking demo I'm doing in the morning at the local ICA. Hoping I can get a few women interested in a class - I have a room and table at home to teach them, just need the bodies. Trucked half my craft room out to the car (the packing up and unpacking bits are definitely the worst) and now about ready for bed.

IMG_2770.JPGIMG_2773.JPGIMG_2768.JPG

Eats this evening have been roasted veg soup and ham and a banana.
Going to have a cup of tea, 2 squares dark chocolate and 4 strawberries before bed.
So another good day down.

Breakfast - 2 rashers, 1 tomato and some asparagus
Lunch - spicy chicken peppers and broccoli
Dinner - cold chicken leg and 2 tomatoes
Snack - chunk of chorizo, 1/2 orange and an apple.
Tea

Took kids swimming - so not much exercise and the pool was cold but I did try some underwater swimming and it was quite tough. Couldn't quite make the length of the pool underwater but was suprised at how far I did get. Think it would be good for shoulders as a lot of resistance.
Half hour kettlebells class. Skinned my elbow after I "fell off" my kettlebells! We were using them to do a plank and then a row and I just crashed ... oops. I must learn to plank instead of being a plank ....

Just read a post on FB from a guy that has Motor neurone disease saying
[h=5]Cod, I miss eating. Sitting there watching everybody else eat. Breaks my heart.[/h]and here's me thinking how I don't think I could manage 2 days with 500 cals. Sort of brings dieting back into perspective - feel rather ridiculous about how "hard" I lament loosing weight is at times & how often I balls up. At least I have choices.

Heya back from disneyland, just had a skim through ur diary and looks like ur doing well xxx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Was Disneyland good? My kids are trying to pin me down to a date when I'll take them - just think youngest is still a bit too young at 4 & next summer might be better.

Struggling to shift the pounds with primal but it's my fault not the plan! I keep having too many off plan days but thankfully as doing more exercise than I did I've not gained any weight. At this point I'm much more interested in stripping fat - had weigh in and was 11 stone 1lb on Wednesday but when she did my body fat under the "athletic" profile it was 22%. On the average setting last time it was over 33% and I was only 3lb heavier! Not sure either is actually true - after looking at photos of people I'd guess I was more like 28% but I guess it gives me a base figure & I just have to get it lower.
Eating was all over the place Thursday and Friday ( had a toasted sandwich with real butter for breakfast on Friday - and of course it set me up for a day of carb binging - I was at my OH's and his salad box is a temple for mini chocolate bars and I worshipped frequently and devoutly in the bloody thing. Then it makes me feel crap and unwell, then I come home stay on track until next Thurs when I'll do it again).
Actually, no I wont. I'm going to break this bloody habit, it does me no good. Plan ahead and take some good primal eats, instead of trying to just "be good" & stick with my eating plan - regardless of what's in his fridge.
Kettlebells 30 mins, Ab work 15 mins and swim 45 mins on Friday night and jog around town and an hour swimming today.
Meal 1 - Steak, mushrooms, onions and sweet potato. Tangerine.
Herbal tea.
Snack - 1 tbsp tahini (is it primal? I assumed so as it's a seed - bought it as a lot cheaper than the nut butters but prefer the nut ones) with stick celery and half an apple.
Meal 2 - Steak and Vegetable stir fry.
Meal 3 - if needed. Roasted vegetable soup.

I think tahini is primal, it's just sesame seeds and as you say seeds are. If you're having it with vegetable dippers it's really nice if you whisk in a little bit of water, salt, and either fresh or roasted garlic puree. If having with fruit it's yummy with a drop of carob syrup mixed in - don't know if this is easy to find in the UK as I usually bring it back from Cyprus but I'd imagine you could use maple syrup or something instead.

Planning ahead is great, in the modern world we can't always just eat at our own houses all the time so whatever planning you can do for these situations will be helpful. :)

I think tahini is primal, it's just sesame seeds and as you say seeds are. If you're having it with vegetable dippers it's really nice if you whisk in a little bit of water, salt, and either fresh or roasted garlic puree. If having with fruit it's yummy with a drop of carob syrup mixed in - don't know if this is easy to find in the UK as I usually bring it back from Cyprus but I'd imagine you could use maple syrup or something instead.

Planning ahead is great, in the modern world we can't always just eat at our own houses all the time so whatever planning you can do for these situations will be helpful. :)

thanks for the suggestions - would never have thought of putting tahini with maple syrup - I can taste it already. And I love roasted garlic - so definitely try that, going to have a go at some coconut flour crackers for my Thursday breakout (or rather instead of it).

