Spangly's tough love slim and save bootcamp!

I think it would really help me to take up some fun exercise again. Ketosis must have kicked in properly as I suddenly had an urge to go cycling this morning with my girls. We just go round the local park a few times but it all counts and more importantly it was good fun! Might go back to Zumba in a week or two... Or start C2K again if the mood strikes. But this time I am being kind to myself. As soon as I start thinking I 'should' or 'ought' then my rebellious child goes into overdrive.

Day five!!

No significant size differences yet but I'm putting that down to TOTM bloating (lovely!). Just so happy to be back on track and looking forward to seeing the figure on the scales coming down...

Just back from my WI and lost 5.6kgs. Such a great feeling. Very happy that the scales are down but probably getting more from the fact of a week at 100%. Spangly, so glad you started this thread -100% is actually much easier once ketosis kicks in. Abstinence is abstinence for a reason and the positive spin is it relieves me of all the bargaining.

I'm also lucky in having a supportive OH. I was single the last time I did this so I could completely clear my cupboards. We have only been living together since January and a think all the cosy, food related stuff is a big part of the weight gain. He seems genuinely unconcerned about my size but is right behind me and even though I originally said it would be a month is quite happy for me to continue with this as long as I want. He's been eating out or making his own meals. I just put the bin out and noticed a few half loaves of bread he has thrown away so I am not tempted. Like your husband weasey, he is losing weight through exercise and I am also hoping to hang on his fitness coat tails when I am ready. I'm now committing to carrying on until Christmas and reviewing then. I know how easy it is for a planned break to throw people off course so it feels like a big decision. I got to goal before on 23 November and was sufficiently along Route to Management to enjoy Christmas without going off plan. I actually continued to lose weight. I still have the old food diaries online so I could go back and eat the same as I did then (I love the way ideas come to you when you are writing- this posting is good for me!)
Spangly, hope you are feeling a bit better than yesterday and benefitting from the early night. You should be proud of yourself. Keep at it - so worth it on WI day.

Spanglymum said:
I think it would really help me to take up some fun exercise again. Ketosis must have kicked in properly as I suddenly had an urge to go cycling this morning with my girls. We just go round the local park a few times but it all counts and more importantly it was good fun! Might go back to Zumba in a week or two... Or start C2K again if the mood strikes. But this time I am being kind to myself. As soon as I start thinking I 'should' or 'ought' then my rebellious child goes into overdrive.

I think you're spot on Spangly. It's about having fun and doing what you feel like. There is no 'should' or 'ought'. When I was doing the diet before I didn't exercise at all. At first it was because I didn't want to and later it was because I was advised not to because of the calories I was on - even though I was bursting with energy! As soon as I stopped the diet I was straight in there. My point is that you could lose all of your excess weight without exercise and if you choose not to do any at the end then that's ok - you've improved your heal - you don't need to be perfect and do everything you think society thinks you should do. Do what you fancy when you fancy it.

This time I am continuing to exercise, because I don't want to give it up - what a change! But I have stopped all heavy cardio, like spin and interval training, as that seems sensible.

It's great that you're 5 days in - only 2 days to weigh in!!

@Clinquant - Fantastic loss!! So pleased for you! A week at 100% is a great achievement.

I saw so many people disappear after Christmas. Most of them seemed to be intending to have planned breaks. Some people can go off the diet and get back on without trouble but I don't think that's me. When I was doing the diet over Christmas I had a protein meal and veg for the dinner and packs the rest of the day. I had a wonderful day. It's interesting how events which are so associated with food can be transformed in your mind by deliberately going through them eating very little. No-one else seemed to mind and I certainly didn't.

Clinquant, that's an amazing loss. Well done!!

Weasey, when I was on LL I stuck to it 100%, including over Christmas, and I'm sure that was one of the reasons for my success. I, like you, saw so many people (in my LL group and on here) who never returned from their 'planned break'. I think when you're in ketosis and sailing along, it's very easy to underestimate how mentally taxing that first week can be. I know I've done that myself twice this year at least. Not making that mistake this time (determined face)!!

I'm hoping to have got to goal before Christmas, but if not I will choose to stick with it I think. This year has been so unnecessarily miserable for me. If I'd stuck to plan earlier in the year... Anyway. What's done is done. I'm also digging out lots of low carb recipes. If I'm at goal I don't want to spoil it again. It helps that the centrepiece of the meal and a few of the sides (mentioning no specifics as no food talk here!) are low carb anyway.

Monday. Ugh. What's helping though is the pride of my first weekend 100%, three good nights of sleep, and the anticipation of WI on Wednesday. Hope everyone has a great day!

Yes, I'm not loving Monday either. Thought I would treat myself to half an hour with my Brene Brown book at lunchtime (rarely take a break) and ended up with people finding my quiet spot and talking work. I also managed to confuse a pea and ham pack with a strawberry one so a hot lumpy shake went straight down the sink!!
My coaching client has cancelled for tonight so I'm thinking of a swim. Bit concerned about the lack of energy but going to have a pack before and then aim for 10 lengths and see how that feels. Would like to do some exercise this time. Didn't do any before as I found it made me hungry but no reason not to try it out this time. My other half was going to swim at his gym but I might persuade him to come with me.

Hope the Monday blues are lifting and everyone is having a good day.

I'd love to join please. The title of the thread caught my attention because I really need some tough love at times. Now, being one of them!

