Treat Night / Cheat Night

And as much as I admire someone that can do it 24/7 365 days a year, I don't actually know anyone that does this. I organise meals out, get togethers etc for a Tuesday for after my WI rather than blowing it at weekends which means I have lived my life and still lost. It keeps me incontrol and if on a Saturday I feel like a takeaway or some choccy then I think ''no, I'll wait til Tuesday'' and it so far has worked. x

I know a few people from my group who do this and indeed can get away with it, but I never dare!

As my previous Consultant said once, everything you consume after this weeks' weigh in counts towards next weeks'! Eek!!

I think it depends on the individual...

This is my 5th week and so far I've not done a treat night or anything! Know i'd have to work harder to shift the lbs for the next week! x

This is my 5th week and so far I've not done a treat night or anything! Know i'd have to work harder to shift the lbs for the next week! x

Thank you! Someone who gets it.

It is perfectly possible to have a chinese, or a chocolate bar or a glass of wine after weigh in as part of your daily syns. Thats what they are there for!

There are loads of people who manage ot stick to it 100% of the time . in fact, if you really feel the need to eat more than 15 syns after weigh in occassionally just decide (before hand) to have a flexi syn day. Set a limit on the syn front and stop when you get there. I did this a few weekends ago as it was a valentines meal I was cooking - the meal was 15 syns, and the wine as 25 syns. 40 syns in total for the day. 10 syns a day for the rest of the week. Lost 1lb.

SW is about you changing your eating habits for life. Having a fat laden chinese, followed by a chocolate bar and a glass of wine once or twice a week is what got you here in the first place . How can you expect to change anything if you can't change that?

I weigh in on a Saturday morning and I do the same - take Saturday and Sunday a bit easier. But in general I am taking my attitude to food a bit differently. I am tired of the tyranny of the scales (bathroom and kitchen ones). I'm 51 and have been "dieting" pretty much all my life. Guess what? After all those years, I've sort of got it sussed. The Slimming World approach is very sensible but I think there's a few points missing. And I resent hugely some of the comments that come from some members of this site who seem to think they are dealing with idiots.

On the previous thread about this I saw someone (apologies I can't remember who!) make a very good point- the whole point of slimming world is to not feel deprived so you stop rewarding yourself with food. I buy myself a nail varnish if I reach a mini target. My ultimate reward when I get to target is to have a dress custom made for my brothers wedding. Nothing wrong with a flexi syns night, but really can't understand the people who go straight to the kebab shop after weigh in each week for a blow out. I think as soon as they stop going to group it will all come back on again as they haven't changed their way of thinking.

I have what I call 'treat night' after weigh in (tonight). I'll have a mushroom biryani, glass of wine occasionally & if I feel really naughty a chocolate bar too! I allow 30 - 45 syns for this which i never use & then I have 10 a day the rest of the week so I'm still on plan & within my 105. If I have a weekend meal out or something I re-jiggle my syns a bit & save them for that.

Pre-sw I would've had a creamy chicken dish, rice, side & naan bread but mushroom biryani is the lowest syn meal I can find at 11.5syns (although i count 18 as it weighs 650g not 420g like the book says), so I think I'm doing pretty well with that. So yes I 'treat' but I don't cheat cuz I pay for class & can't stand to waste money!!! x

I have syn free Saturday as Dh calls it. Basically i have lunch out with Dh and the kids (he works away so its our thing) and have whatever usually kfc and not worry about syns. The way i look at it is that important eating how i want to live and not get into a diet mentality so when i get to target i won't start binging on things i wouldn't allowmyself while 'dieting'.so hopefully i can break my yo yo cycle.
I eat to plan during the wk and allow myself 15 syns which sometimes i use sometimes i don't. I started going to the gym 3x a week and the weight is coming off slowly so figure i might just be able to maintain this time.

I weigh myself Mon mornings. I wouldn't do after weigh in treats unless you have always had a takeaway or something as trying room break habit of rewarding myself with food. Iv never given myself so many manicures before :)

Welshtigger said:
Altho, if you've always done it, how do you know it hasn't effected your losses!! You may have lost more if you'd not had it ;)

Well I don't but I've always had a good weight loss each week,and I go to the gym 3 times a week and am much more active than I was before SW, I've lost 4 stone up to now and that's by having a fat laden treat every wi day :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I don't have a treat every Tuesday (my weigh day)

the only time I do is if I get into the next stone bracket and I usually have something like a pizza. Even then it's not every time- sometimes I go out for a meal in the week instead and allow myself 1 meal. That's my treat.

