Why drink water on a VLCD ?

As with all medical queries then your GP is the best source of advice.

My GP told me that drinking between 4 and 6 litres of water a day (little and often) was perfectly safe and talked around 12 litres being dangerous or drinking large amounts in short time periods as being dangerous.

Therefore I had 6 litres a day and had 2 litres before 12pm, 2 more litres during the afternoon and then the last 2 litres before 8pm and found this fine.

There is in my opinion a definate link between water and weight loss for the reasons stated but to be safe you should consult your GP.

General agreement though is to space out the water as much as possible and don't binge water, also to have at least the minimum recommended by Cambridge of 2.25l.

From my own personal experience of customers 4 litres seems to be a great amount to drink during the day for good results.

Mike

I've noticed that since I've been drinking 3-4L (as opposed to struggling to reach 2.5) I've been less hungry and my losses have sped up.

I may have to make it 4-5L :p

wow im glad this thread is here as i was wondering.... Why so much water??
lol thanks
xx

That was very informative! knew bits and bobs of it but not all and glad i read it - hopefully my water will go down quicker and more easily now as i did struggle earlier!

Brilliant thread, thank you very much for some very interesting info.

Laura x

this post has motivated me to drink more water I am drinking 3 Litres atm but more cant hurt can it. Only problem I spend half day on loo as it is lol!!!

I'm confused to this now..

I told my cdc today that I'm drinking 4ltrs of water and she says it's too much and that I should only drink between 2-3 ltrs a day.

I agree with everything that's been written in the sticky, think it's great... but i'm confused! Help!

I must say, the water is helping me greatly

Hi!! great sticky, I have been wondering about the amount of water and why so much? now I will just do it, I find it very difficult to get the 4Lts down. Do you get used to drinking the amount or does it get always remain a problem??

thanks for all the information - very hard to drink so much water when it so cold outside but this will spur me on.

Last edited:
ahhhhhh i cant do it!!! ive tried and ive tried, the most i am managing is 1 litre a day, ( yesterday is was just 500mls!) i know this is wrong but i cant do it!
when i first started CD 5 weeks ago i was having at least 4 litres,( one day i had 6 litres then scared myself by reading about water intoxiation!!) its like a switch has gone in my head and i cant face drinking water anymore!

herbal teas (leaf...not fruit) - peppermint, nettle, green, redbush tea etc etc - all count towards your water intake - might be easier when it's soooo cold outside ??

hth

Debz xx

While Mike's advice is always good - and certainly isn't wrong in this case - I still thought it might be worth a link to another sticky here. There are so many 'stickies' these days that some of the messages get a bit lost, and I noticed that a couple of folks were struggling, water-wise.

This sticky http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/53190-water-consumption-please-read.html includes the latest official Cambrige Diet advice on water intake.

Hope this helps :)

herbal teas (leaf...not fruit) - peppermint, nettle, green, redbush tea etc etc - all count towards your water intake - might be easier when it's soooo cold outside ??

hth

Debz xx

Thanks for the tip - I do actually drink quite a lot of green and peppermint tea but was not sure it all counted. I can easily manage one litre of plain water a day so will make the rest up with teas and stop trying to force the plain water down...

While Mike's advice is always good - and certainly isn't wrong in this case - I still thought it might be worth a link to another sticky here. There are so many 'stickies' these days that some of the messages get a bit lost, and I noticed that a couple of folks were struggling, water-wise.

This sticky http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/53190-water-consumption-please-read.html includes the latest official Cambrige Diet advice on water intake.

Hope this helps :)

thx - this helps a lot and probably good to post with all the new starters and restarters.

Back