I lost 50 lbs with weight watchers but needed to lose a bit quicker to fit in my wedding dress so started on S&S. I lost 20 lbs in three and a half weeks (stayed 100% the whole time) and then got married. I had a month off and gained 12 lbs so started back with S&S two weeks ago. I lost 8 lbs the first week and 3 lbs last week. I'm not doing it 100 % though and find myself constantly allowing myself to cheat (four times in two weeks)
Today is day one.....again! This thread has made me feel empowered and reminded me of a few home truths.

Hi Embo. For me this diet is 100% or not at all - I'm not good at allowing myself to go a little off plan...

Monday has been treating me well so far. Busy at work so that was good. My oatmeal looked shocking this morning as I forgot to take an appropriate bowl to work and had to guess the amount of water - but it tasted fine. My spicy spaghetti for lunch did get my boss asking what on earth it was (again - wrong amount of water) but it tasted fine and someone else told me it smelt lovely. I was hungry in the afternoon - lots of hot coffee helped...

This evening I've done an abs class and will be meeting friends for pilates later. I'd normally be doing a spin class right now but I'm laying off the cardio whilst I'm on the diet. I love my exercise now and couldn't give it up during the diet completely... A bit of gentle swimming should be fine. Just remember to be kind to yourself. Stop if you get dizzy or exhausted. Take a bar with you so hat you can eat it straight away if you have a bad reaction. I didn't exercise at all during my big diet period and I still lost weight quickly. If you kill yourself with exercise you won't lose weight any quicker and you're more likely to get fed up and give the whole thing up.

Hi, embo, and welcome!

I've been struggling today. Not sure what triggered me, apart from a mix up about meetings etc at work, which entailed a long round trip - but I did thankfully make it to school for my youngest's first day!

Absolutely shattered tonight, despite several nights of improved sleep. It makes me realise how much I prop myself up with caffeine and sugar day-to-day. I haven't succumbed though. Just will go to bed about 8:30 I think. Given that my alarm wakes me about 5:30 (it is at least one of those lovely daylight ones, so quite gentle) I suppose it makes sense. Maybe I try to fit too much into every day? (The reason for the 5:30 start is that I need to be on the road by 6:30 to beat the traffic and I need time to wake up. Nothing worse for my mood than being woken quickly from a deep sleep!)

Very very proud of myself for not caving, especially as I was on my own in the house for about and hour earlier and the thought of raiding the cupboards crossed my mind. I knew it would make me feel rubbish though so resisted.

Feel very bloated :-(. I think things will seem better in the morning after some good sleep.

How's everyone else getting on?

Hi Embo I'm finding this thread really helpful - it's good to be with a group of people who mean business (even if we don't feel like that all the time:))

Tiredness is such a trigger. I think we just need to give in to the need for early nights. Today I have sometimes felt as if I could barely lift my feet at times yet came home and completely organised a wardrobe. Can anyone explain the need to clear cupboards in abstinence? Actually I know there is definitely a link between weight 'clutter' and clutter in general. Have definitely had to dig deep today - fortunately there isn't much to tempt me in the house and my work colleagues have noticeably kept the snacks hidden.

Well done guys for not caving. I had my first potential wobble today. I think I should avoid the bars as I find them very morish - which is bad. I resisted but only just. 100% - I think we should all be proud!

Lol re need to tidy cupboards in abstinence: me too! And yes there's definitely something in the weight/ clutter analogy.

Weasey, I know I'm better off not having the bars because they (a) trigger me, (b) bloat me up mahoosively and (c) cause havoc with my digestion (TMI, sorry!). The LL ones were fine, but sns ones don't agree with me at all.

So I slept. Boy, did I sleep! Could have done with a bit more, to be honest. 8:30 til 6am (slept through my alarm!!) wow. A few more nights like that and the world better watch out!!

Day seven today. I'd been thinking I would weigh tomorrow but I suppose today is seven days... Just anxious about weighing and seeing a disappointing figure. Hmm. It's only 'disappointing' if I label it as such, isn't it? The weight is a fact. I can choose how to interpret that fact...

Can I just say I'm so glad there's a whole bunch of us committed to doing this 100%. Thanks for joining me. You've helped me get through week one!

Last edited:
Weigh in Spangly - worrying about it is worse than knowing. You should be hugely proud of your 100%. :)

Unfortunately for my cupboards I tend to use my energy in other ways whilst in ketosis... But if any of you feel like coming over and sorting my house out you're very welcome!

I've decided to take all my bars to work and just have a spare one in the car, one in the handbag and one in the gym bag. That covers me for emergencies and takes away the temptation. I'm not buying them again!

I think I'm with you on the bars. Although I'm doing LL I bought a trial pack of Slim and Save as my counsellor is only seeing returners and had got a bit low on stock of some of my favourites. I had one of the bars with a view to going swimming and actually felt a bit ill. I did get a few LL peanut bars which I was always OK with, but I think they will also be a bottom of the bag emergency thing. I do get a bit nasty if I go too long without a pack.

As for disappointing weight losses; disappointment is a week of faffing about and having to start again. You know it will work and much faster than any other alternative. Think what you would say to someone else in the same situation.

Good to start clocking up weeks instead of days. 100% definitely working for me.

You're so right, clinquant. Here's to no more faffing about and just getting this sorted!

Will weigh tomorrow morning (I always do morning weigh-ins as I find I gain a lot during the day from water).

Just weighed in. Oh. My. God!!! 15lb off!!! Still reeling from the shock and excitement. Is that even possible?! Lol. Wow. Go me!!

Just wanted to say, clinquant, well done on not using the meeting as an excuse to go off plan (something I've been guilty of on many occasions, buying carbs to eat in the car on the way home :( How does that help, exactly? makes me sad thinking about it) and I hope you have a fab night out tonight. Your friends sound lovely.

Back