Vix New Diet Diary!

Hey Vix,

Thought I'd join the party :)

With HM food it depends on what you're making:
- With chips, weigh your portion raw and take the calories for that (plus any ingredients you use for cooking).
- For meals, use the recipe builder on MFP, you input all the raw ingredients and how many portions it makes and it gives you the calories per portion.

You also need to seperate weight loss and healthy in your head. You can lose weight eating MaccieD's as long as you're keeping your deficit - but it might not be the healthiest thing going.

ALTHOUGH tracy has lost her weight living off ready meals - she doesn't cook. So you're in good company :D

Yay, welcome. The more the merrier :)

Thank you so much, you're very helpful. Only thing is finding out the calories, I heard someone say about mfp not being that accurate lol, I think I think too much into it. I love ready meals, they're way more convenient for me to take to work and throw in the mic! Hope I get the hang of it soon :)

Mmm I want maccies now lol :drool:

Tell tale, lol. :D Joking apart, I was going to say that myself - I really do live off ready meals, I don't cook! They're just so easy, and I know what calories I'm having. I just add a portion of steam in the microwave veg and it makes a good meal. My current favourite is the Tesco Chicken and Stuffing Bake at 357 calories. :) xx

I'm going to make a trip to iceland and get the lighter choices ready meals for work aha, the cals are quite alright in them too :) x

Hope you are having a good day. You're getting some excellent advice from all the CCing ladies on your thread, almost makes me want to try it again. :D

Thanks Patsy, I'm coping lol. Yeah these ladies are great, just the help I need with all these calorie questions lol.
Hope you're having a good day :) x

Yay, welcome. The more the merrier :)

Thank you so much, you're very helpful. Only thing is finding out the calories, I heard someone say about mfp not being that accurate lol, I think I think too much into it. I love ready meals, they're way more convenient for me to take to work and throw in the mic! Hope I get the hang of it soon :)

Mmm I want maccies now lol :drool:

I had a Maccies breakfast (quite a common occurence for me :D ) The new McRib thingy is making me curious though!

Here's the thing about calories - a calorie is a the measure for the unit of energy released when a food item is burnt (burned... I dunno) - which depends on various bits and pieces, down to for example how much nitrate is in the soil when the veggies are grown. The calories for any given foodstuff will be an average of the various calorie amounts for that foodstuff. Therefore what you're doing when you log is collating various averages, lumping them together and hoping that it evens out. It's all guesswork.

In terms of getting the right calorie count, packaging for most things (even fresh fruit and veg) has calories per 100g on it, which will give you ballpark figures. On MFP, go for the member confirmed options. It's all trial and error, if something seems to good to be true a quick google will confirm or deny it.

I do love a good ready meal - I have one for dinner, but I'm also a proper lover of cooking - so once I've moved house I'm hoping to get back into my old SW habits of cooking everything (and I mean everything) from scratch and having my own ready meals in the freezer :)

Sorry for stealing your thunder on the big ready meal reveal Tracy :p

I had a Maccies breakfast (quite a common occurence for me :D ) The new McRib thingy is making me curious though!

Here's the thing about calories - a calorie is a the measure for the unit of energy released when a food item is burnt (burned... I dunno) - which depends on various bits and pieces, down to for example how much nitrate is in the soil when the veggies are grown. The calories for any given foodstuff will be an average of the various calorie amounts for that foodstuff. Therefore what you're doing when you log is collating various averages, lumping them together and hoping that it evens out. It's all guesswork.

In terms of getting the right calorie count, packaging for most things (even fresh fruit and veg) has calories per 100g on it, which will give you ballpark figures. On MFP, go for the member confirmed options. It's all trial and error, if something seems to good to be true a quick google will confirm or deny it.

I do love a good ready meal - I have one for dinner, but I'm also a proper lover of cooking - so once I've moved house I'm hoping to get back into my old SW habits of cooking everything (and I mean everything) from scratch and having my own ready meals in the freezer :)

Sorry for stealing your thunder on the big ready meal reveal Tracy :p

Yh my other halfs been going on about the McRib lol makes me want to try it.

