Accuracy of exercise cals

ApplySomePressure

Silver Member
Just wondering how accurate people find the exercise calories given in my fitness pal? I know a few people have heart rate monitors do wondered how the calories compared?

I've done a fair bit today- 6 mile walk, gym session and aerobics but still find it hard to believe I've burnt over 1000 calories! Ive eaten a bit over my normal allowance but not excessively.

It depends a lot on weight and effort as I am overweight I burn a lot more than someone who weighs 150lbs

Hope this helps - I have a hrm an it's says
I have burnt 950 cals after 70 mins of gym today x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I use the gym equipment, I enter my weight and it measures my HR and obviously knows how fast etc I am going - but I find mfp over estimates things, like if I did 25 minutes on the cross trainer at 161bpm the machine says 250 calories, and mfp said about 300..
so it's a bit out for me, tends to be about 50 calories out most of the time.

It can vary. I've got a HRM and it confirms some of MFP's figures but others are way under/over. There's too many variables for it to ever be very accurate. One hour of aerobics can be very very different depending on the instructor or how much effort you put in etc. I just think to use your common sense (which your already doing) and listen to your body. You'll know if you need to eat more. :)

Back