Treat Night / Cheat Night

I'm no longer doing SW but WW and I have 80% of my propoints weeklies and have then on a Friday (my WI) to have a takeaway at night, I'm 12lbs down since 2 Jan and 7.5" inches off, so i am happy with that arrangement. It helps to keep me motivated and sticking to plan all week because I know what I have to look foward to. I'm sure the nearer I get the goal weight I might need to rethink that, but for the moment it works.

Starlight said:
I think theres a MASSIVE difference between a cheat night and a treat night. To me theyre 2 very very different things. When I did WW I always saved points up for my wi day and if I lost I used them on a Chinese takeaway etc. That was my TREAT for a good week. It was something different but completely within the plan.

A cheat to me would have been (again using WW as an example) having used my points for the day but having something else to eat anyway - going off plan

2 totally different things IMO. Absolutely nothing wrong with a weekly TREAT but a weekly CHEAT - well thats when your diet goes out the window :)

The difference is Starlight, that you were using your daily or weekly points for it, not using extras! Though i think you prob should have been having it regardless of the weigh in result. That way you don't associate food as a reward for being good. But what you were doing is not the same as eating whatever you want after weigh in.

As someone said earlier, you are only cheating yourself if you go off plan after weigh in.

I honestly don't get why people feel the need to do this, and it annoys me to see people justifying doing it as 'its the only way i can stick to plan' because patently by doing it you aren't stickig to an. I get how it can be difficult to stick to plan if you aren't 'in the zone'. Been there myself a fair few times, but i would never justify a off plan day by saying i needed it to stick to the plan. You're lying to yourself if you do,

The longer I do SW the less I agree with having a night off after weigh in. And I definitely dont agree with having a whole DAY off!

I do however, have a bar of chocolate after tea or a piece of cake... but like others have said, I have saved syns for this so its still within the plan.

If you're having a 'binge' once a week or after weigh it doesnt sound to me like you're dealing with the reasons you are on SW in the first place.
('you' refers to no-one in particular by the way...)

Yes, but surely it's best to allocate something you want to just one meal? I know dozens of people that fail because they try to be so good and the urge takes over and then they end up blowing it and dont get back on plan. I am always focussed and raring to go on a Wednesday , last night for example I had fish and chips and went to the cinema and had some popcorn but today I am straight back in the zone. I am very good the rest of the week though and any syns are spent on the odd vodka and diet coke or mayo or gravy on meals. It's all about moderation and a person that doesnt need to lose weight, I am assuming, wouldnt have a takeaway every night opf the week would they? I also dont agree with bingeing - thats why on a Tuesday I have a SW lunch and dinner that I would have any toher day of the week really.
I am 18 pounds away from target and do realise that when I have less than a stone to lose then I will curtail my treats / cheats to maybe once a month x

But isn't this what syns are for? Have a treat night, use your syns. My 'skinny' friends who aren't on sw do this without knowing it, everything in moderation. Eating off plan for one in seven, plus having all your syns for the week isn't practicing moderation IMO, it's still overeating. Flexi Syn if you know you've got a special occasion & can't save syns.

However, each to their own & if it means you stay on plan 6 out of 7 better you do that than give up entirely. & if you're still losing then good for you. I know if I have a meal off plan every week I'll struggle to maintain when I reach target.

Good luck in your journey however you do it though, even one day on plan is better than none so I'm not going to criticise how people do it, I just think sw gave us syns for a reason - to manage our intake of 'naughty' food :) xx

Yes, but surely it's best to allocate something you want to just one meal? I know dozens of people that fail because they try to be so good and the urge takes over and then they end up blowing it and dont get back on plan. I am always focussed and raring to go on a Wednesday , last night for example I had fish and chips and went to the cinema and had some popcorn but today I am straight back in the zone. I am very good the rest of the week though and any syns are spent on the odd vodka and diet coke or mayo or gravy on meals. It's all about moderation and a person that doesnt need to lose weight, I am assuming, wouldnt have a takeaway every night opf the week would they? I also dont agree with bingeing - thats why on a Tuesday I have a SW lunch and dinner that I would have any toher day of the week really.
I am 18 pounds away from target and do realise that when I have less than a stone to lose then I will curtail my treats / cheats to maybe once a month x

I agree with you, I have been doing sw for nearly 8 weeks and I am 2lb away from the 2 stone mark! I save vertually all my syns from the week to have a few vodkas or a take away on the weekend event though i weigh myself on a monday :eek: I knw what im doing in that way isnt probly the best, but atleast i am enjoying sw and really sticking to it during the week and getting gains from it! :D