I wouldn't by any means do it every week. But I seem to do ok with the occasional treat. I say to myself- if I want that pizza/meal then I have to *earn* it- by getting into the next stone bracket. So in 6.5lb time- who knows? ;)

I don't follow the plan as strictly as I do the rest of the week on weigh day. For example today I fancied weetabix with some honey on for brekky (gutted that regular weetabix are not a HEXB), i had a mug shot, apple and banana for lunch, for tea I had my 3.5 syn spag bol with rice (was going to be syn free chilli, but it turns out we've eaten it all! and the rice was already cooking too) and I've just had some rich tea fingers with my brew, oh and my treat was a row of 5 chunks off a big dairy milk, I had a major choccy craving, which I haven't had for a bit. So I haven't kept strict track of what I've eaten, but at the same time, I've made sure I haven't gone overboard. Tomorrow It's back to counting and being 100%

No cheating here ... Yet. I'm in it to win it x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I think theres a MASSIVE difference between a cheat night and a treat night. To me theyre 2 very very different things. When I did WW I always saved points up for my wi day and if I lost I used them on a Chinese takeaway etc. That was my TREAT for a good week. It was something different but completely within the plan.

A cheat to me would have been (again using WW as an example) having used my points for the day but having something else to eat anyway - going off plan

2 totally different things IMO. Absolutely nothing wrong with a weekly TREAT but a weekly CHEAT - well thats when your diet goes out the window :)

I think theres a MASSIVE difference between a cheat night and a treat night. To me theyre 2 very very different things. When I did WW I always saved points up for my wi day and if I lost I used them on a Chinese takeaway etc. That was my TREAT for a good week. It was something different but completely within the plan.

A cheat to me would have been (again using WW as an example) having used my points for the day but having something else to eat anyway - going off plan

2 totally different things IMO. Absolutely nothing wrong with a weekly TREAT but a weekly CHEAT - well thats when your diet goes out the window :)

that's a point.

i don't see how, even "cheating" is cheating. It's only cheating, surely, if you do something to speed up weight loss that's not actually SW (if you're on SW)

Like, say, you're 2lb from target so you chop a limb off- THAT'S cheating.

What you're doing, as Starlight said, is going off plan or just not following SW. that's not cheating, that's just affecting your weight loss negatively by not doing what's suggested.

I wouldn't cheat...I'm quite attached to my body parts ;)

I would say that maybe it's a positive thing to have a treat night each week and i do so myself on weigh day. Generally i have a evening meal after weigh in of whatever i fancy, although i do make sure its a sensible portion of said thing and a small chocolate bar......that evening meal could be anything from a chinese to cooking a lasagna using regular cheese etc or maybe a kebab...

In my opinion it is a good idea to do something a little off plan now and again as successful diet isn't about limiting the things you can eat 100% of the time but rather 90% of the time or whatever it is and still accepting that it's ok to enjoy a takeaway or pizza now and again.

It's healthy to have the occasional treat, not so healthy to completely deny yourself ever having the thing you most want on a resteraunt menu because its a few too many syns or a night out here and there :)

Ive not found that it really has an effect on my weight loss and it never triggers a binge or anything like that. I just enjoy it and then make sure i behave for the rest of the week. Kinda helps me stay on track too knowing that if i do fancy something a little higher in syn im allowing myself to etc....

I'm sure not everyone feels the same as i do but hey ho :) thats just my take on things anyway

Well said. My Tuesday nights are what keeps me going! Like I said, some of the members at my class go home and eat rubbish ALL day whereas I limit my naughtiness to Tuesday night dinner. When I get nearer to target though I will cut it out or maybe incorporate ion my syns I just find at the weekend if I fancy something I have the Tuesday to look forward to and keep myself on track.
I know if I didnt have these treats then I could have lost more, but weighing up ( no pun intended) the pros and cons I am glad that I have still been able to go out for meals etc without having to go for the ultra healthy option. x

Back