Thanks for explaining that to me makes more sense now aha. My other halfs mom cooks but because I'm cal counting, I don't get how I can work her meals out as I don't really know how much stuff she uses etc, like for instance she's going to make a spag Bol today...I'd love some but she does big portions too and I only have about 1300 left today lol. I hope I can start estimating her meals, but don't want to go over either :(

Yh my other halfs been going on about the McRib lol makes me want to try it.

Thanks for explaining that to me makes more sense now aha. My other halfs mom cooks but because I'm cal counting, I don't get how I can work her meals out as I don't really know how much stuff she uses etc, like for instance she's going to make a spag Bol today...I'd love some but she does big portions too and I only have about 1300 left today lol. I hope I can start estimating her meals, but don't want to go over either :(

This is the problem when other people cook for you - you will never be able to work it out properly that is why cal counted ready meals are a boon to some people. If she was making Spag Bol my MIL would start out by pouring oil into the pan then frying the meat and onion - at 120 cals a tablespoon for the oil she would be up there at about 600 cals already :eek: then adding the rest of the stuff plus giving you a big portion - the sky is the limit.

Once you get used to weighing out portions you get fairly competent at eyeballing things, like you figure out roughly what 125g mince looks like/what 50g pasta looks like (not that I ever eat just 50g pasta - pfft). Then just a few little questions i.e. "so do use sunflower or olive oil for cooking??" and then some educated gustimations should get you a ballpark figure (and ballparking is fine every now and then).

1200 for a spag bol though seems plenty to me....

Thanks so much.

Thinking of having chips, beans and egg later :)

YUM - change the beans to mushy peas & mint sauce and I'm there! (another hangover from my SW days :8855: )

Gotta be mushy peas and red sauce..nom nom. I've got mushy peas actually :D how do I work out the cals for red sauce lol

Gotta be mushy peas and red sauce..nom nom. I've got mushy peas actually :D how do I work out the cals for red sauce lol

Can't tell you the red sauce as I hate the stuff - love tomatoes but not if it come in a squeezy bottle :)
Egg, chips and beans are brilliant with a slice of bread - mint sauce on the mushy peas as well and plenty of it, hang over from my Nottingham days.

Can't tell you the red sauce as I hate the stuff - love tomatoes but not if it come in a squeezy bottle :)
Egg, chips and beans are brilliant with a slice of bread - mint sauce on the mushy peas as well and plenty of it, hang over from my Nottingham days.

I managed to weigh the red sauce :) I love the stuff, but ain't one of those people that have it with everything like cooked roast dinners and tha lol

Friday 2nd January 2015, foods

Breakfast

35g crunchy nut - 141
100ml semi skimmed milk - 50

Lunch

Cup of tea with milk and sweetener - 19
3 custard creams - 177
2 digestives - 138
Cheese n onion walkers star - 94

Dinner

300g chips with frylight - 256
220g baked beans - 190
2 vegetable fingers - 110
1 sandwich thin - 99
10g flora light - 28
30g tomato ketchup - 34

Snacks

2 slices bread - 204
30g flora light - 84
2g cheese - 40.. Was meant to be 20g but I dropped it on the floor (grated) lol
30g tomato ketchup - 40 (Heinz)

Total :- 1704/2000...still have 296 left..

Last edited:
I know I shouldn't weigh everyday..but I stopped the once and went off the rails lol. So I know weight fluctuates etc but dont mind in checking :)

Feel well crappy today :( might be tmi but its totm..wheres the chocolates?? Lol

Anyhows, im goin to see whats for breakfast :) no milk though so cereals out the question.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Ah forgot I had three little thorn tons chocolates last night..worked them out at around 65 cals each, so was still under my cals.

weight hasn't seemed to move yet. Wanting to keep an eye because I'll drop cals when I think I need after each week.Still haven't gone to see whats for breakfast lol, I don't want to get out my bed!

Come on - get up :D Scrambled eggs and toast ?

Ive finally got out of bed and had some breakfast lol, I had an activa breakfast pot and bel vita biscuits lol. We need to get shopping in so not much to choose from.

not a fan of scrambled eggs :( I might have boiled egg and toast later actually nom nom

Food dilemma!

1180 cals left for today...haven't had dinner yet, but I fancy Chinese chips..I usually have a bag to myself but dunno the calories! Lol

What are Chinese Chip - chips and curry sauce? If so what about Mayflower curry sauce mix or similar and Actifry Chips - did you have it on SW

Back