And sometimes life does get in the way. If friends suggest a meal out, I want to go out and really enjoy it - not pay £30 for something I could have cooked at home lol so I may as well coincide this with the day I have been weighed.
Lots of interesting points here so thank you all - everybody is different and I certainly don't feel I am lying to myself or cheating myself when it's something I have always done and have managed to lose a substantial amount of weight doing this.
A mouthfull or crisps, a cheeky spread of butter, the broken biscuit , the extra few ounces from the cheese portion - that's cheating yourself when not accounted for x

Well welshtigger - if you have a treat after your weigh-in - and are fully aware of what you are doing - there is NO way you are cheating yourself!!! How do you work that one out then????:confused:

It's really interesting how many contrasting viewpoints there can be on one small subject but this thread is really interesting :)

I think one thing that people neglect to take into account when they say things like "you shouldn't reward yourself with food" and other things along those lines is that the majority of people are doing slimming world because for however long before they joined the things which should have been treats had become far too regular and chocolates/crisps/takeaways or whatever each persons vice had become staples in their diet....

I guess what i'm trying to get at is that maybe having a meal i don't worry about so much each week (although as i said in my previous post it is never massively over the 15 syns) is in fact doing more for changing my relationship with food than not having it....

Now i know that not everyone will agree and the way i do things may work for me but not everyone else, i'm not saying its right either but it's a very personal journey tackling your individual food issues. That one night a week where im a bit more relaxed helps me to define the boundaries between the foods which i should be enjoying on a day to day basis and the ones which make a nice treat to have occasional.

As i get closer to target i might have to rethink this of course tp help me get over the stubborn last few lbs but i guess i've found what works for me and thats probably the best way to success, we are all different after all :)

Its definitely a very individual issue. Some people have bad habits so ingrained that they cant go for even a few days without eating some of the stuff that made them fat in the first place. I was like that myself when I first started.

But weight gain/loss issues aside, I no longer have a night off as it made me realise what I was doing to my body-when the next day I felt as if I had been on a very drunken night out!!
Whatever I ate off plan would make me feel pretty bad, I wouldnt be able to sleep from heart palpitations, dry mouth, unbelievable thirst etc etc. It made me realise just how bad this type of food is for my body- my insides, and why would I want to eat it!

I dont judge anyone, this is just my experience and my point of view. x

To be fair Mirrakel i can also completely see that side of things too as we've taken to home-cooking our treat dinner as when we've had takeaways since starting SW they haven't lived up to what we hoped and we never really enjoyed them like we used to (me and my best friend who i joined with) i remember the first time we had pizza since joining we just found it really stodgy and bland and i 100% agree with the feeling sluggish after eating takeaways.....at the time we just convinced ourselves that our chinese had changed how they cook the food or something silly but looking back it was most probably us that had changed :)

shortcake said:
Well welshtigger - if you have a treat after your weigh-in - and are fully aware of what you are doing - there is NO way you are cheating yourself!!! How do you work that one out then????:confused:

Excuse me!!! What's that about?? Why has my name been brought into it?

Welshtigger said:
Thanks-I knew I'd seen one-thought I was going mad lol

Welshtigger said:
Altho, if you've always done it, how do you know it hasn't effected your losses!! You may have lost more if you'd not had it ;)
They were the only things I posted on this thread
shortcake said:
Totally confused what you are referring to-can anyone shed any light please??? Thanks muchly xx

But surely with SW, every day can be a treat day! I eat chcolate every single day, and often have my 2nd HEB in the form of a chocolate Hifi bar. Sometimes I have crisps instead of chocolate, or a takeaway.

I used to enjoy a treat after weigh in & I'll tell you why - my C ADVISED me to! I'd hit a major plateau for a couple of months & was either sts or gaining. She told me I was being too strict, yet I was just sticking to plan. SW too strict? = me thinks not. :confused:

Anyway she told me to slacken off the night after weigh in, the strangest thing was it actually worked & it seemed to kickstart my metabolism, it was the only way I'd lose weight the next week. This isn't something I stuck with as after a few months it didn't work like that anymore.

I only did it because of strong advice from my C. SW is about fitting into everyday life & if for you that means wanting something seriously naughty then have a flexi & plan it, don't just go crazy with syns.

As said by a few others, you shouldn't need to rely on food as a reward. Find other ways to treat yourself. Any who have extra treats may find their losses are better if they try sticking to plan the whole 7 days.

They were the only things I posted on this thread

Totally confused what you are referring to-can anyone shed any light please??? Thanks muchly xx

I'm mystified too!

stivesliz said:
I think shortcake may have been referring to a different comment and put your name in by accident?

Yeah but where would they have got my name from??? That's the confusing bit!!!

Back