Oh tahini with maple syrup is just too good. Had it with celery, apples and carrots and a big carb treat of a proper jacket potato (so no protein with the meal in food combining mode - I've seen people having potato on the forum at Mark's daily Apple & have not had a jacket potato in months).
I ate a tub of Ben and Jerry's last night - so cross with myself. Felt fed up and lonely, after it I was pissed off, nauseous, fed up and lonely. Bah. So I've been listening to Tony Robbins on habit breaking whilst I was swimming (love my waterproof mp3 player I put Ted talks and motivational stuff on it rather than music - so it's like No Extra Time stuff & I do enjoy them - you can learn really interesting things on topics I'd never normally come into contact with) so on high alert for my triggers today!

Goals for April.
To get under 11 stone. (Never to return there)
Tweak primal to suit me - not much point in avoiding potatoes if I keep eating ice cream (which I don't even really like. My pet theory with this is the scarity rule. I don't buy ice cream as a rule and so when I go to my OH's house I'd occasionally "treat" myself to it - then I started buying it but I'd eat a bit and then leave it there. Now it's become "I must eat ice cream at his house "as it's the only time I get to eat it - as I still don't buy it for my home or perhaps more importantly for me.) I've gone from a tablespoon size portion to a whole bloody tub. Despite the fact that I can ALWAYS buy ice cream and CHOOSE not to - my brain seems to run a "eat ice cream while you have the chance" loop.

So - No Dairy. I have no problem with the theory behind this so it should be easy enough. No refined sugar. Ditto. No grains. Tweaking to a weekly bowl of porridge. No potato. Again in principle but not going to beat myself up for a jacket potato.

Drop 1.5 % body fat this month.
Daily ab work, planks and half press ups - 20 mins
Swim - 2 hours a week
Kettlebells - 3 by 30 min classes.

Kids came home as I was tucking into my coriander and carrot soup - one daughter took the bowl I was eating and finished it, then asked for more - other daughter polished off the rest! So much for thinking I had lunch for tomorrow sorted.
Went swimming this morning for an hour and did 3 by 500m flat out rows on rowing machine. Time 2 mins 8 secs. Will try again in 2 weeks and see how I time.
This evening I did Kettlercise for Women full body program and 8 min ab program using 5kg kettlebell. Just over an hour altogether.

Today I started Day 1 Week 1 of Kettleworx Resistance dvd. I like that is was fast, the reps were shorter than Kettlecise - but I assume this gets longer as you go through the weeks. But it was a change. Struggling with a really tight lower back and hip flexors, not sure whether to go see someone about it or just get the gym to give me exercises.
Kettlebell class was a different matter. Didn't like the new routines as I couldn't even lift my KB into some of the moves and it's a full class so there were no smaller ones spare. I think I was running on empty too - I'd had fruit and tea at breakfast, then veg soup at about 2pm but nothing after it & taken the kids swimming. It's wasn't purposely - time just ran out.
Just eaten a lovely dinner of grilled pork chop with a dark chocolate, chilli and olive oil reduction (sooooo good I might have it again tomorrow) broccoli and sweet potato. Couldn't finish the potato - which is really unlike me, trying to eat more mindfully - so it obviously worked.
Having a night out tomorrow - so budgeting for a few vodkas - over the course of the week I should be ok. Especially if I take up my friend's challenge to try a Whole 30 again. Might be easier with someone else doing it with me for encouragement.

Today I started Day 1 Week 1 of Kettleworx Resistance dvd. I like that is was fast, the reps were shorter than Kettlecise - but I assume this gets longer as you go through the weeks. But it was a change. Struggling with a really tight lower back and hip flexors, not sure whether to go see someone about it or just get the gym to give me exercises.
Kettlebell class was a different matter. Didn't like the new routines as I couldn't even lift my KB into some of the moves and it's a full class so there were no smaller ones spare. I think I was running on empty too - I'd had fruit and tea at breakfast, then veg soup at about 2pm but nothing after it & taken the kids swimming. It's wasn't purposely - time just ran out.
Just eaten a lovely dinner of grilled pork chop with a dark chocolate, chilli and olive oil reduction (sooooo good I might have it again tomorrow) broccoli and sweet potato. Couldn't finish the potato - which is really unlike me, trying to eat more mindfully - so it obviously worked.
Having a night out tomorrow - so budgeting for a few vodkas - over the course of the week I should be ok. Especially if I take up my friend's challenge to try a Whole 30 again. Might be easier with someone else doing it with me for encouragement.

Heya how's it going? No kettleworx doesn't get any longer on reps it's more about cardio. I didn't enjoy kettlercise found it really slow, u might find u need a larger weight on some exercises for kettleworx.

Have u started whole 30 what does it involve? Do u have to cut dairy as well? X

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi - I have taken up the Whole 30 challenge again. Currently on day 2 - and it is no dairy (apart from clarified butter) and also no natural sugars - except for the odd bit of juice to use in a recipe, rather than chugging back glasses of it.
Looking forward to it ... you're doing so well on primal - I've been struggling to loose as enjoy the food a bit too much - hope this will reset things and actually having a preworkout meal will probably help me too, more but smaller meals - and it is only 30 days ...

Hope your whole 30 goes well! Eating more mindfully too is a great thing you're tackling, it's something I really struggle with. 'Oh, where did my dinner go? Ho hum' :D

I really like kettleworx; my routine is all shot to heck at the moment because of my new job but I am hoping to get back to it in a month or two. It really made an amazing difference to my shape as well as minimising lower back pain - because of my health I only did core and resistance. Different strokes for different folks but I like that it's so short and also that Ryan is encouraging rather than a boot camp type instructor (which doesn't sit well with me personally!). :) Hope you enjoy it!

If you're having stiffness I suggest doing extra stretching at the end of kettleworx as his segment is very short and not as comprehensive as it might be. My two favourite stretch routines are 8 Minute Stretch (available on youtube last time I checked - you'll know it's the right one if everyone is in very 80s/90s leotards, and the man says 'hey gang!' a lot) which I do after kettleworx, and A.M./P.M. Stretch DVD which has two half hour routines (one more energetic, one more relaxing) that really stretch every part of your body. It's available on Amazon but is region 1 only. I love doing the P.M. stretch after work and find I sleep better as my back and hips are not so stiff. If I do it regularly then it really helps both of these areas.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely look up the stretches. Gutted that they have altered all the classes at the gym and the kettlebells are now all evening - so I can only make one of them, so will definitely be using Kettleworx more. I've only done resistance 3 times but I'm enjoying it and if I do need/want a longer workout I have kettlecise as well.

Got all optimistic about the weather today - made a 3 egg and beef frittata with carrots and sweet potatoes plus a tropical fruit salad - packed it up and went to the park for breakfast .... we ate in the car .... it was freezing. This was a victory as neither I nor my girls eat eggs & I've been looking for creative ways to add eggs into our diet (they wont eat almond or coconut pancakes and my eldest is piling on weight faster than I can say weight watchers - and it's all flour/sugar related - I'm not just witch hunting flour, she was at her dad's yesterday and had pasta and sugar for breakfast (like wtf!!!?! - he chronic cardios and works out about 3/4 hours A DAY & so can eat that stuff and therefore thinks it is fine) with pancakes and black pudding, lunch was spaghetti, sausage, toast and tart at nan's then tea, bread and cakes in the afternoon and that's not even counted as a meal. It's no wonder she comes home and fights with me about bread. And I admit they do have pasta, potato or noodles at most meals here but tons of veg and protein but she still always looks for extra of whatever the carb is. She doesn't have fizzy drinks & fruit juice maybe 3 times a week . I know I have to get a handle on it now - her diet looks like the food pyramid but it's clearly not working. This bloody awful weather doesn't help, walking or cycling every evening would be ideal but gale force winds and rain are relentless. I just know I am not going to ignore it - and it is for her own good. Sorry, I went off on a bit of a rant there ...
Had a swim for an hour and home for my lunch. Hunted around the house for pine nuts I know I have, gave up on pine nuts ... made zoodles with a hazelnut, olive oil, garlic and orange dressing then threw in some walnuts for crunch. It was rather nice - better than I expected! Followed by a yellow peach I got on clearance in Dunnes (they're only ripe when out of date this time of year).
I have a wedding card to make, so should get onto that and at the moment have no idea what dinner might entail. I have chicken, steak and mince in the fridge - so of course I fancy lamb ;-)

I make pancakes with arrowroot powder - come out like crepes

1T arrowroot powder
2T water
Mix till no lumps
Add 2 eggs
1.5 tsp oil (almond oil?)
tsp vanilla
Pinch salt
Whisk well

A little oil in pan (small pan) and cook :)
Makes about 6 small ones
Taste yummy

Portion is for 1 adult - double for more people

I've cut pasta and bread out of my boys diets / they have mainly rice and potatoes. Lunches for my oldest when at school 1 slice of bread with ham, plenty salad! Pasta maybe 1-2 month / they have stopped complaining almost lol

Friday/ weekend can have a few Chocolates and sweet but not during the week, same with biscuits .. It's hard work, saying NO!!

I have changed to spelt flour for baking - as somethings really don't taste the same, it's better than normal wheat flour but not by much. :)

I have got a cupcake recipe that has lots if different flours - plus a little bit of spelt flour

I've changed their snack box to nuts, popcorn and fruit and during holidays a few rice crackers, and wheat crackers with no added sugar - the things they add sugar to !

I found Rachel's organic kids yogurts have no added sugar / but have fruit juice added - looking at other leading brand yogurts the sugar content is down and they have less other stuff added :)

Also found this online

image-3852322960.jpg

following primal blueprint and experimenting with the 5:2 fasting diet

Back